HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 7:00 PM

Nice trespassing. Should have slipped that model in your pocket.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 2:01 AM

Thanks for the updates photolith.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 9:55 PM

I dunno about you guys but these residential buildings, while tall on paper, always seem squatty to me in real life. Anybody else feel that way?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 2:47 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
What are you talking about, what project?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 6:33 PM

the one on the old turnberry site is Hine's One Waterwall: http://goingupcity.blogspot.com/2012...waterwall.html

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
What are you talking about, what project?
The 20-story residential building in near the Galleria. I think it's on Post Oak.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 2:14 AM
Project manger

Houston seems to have a lot of dead threads. Ive always had a love for Texas, and its to bad to see such ( Building threads ) empty and un-used in some case for 3 years. Whats the point in keeping them here?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 2:24 AM
Ex Houstonian

The only active Houston thread on here is this one. Everyones over at HAIF, I wish they would abandon that site and come over here.

I rode my bike past the Carter Building downtown on Main and they are gutting the bottom floor where that Dominoes used to be and it looked like they were starting to remove that crap 1960s cladding, giving light to the old bricks underneath.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 3:15 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Ashby Highrise To Start Construction By End of Year
Buckhead Investment Partners’ Kevin Kirton tells former HBJ staffer Allison Wollam that his company plans to submit the latest version of the now-21-story apartment building known as the Ashby Highrise to the city for its already assured permitting approvals in the “very near future” — in time to begin construction late this year. Building the project, he says, should take 18 to 24 months
http://swamplot.com/ashby-highrise-t...comment-269250

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=talle...:14,s:51,i:347

New render for Ashby highrise.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 5:24 PM

^errr. . . what??? That's a proposed building in Dubai. . . perhaps I'm missing something???

. . .

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 6:06 PM

Because its a joke.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 6:11 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
^errr. . . what??? That's a proposed building in Dubai. . . perhaps I'm missing something???

. . .
The people that live around where this tower is getting built have been flipping the f out for years over it and have these stupid yellow signs in front of their lawns that have a picture of a giant like 50 story building with huge scary arms reaching out over their neighborhood and they are saying this building will create traffic jams and overall they have just been really douchey about the whole thing. About 2 months ago their neighborhood organization came out with a letter saying that if this tower gets built they will do everything in their power to make the new tenants feel unwelcome in their community and will send them letters in their mail saying how much they dislike them. Heres some of the douche things they will do.

•As soon as we can identify your investors and lenders, we will appear at their places of business and their homes to demonstrate our opposition.

•We will appear at the places of business and homes of the contractors and other service providers who agree to work on your project and demonstrate our opposition

•If anyone leases your space for a laydown yard or contractor parking, we will appear at their places of business and their homes and demonstrate our opposition

•We will scrupulously monitor the construction of the project and we will report and seek relief for every violation of every applicable requirement.

•If you nevertheless succeed in constructing this project, we will not stop our opposition, and we will take every lawful action available to us. It is important that you, your investors, and your construction and permanent lenders understand this

•We will picket your leasing office. Not once or twice, but at all times it is open.

•We will identify your tenants and send regular communications to them at their units and their places of business to let them know that they are not welcome in our neighborhood.

•We will appear at the homes of the owners, investors, and chef of your restaurant tenant and demonstrate our opposition to their presence in our neighborhood.

•We will post unfavorable reviews of your restaurant tenant on dining websites.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsde...egun-to-fight/

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 8:42 PM

Sounds like outright harassment. . .

. . .

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 9:28 PM

Quote:
The people that live around where this tower is getting built have been flipping the f out for years over it and have these stupid yellow signs in front of their lawns that have a picture of a giant like 50 story building with huge scary arms reaching out over their neighborhood and they are saying this building will create traffic jams and overall they have just been really douchey about the whole thing. About 2 months ago their neighborhood organization came out with a letter saying that if this tower gets built they will do everything in their power to make the new tenants feel unwelcome in their community and will send them letters in their mail saying how much they dislike them. Heres some of the douche things they will do.

•As soon as we can identify your investors and lenders, we will appear at their places of business and their homes to demonstrate our opposition.

•We will appear at the places of business and homes of the contractors and other service providers who agree to work on your project and demonstrate our opposition

•If anyone leases your space for a laydown yard or contractor parking, we will appear at their places of business and their homes and demonstrate our opposition

•We will scrupulously monitor the construction of the project and we will report and seek relief for every violation of every applicable requirement.

•If you nevertheless succeed in constructing this project, we will not stop our opposition, and we will take every lawful action available to us. It is important that you, your investors, and your construction and permanent lenders understand this

•We will picket your leasing office. Not once or twice, but at all times it is open.

•We will identify your tenants and send regular communications to them at their units and their places of business to let them know that they are not welcome in our neighborhood.

•We will appear at the homes of the owners, investors, and chef of your restaurant tenant and demonstrate our opposition to their presence in our neighborhood.

•We will post unfavorable reviews of your restaurant tenant on dining websites.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsde...egun-to-fight/
Sounds like their asking for a lawsuit, I can guarantee if those things start to happen it's going to get ugly real quick.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 12:03 AM
disorient yourself?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 12:48 AM

Just because you live in or near that neighborhood doesn't give you the right to turn it into a quarantined zone under your control. I live only two miles from the propsed site and I get my groceries among all of the anti-Ashby people on a weekly basis which gives me at last a tiny bit of exposure to them. Oddly enough I've never experienced any of them acting so pretentious and controlling as with this singular issue. I drive the same streets they do and I am not getting the traffic argument. The only large traffic issue there is caused by the traffic lights covered by trees and the metro buses. Extra cars here and there due to the Ashby highrise is not going to make that much of a difference and there are so many side streets that these people could easily offset their routes while only adding a minute to their trip.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 3:43 AM
Ex Houstonian

Yes, the traffic argument makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I honestly really dont know why these people are so hardcore against a 22 story building. Id welcome it over those crappy 1970s styled apartments that occupy the site now.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 3:49 AM
disorient yourself?

Quote:
Yes, the traffic argument makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I honestly really dont know why these people are so hardcore against a 22 story building. Id welcome it over those crappy 1970s styled apartments that occupy the site now.
They live in the middle of the city. Neighborhoods like that can't look like Leave it to Beaver forever, especially when they are in the middle of the city. At least the tower is going to be ON Bissonnet instead of Hazard or some other quiet side street.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 5:01 AM
Ex Houstonian

If they hate towers and density so much they should move to Katy or Kingwood and languish there.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 2:17 PM
Dryer lint inspector

those residents are ok with strip centers and large buildings being built in other residents' neighborhoods but are up in arms when it hits closer to home. i say to hell with them; with the power and influence these folks have, they could have lobbied for stricter dead restrictions or even zoning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations