HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post

Which do you think would suck life out more? if Calgary had built underground would it be better or worse for street life?
I don't know. I have not enough experience with skywalks to be able to compare. I know that in Montreal, sometimes, it feels like there are more people underground than above and I can't help to think that if all those people would all be walking outside, downtown would feel much more vibrant. I just find it a little sad that you have to go check downstairs to see that there are some action downtown. Not always, but often. How does that compare to Calgary's situation with walkways ? I don't know. Do you ?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Why is ug better? Previously I have used both RESO and PATH extensively and I prefer the +15 WAY MORE. Seeing daylight and the sun is critical. Well at least it much be since both RESO and PATH have built some pretty impressive skylights to bring the sun into the ug realm!

BTW, since both PATH and RESO are bigger than the +15 network, the real issue with Calgary is that we still don't have the critical mass DT like those two cities. Which makes sense since we are much smaller than either.

Personally I'm ok with the +15 network. Serious users know it's crowded in the winter and dead in the summer. No surprise. Interesting in that I find the +15 less used in the summer than either PATH/RESO. Humidity/heat like in Houston?

I don't think this is really accurate ... I'm willing to bet downtown Calgary is more dense then downtown Montreal from a office per square foot point of view ... Montreal's core is much more spread ...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 1:55 AM
ARTchitecture

I'll go around and take some pics of the plus 15s tomorrow. It's the largest skywalk network in the world in a municipality of 1.2 million people, it's obviously not just a series of hallways It will of course be integrated into the two planned subway lines as well.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
New York doesn't have anything like it, but it's very crowded and no one get run over. A city needs to have people walking on its streets. Calgary has pretty much no snow compared to Montréal or even Toronto.
Calgary and Toronto actually have similar amounts of snowfall on an annual basis. If we actually break it down, Calgary receives more snow per year than Toronto. It's not a huge amount, but to say Calgary has "pretty much no snow" compared to Toronto is simply not true.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...hys08a-eng.htm

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
It's because RÉSO is an interconnected underground complex. shopping malls, apartment buildings, hotels, banks, condos, offices, museums, universities, 7 Metro stations, 2 commuter train station, regional bus terminal, Bell Center. You can't do that with an outdoor network. Many tunnels are large enough to have shops on both sides of the passage.

but most importantly, the design ++

The Future
by The Irish Samurai, on Flickr

Lieu de passage I
by David Ouellette, on Flickr

Montreal Underground: Victoria Square
by UncaMikey, on Flickr

station de métro Jarry
by leuntje, on Flickr

Beaudry | 1
by Simon Laroche_8, on Flickr

etc.
I walked through all of these this summer while in Montreal. They certainly are futuristic and very cool looking I remember commenting to myself how awesome the designs were.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:05 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
I don't know. I have not enough experience with skywalks to be able to compare. I know that in Montreal, sometimes, it feels like there are more people underground than above and I can't help to think that if all those people would all be walking outside, downtown would feel much more vibrant. I just find it a little sad that you have to go check downstairs to see that there are some action downtown. Not always, but often. How does that compare to Calgary's situation with walkways ? I don't know. Do you ?
I've been in Montreal's underground, in Edmonton's mix of underground and above ground and in Calgary's above ground and of the three systems, I found that the most pedestrian life/traffic outside was in Calgary - my feeling is if you're walking about in Calgary's system and you can see that it's bright and sunny outside, then there is a good chance that some of those people inside will venture outside. Being underground pretty much takes away any sense of the outside world and what it might be like out there - I know there were times when I was in the +15 system in Calgary during the lunch hour and deliberately went outside on a winter day because one could see it just wasn't that bad outside, a little bit of fresh air can do wonders for one's psyche even it's a bit chilly.\
Another interesting thing about Calgary's +15 system is there are some wonderful little outdoor parks hidden on the +15 level plus there's some very nice indoor park spaces as well - Devonian Gardens would be the largest although it's new sterile dentist office feel doesn't quite work for me.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
I've been in Montreal's underground, in Edmonton's mix of underground and above ground and in Calgary's above ground and of the three systems, I found that the most pedestrian life/traffic outside was in Calgary - my feeling is if you're walking about in Calgary's system and you can see that it's bright and sunny outside, then there is a good chance that some of those people inside will venture outside. Being underground pretty much takes away any sense of the outside world and what it might be like out there - I know there were times when I was in the +15 system in Calgary during the lunch hour and deliberately went outside on a winter day because one could see it just wasn't that bad outside, a little bit of fresh air even it's a bit chilly can do wonders for one's psyche.
I don't think you can really compare Montreal's system to anywhere else in Canada (outside of Toronto). The city has dozens of kilometres of underground pathways, one of the largest on the entire planet. To even try and compare that to something in Calgary or Edmonton.... well let's just say it's apples and oranges.

Also, I used Montreal's underground network this summer while it was raining and it came in so handy. Took the hotel elevator down to the underground network, took a few hallways which led into the subway. Got off a few stops over, walked into a mall, did some shopping, ate lunch, saw a movie, and went back to my hotel all without going outside. Now that is an awesome system. I know TO is similar of course, I've used it many times. But these two cities are on total different levels with their parallel pedestrian networks.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
I don't think you can really compare Montreal's system to anywhere else in Canada (outside of Toronto). The city has dozens of kilometres of underground pathways, one of the largest on the entire planet. To even try and compare that to something in Calgary or Edmonton.... well let's just say it's apples and oranges.
32km of tunnels spread over more than 12 km2. There are more than 120 exterior access points to the underground city.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:15 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Of note, Martin Mtl is the one that posed the comparison question - I only responded in kind to it and I think a comparison can be made.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:30 AM
ARTchitecture

Being over 18 kilometers long and growing very quickly, I'd say the Plus 15 system is very comparable. Might be much smaller, but it's still very large in its own right. The system types in and of themselves are apples to oranges, but not their extents or the affect on the cores of their respective cities. With BP, Manulife, City Centre, Place 10, Eau Claire, Eau Claire Tower, and the many other buildings going up on the network, I wouldn't be surprised to see at 20 kilometers by 2017, and well into the 20s by the 2020s.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Of note, Martin Mtl is the one that posed the comparison question - I only responded in kind to it and I think a comparison can be made.
No, Trans-Canada suggested the comparison. Like I said, I can't compare, since I've never been to Calgary.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 6:03 AM
gettin' rich!

The newest skywalk in Toronto

Southcore connection to Toronto Harbourfront.

It goes under the Gardiner and over the Lakeshore.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 11:05 PM
gettin' rich!

A tour through the Brand New Skywalks in Southcore

Enjoy!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 7:58 AM
gettin' rich!

More

Last edited by caltrane74; Jan 18, 2015 at 12:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 9:00 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

With the new arena and some towers u/c, this was bound to happen sooner or later.

As Edmonton's pedway system currently totals about 13 km, a 40% increase would put it up to over 18 km.

Quote:
Lamphier: It’s Pedwaytropolis! City’s pedway network to undergo big expansion

By Gary Lamphier, Edmonton Journal April 25, 2015

EDMONTON - Downtown Edmonton’s sprawling indoor pedway system is about to undergo a major expansion, extending its reach throughout the city core.

The new Edmonton Arena District is driving much of the anticipated growth as city planners, working closely with developers, seek to integrate several new trophy buildings into the current tri-level indoor pathway network, which includes underground, ground-level and second-storey pedways.

“We’re going to have 40 per cent more pedways by the time the buildings under construction right now are built, never mind what else might be constructed,” says Jim Taylor, president of the Downtown Business Association, and a big fan of pedways.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...435/story.html

As this map is from the EAD website (http://www.ead.ca/), this map does not show planned/proposed pedway extensions to places such as the Kelly-Ramsey Building (u/c - across 101 St from Manulife Place - right where it says "FINANCIAL DISTRICT" in the map)

For an even bigger version of the map below:

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 6:56 PM
Rational urbanist

What does a ground level pedway look like? Are there just tunnels running along the surface between buildings?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 7:22 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I would guess just a podium mall thing.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 8:42 PM

Rideau Centre Skywalks have been posted here before; opened in 83' there big, outdated, in rough shape and all around eyesores. One of them even punches a hole in Hudson Bay's façade.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cdhc/4391837410/

http://centretown.blogspot.ca/2014/0...lic-realm.html

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/LocationPh...a_Ontario.html

The east skywalk, the widest one connecting the Hudson Bay's 83' expansion (the Freiman Mall) and used as retail space for HBC, is currently closed for renovations while the west skywalk, punching a hole in the older part of the HBC building is rumored to be demolished once the east bridge re-opens, although the renderings of the renovated/expanded Rideau show both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post

Apr 14, 2015
Photo by me
Rendering with east skywalk on the right:

http://www.entuitive.com/project/rid...and-expansion/

Rendering with west skywalk on the left, which might actually be removed:

http://www.bharchitects.com/en/projects/397

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 8:59 PM

Edmonton's Pedway could really use better signage within the actual pathways. Especially in the Westin/Churchill Square/Winspear/AGA area.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 6:07 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Edmonton's Pedway could really use better signage within the actual pathways. Especially in the Westin/Churchill Square/Winspear/AGA area.
Wouldn't be too tough to accomplish, Calgary did it fairly quickly a couple years before I moved here, to my understanding. Signage and interactive map pedestals really do wonders for the cohesion of the network.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada