HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Hunter's Point South Tower 1 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 2:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Yeah, anything is better than nothing. I meant design wise. Not a big fan of it.
I like the openness of it, and it will probably be interesting to see at night from Manhattan...

The interior will probably be the best feature though...

http://www.archdaily.com/108431/quee...iew-uncropped/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 8:31 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I like the openness of it, and it will probably be interesting to see at night from Manhattan...

The interior will probably be the best feature though...
I gotta agree with the interior

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 4:07 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=5197

Reaching for the Sky in Queens
SHoP gets a shot at Hunters Point South affordable megaplex.

Tom Stoelker

Quote:
Over one week in mid-February, SHoP Architects was selected to design the first two residential towers at Hunters Point South, add a 429-foot residential tower and school to the recently rezoned Hudson Square, and design the first residential tower at Atlantic Yards. Of the three projects, Hunters Point South developed by Related and the non-profit Phipps Houses stands apart. There, the firm will be designing apartment towers where 75 percent of the units will be permanently targeted toward low and middle-income households. It will be the largest affordable housing complex built in New York since the 1970s.

“They’re very different areas. At Hunters Point it’s almost like inventing a new neighborhood,” said SHoP’s Gregg Pasquarelli. “In Atlantic Yards it’s a vibrant community with a hole in the center and at Hudson Square, we’re knitting together what are probably three of the most important neighborhoods of the city.”

Speaking for Related, where he is currently VP for planning and development, Vishaan Chakrabarti said Hunters Point will have all the ingredients needed to become a successful neighborhood, including subway access, new ferry routes, and enough density to activate retail and restaurants. “Related has been a proponent since the Olympic bid, so we were very bullish on the site,” said Chakrabarti, noting that the prime views across the river of Midtown, the United Nations, and the Chrysler Building are “an amenity that you usually associate with the super rich.”

Chakrabarti added that part of the reason SHoP was selected was based on their ability work well with contactors. “They create a kind of architecture that is ultimately clear for contractors to build, because it has to do with a technologically-based design process,” he said.

The design is still in the conceptual stage and many technical issues need to be ironed out. According to City Planning regulations, Hunters Point South falls within a special purpose zoning district where base heights must be 50 to 75 feet before setting back to towers not to exceed 400 feet. The two mixed-use buildings, separated by 51st Street, are expected to be completed in 2014. They include 900 apartment units, a school and 20,000 square feet of retail space concentrated along 50th Street and Second Avenue.

Attempts were made to maximize views by massing the buildings around a courtyard incorporated into the larger of the two buildings, although that part of the design has not been finalized. The courtyard, actually a green roof, would rest about four stories above the street, nestled between two small wings to the east and west and on larger mass to north, somewhat recalling the roof terraces of Rockefeller Center.

As the building sits on a flood plane, parking could not be placed below ground, so it is buried within the core of the larger building. “There’s nothing more neighborhood-killing than seeing five levels of parking before you get to peoples’ homes,” said Pasquarelli.
Center Boulevard will separate the buildings from a five-acre waterfront park, so as to encourage public access. “We did look at Battery Park as a model,” Chakrabarti said, “but this will have more diversity of design and socio economic makeup.”

The towers will appear related but distinct. “We asked, should they be twins, sisters, cousins, friends or strangers? And I think we ended up with friends,” said the architect, apparently with an eye to Queens’ emerging skyline. “This was not a tower in the park,” he said. “We thought about this as the first phase of many buildings.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 9:45 PM
BROOKLYN

They should build something with some kind of observation deck.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 11:23 PM

The Williamsburg Savings Bank Tower one of the tallest buildings in Brooklyn has an observation deck, but it's closed due to fears from the September 11th 2001 World Trade Center attacks.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 5:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
The Williamsburg Savings Bank Tower one of the tallest buildings in Brooklyn has an observation deck, but it's closed due to fears from the September 11th 2001 World Trade Center attacks.
I believe it was closed before then, but it won't reopen because of the conversion to private residences.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 4:40 AM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...gest_party.php

NYC's Biggest Affordable Housing Project Ends LIC's Biggest Party?

Wednesday, March 30, 2011, by Joey Arak

Quote:

The Water Taxi Beach concept has been exported to the South Street Seaport and Governors Island, but the seasonal urban faux-beach on the Long Island City waterfront is the original and our favorite. Or rather, was our favorite. NewYorkology reports that the LIC Water Taxi Beach (born summer 2005) is in jeopardy because of a "city construction project." That would be Hunters Point South, the massive middle-income community and waterfront park project officially unveiled last month. The first phase of Hunters Point South includes two residential towers and five acres of green space, and based on the EDC's library of renderings, it looks like the sand of WTB is being swapped out for grass, and ice-cold beers are being replaced by babies.

The beach is becoming a park!

The Water Taxi Beach site is at the end of Borden Avenue, which, according to designs from 2009 for the Hunters Point South park, lines up with a lounge chair plaza, a café and "The Green." Here's the full layout of the site.
http://ny.curbed.com/uploads/2011_3_beach2.jpg

What's The Green? The EDC offers an early glimpse of that, too. We think it may also double as a UFO landing pad. Now that's planning for the future!

But all is not lost. Water Taxi Beach exec Michael Fox told NewYorkology that negotiations are still underway to either keep the space or move to a different one nearby. Just dump the sand on Willets Point and let's get this party started!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 9:08 PM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...taxi_beach.php

LIC Megaproject Tramples on the Ashes of Water Taxi Beach

Wednesday, April 6, 2011, by Joey Arak

Quote:
All good things must come to an end, and so it goes for Long Island City's Water Taxi Beach, the sandy summertime adult playground that is being sucked into Hunters Point South, the massive development that will include apartment towers and a waterfront park. Word may have just arrived that Water Taxi Beach is dunzo, but a peek at the Hunters Point South site today shows that the sand and beachy vibes are already distant memories. As for the rest of the site, work was humming. The first phase of the megaproject is supposed to wrap up in 2014.

The northeast corner has been turned into a dog run for now.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 10:43 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...velopment.html

Long Island City Water Taxi Beach, popular waterfront watering hole, closing indefinitely

BY Mark Morales
April 7th 2011

Quote:

A sandy hot spot in Long Island City is waving goodbye after the city told the business it had to leave while a mega-development is being constructed nearby.

The Water Taxi Beach plans to send out an email blast Thursday informing its patrons that the five-year-old waterfront watering hole has been scrapped indefinitely.

Owner Tom Fox announced on the company's website Tuesday that the beach was making way for Hunter's Point South, a 5,000-unit housing complex and waterfront park. The city Economic Development Corp. denied a proposal for construction of a new beach at a nearby location, Fox also noted.

Fox told the Daily News that he was happy the beach was a success but sad it can't serve Long Island City anymore.

"We wish something could be worked out but the city's the landlord and they've been good enough to let us stay there for as long as they did," he said.

The EDC isn't ruling out the possibility of the Water Taxi Beach coming back to Long Island City sometime down the road, an agency official said.

"While the construction of a waterfront park and affordable housing development has displaced Water Taxi Beach for now, we hope there will be opportunities for future partnerships," said EDC spokeswoman Julie Wood.

Although beachgoers flocked there for fun in the sun, some local residents complained about the loud music and hard partyers.

Terri Adams, 69, lives a few blocks from the beach and said some "unruly" visitors would sometimes damage nearby property and urinate on the street.

"They just had no consideration for the community that lived there. The patrons didn't do right by the community," Adams said.

But patrons said they were sad to see it go.

Al Volpie, a longtime Woodside resident, said he loved the beach and called it "the best thing to happen to the neighborhood in years."

"I used to go down during the summer and I would just look out. You have a million-dollar view," he said of the panoramic view of Manhattan.

Water Taxi Beach has two other locations - at Governors Island and the South Street Seaport.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 8:46 AM

When do they start laying the grass here and take out the sand?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 11:13 AM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...ed_trailer.php

Hunters Point South Megaproject Now Has an Animated Trailer

Monday, August 22, 2011, by Sara Polsky

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 12:15 PM

^ Nice video, looks like a quality development.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 1:31 PM

I'm bummed. While the park certainly looks nice, Water Taxi Beach was such a unique space, with the most fantastic views of the skyline as a back drop to dance the night away.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I'm bummed. While the park certainly looks nice, Water Taxi Beach was such a unique space, with the most fantastic views of the skyline as a back drop to dance the night away.
Agreed. Wish it could be replaced, but you know the new residents would not put up with the noise.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 5:29 PM
Bionic Boogie

DSC_2899 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

DSC_2901 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

DSC_2902 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

DSC_2903 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 1:43 PM
Bionic Boogie

school is going up fast!

DSC_3162 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 1:39 PM
Bionic Boogie

1 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

2 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 5:18 PM

Only slightly related to this development, I heard that the corner lot between The Yard and the powerplant recently changed hands and was all systems go for construction soon. This is where the old chemical plant that was torn down used to be. Last time I was by there the cars were all gone, but maybe it was a slow day?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 5:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...ed_trailer.php

Hunters Point South Megaproject Now Has an Animated Trailer

Monday, August 22, 2011, by Sara Polsky

Video Link
Uh...someone needs to teach those ukulele players how to tune them! Nice video though, and this is going to be an incredible development, especially if they actually manage to create affordable housing. What are the economics behind this?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 6:31 PM

Eh, I mean, subsidize it with tax dollars? There's not much of a better answer then that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive