HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 6:06 PM
Show me the blueprints

It drives me nuts that so little design consideration was taken with the concrete piers. Would it have killed them to make them more sculptural? Not even sculptural, just graceful. These seem completely thoughtless, which is the worst kind of design. They could have flaired out from bottom to top and the cross girder could have been flush with the vertical columns instead set down on top with little relationship. They could have also gone with a solid pier like these on the Øresund Bridge in Denmark, which by the way has a railway on the lower deck:

http://www.arup.com/~/media/Images/C...hx?h=395&w=962

Amazing how that works. *Rolls eyes*

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 6:32 PM

the piers were designed to require less dredging and to keep open views. There are also two spans, unlike Øresund Bridge's main span - which doesn't leave open much to view.

http://www.fsncapital.com/index.php/contact

http://infraobservatory.com/post/815...ck-railway-and

Last edited by Hudson11; Sep 12, 2015 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 10:28 PM
Show me the blueprints

Understood. My beef is why couldn't ALL the piers look like the piers on the main span? They absolutely kill the slickness of the whole ensemble.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 11:42 PM

~~

Last edited by Cynicism; Sep 13, 2015 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 4:19 PM

America's priorities are tied up in global conflict and starving government, not spending on infrastructure.

People are lucky that the old bridge hasn't had a catastrophic collapse and to get a new bridge in the first place.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 1:28 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 5:23 AM

the main span towers are beginning to rise. Here are some aerial photos by David Piraino

Tappan Zee Bridge by Daniel Piraino, on Flickr

Tappan Zee Bridge by Daniel Piraino, on Flickr

Tappan Zee Bridge reconstruction by Daniel Piraino, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 3:53 PM

The Hudson River Valley truly is one of the most beautiful places in the US. It's too bad they couldn't have made a more graceful bridge.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 6:20 PM
Show me the blueprints

Just a wild thrown out question, but was a tunnel ever studied?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Just a wild thrown out question, but was a tunnel ever studied?
They did, but it would cost too much, and the openings to the tunnel will be too far away from the Communities that needed it. .

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:02 AM

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 2:46 AM

the new tappan zee bridge is shaping up to be a real eye sore...completely banal...

opportunity wasted...and an eye sore for the next 100 years...just awful

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
the new tappan zee bridge is shaping up to be a real eye sore...completely banal...

opportunity wasted...and an eye sore for the next 100 years...just awful
I kinda agree, too bad. At least after the just HORRID process that the SF Bay Bridge went through, they got a decent structure out of the process. Gawd the new Tappan Zee is a boring bridge.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:28 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

azealia banks would call this a "basic bridge."

but they did do pretty well for keeping river traffic well in mind.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 2:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpdx View Post
Gawd the new Tappan Zee is a boring bridge.
Hey, if you want to pay extra taxes for a nicer looking bridge be my guest, but I'm just fine going with the, "cheap" option when it comes to transportation infrastructure. Let the mega rich pay for luxury on 57th avenue and let the rest of us keep our tolls a little lower.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 2:23 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Good point on the taxes. Its kinda not in an area that will make the city look terrible, so its really a matter of functionality. As long as it can handle the traffic flow; efficiently, smooth, little hassle, then all is well. Now if they wanted to redesign the Manhattan Bridge, and made it look like rubbish, that's a different story.

I do wonder though if down the line a bridge upgrade is in order for the Manhattan bound bridges. The hope is that more people will use mass transit... but, there will be a point where traffic will become an issue. Its already bad during rush hour, but to the point where it becomes stagnant and really puts a dent in economic growth. Bad traffic costs the economy lots of $$$.

Probally the biggest hassle I can currently think of for the tri state area are the delays caused by the Goethals bridge redevelopment. Was in the area today and its just bumper to bumper, especially with all of the trucks going into Port Newark and Kearny.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
Hey, if you want to pay extra taxes for a nicer looking bridge be my guest, but I'm just fine going with the, "cheap" option when it comes to transportation infrastructure. Let the mega rich pay for luxury on 57th avenue and let the rest of us keep our tolls a little lower.
I think you are missing the point on two fronts:

1. good quality design doesn't have to be more expensive (e.g. why does the base of the bridge have yellow/black construction painting - remove that and you already help the design)

2. solid quality infrastructure is a rising tide that helps all gain more wealth. we are now in a global economy where "quality of place" helps attract business. it's easier for people to locate businesses anywhere in the world. people/businesses are moving to Singapore/Hong Kong/Shanghai because their infrastructure is better and of higher quality and design...sure we can build shit...and we'll be left with a shit economy..."pay more and you make more - do you want to be walmart or apple?"

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 12:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
1. good quality design doesn't have to be more expensive (e.g. why does the base of the bridge have yellow/black construction painting - remove that and you already help the design)
Because those are hazard colors to tell ships not to run into the piers..

Quote:
2. solid quality infrastructure is a rising tide that helps all gain more wealth. we are now in a global economy where "quality of place" helps attract business. it's easier for people to locate businesses anywhere in the world. people/businesses are moving to Singapore/Hong Kong/Shanghai because their infrastructure is better and of higher quality and design...sure we can build shit...and we'll be left with a shit economy..."pay more and you make more - do you want to be walmart or apple?"
Business doesn't give a shit what infrastructure looks like, they care if it works. And are you seriously using Apple as a compassion? So you would rather have something of equal/inferior design for twice the cost just because pop culture says it looks better? Apple is the WORST possible comparison ever. I would LOVE if our infrastructure could be like WallMart, cheap and incredibly efficient...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 10:23 PM
BANNED

[QUOTE=BrownTown;7290564]Hey, if you want to pay extra taxes for a nicer looking bridge be my guest, but I'm just fine going with the, "cheap" option when it comes to transportation infrastructure. Let the mega rich pay for luxury on 57th avenue and let the rest of us keep our tolls a little lower.[/QUOTE

Well, it's true about the taxes, but come on, if you want to be surrounded by ugliness and banality for the rest of your life in order to have a so-called "higher quality of life" (extra income), I certainly don't agree. Being surrounded by a great looking cityscape has an uplifting and inspiring affect on the quality of life even if some don't realize that. The Danes pay high taxes and are usually ranked among the happiest nations. I'm sure their great looking infrastructure and manicured landscapes have something to do with that, don't yo uthink? There are lower taxes and more wealthy folks, but more uninspiring build environment. It is a sad trade-off. The majority of people are left with the ugly landscape and only a bit of extra income to make up for it. Not a good deal.

Last edited by aquablue; Jan 13, 2016 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 2:37 AM

Some impressive Tappan Zee photos were recently taken by a reddit user....unfortunately they are too big to post... http://imgur.com/a/D0V3Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development