HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 10:08 PM
North Beach

Almost there:

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 1:30 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi123 View Post
It looks like this building will be nice at street level. There will be bamboo , a water feature and tables and chairs...

I stand corrected, hi123. This will indeed be on the ground level. They are clearly building this on the western side of the building. I thought this area would be a driveway:

I agree. This will be really nice.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 5:12 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Other than the first floor, it looks like all the glazing is finally done:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 5:16 AM
Only Mostly Dead

They've begun pouring the hardscape around the entrance. This is the area where the ground floor plaza will be (as seen in the renderings that hi123 posted a couple of pages ago):

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 4:19 AM
Only Mostly Dead

A familiar angle, but now the glazing is done:

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 4:38 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Getting the sidewalk put back together again, and adding some trees:

I like the tree grates they selected:

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 8:42 PM
Green Berniecrat

Good to see this one wrapping up. I like the grates too, they look like fossilized raindrops.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 5:44 AM
Only Mostly Dead

This place will have a lot of greenery in a very small area. These are staged on the east side (seen from the back):

Some that have already been planted on the western end of the back patio:

The alleyway along the western side is still very much a work in progress. That's the ground floor patio area in the background:

If you recall, there's a building in the back that houses some of the mechanicals. They built a garage onto the back of it:

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 3:49 AM
Only Mostly Dead

The entrance is getting closer to completion. And they've installed some public art:

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 6:01 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Over on the other side, the small "plaza" is ready for furnishing. I'm guessing that fencing laying on the ground will go up along the sidewalk so they can close this off at night:

Last edited by peanut gallery; Dec 13, 2008 at 6:11 AM. Reason: wrong photo, thanks, BT!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 3:21 AM
Only Mostly Dead

The ground floor area is now completed on the western side (the eastern side, where the main entrance is located, is still under construction):

And that metal fence went in a little further back than I expected:

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 10:04 AM
Green Berniecrat

Nice pictures p.g. Is there a specific reason that "garage" is back there? Some sort of luxury space for the penthouse owners?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 5:12 PM
Only Mostly Dead

It looks to me like a maintenance/storage area, although it seems rather large for a relatively small building. This building features some type of automated parking system, which is supposed to deliver a tenant's car in a few minutes. Perhaps this space is related to that in some way?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 3:05 AM
Only Mostly Dead

The main residents' entrance is shaping up and the art has been unwrapped:

It reminds me of ears:

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 6:52 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
The main residents' entrance is shaping up and the art has been unwrapped:

It reminds me of ears:
OK, that does it! I'll take those cool goofy heads at 555 Mission any day over these.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 2:45 AM
Only Mostly Dead

The sculptures are set in water, with dozens of small fountain heads that keep a consistent series of waves on the surface:

There is also a small waterfall:

Between the surface of the water, the back of the sculpture and the signage, I'm sensing a pattern:

I also grabbed a couple shots of the tenants' lobby:

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 5:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, February 27, 2009
Lenders forcing price cuts at Blu, other S.F. condo developments
Projects need to boost sales to get loans approved
San Francisco Business Times - by J.K. Dineen San Francisco Business Times

Developers Lennar and Malcolm Properties are aiming for an April opening of their San Francisco condo tower Blu, a 114-unit boutique mid-rise that is getting rave reviews for its quality architecture and finishes.

But besides a lousy housing market, the developers face another hurdle before opening: new lending requirements that dictate 25 percent of the building be pre-sold before the bank will finalize any of the loans. Blu is about 12 percent sold; it must sell another 15 to 17 units to open on time.

Already, the deadline prompted Lennar and Malcolm to slash prices by up to 26 percent two weeks ago to draw new buyers to the 631 Folsom St. property. Prices were cut from $809,000 to $631,000 for some units, while a penthouse priced at $2.5 million was slashed to $1.8 million.

Blu is the first of several Bay Area projects that will be affected by the new lending requirements, which are likely to spur deep price cuts or conversions to rentals. In some cases, they already have.

“We are at a price model right now that is below anything else in the marketplace to get absorption to 25 percent,” said Chris Foley, a principal with Polaris Group, which is handling marketing and sales for the building. “We are telling buyers this is a massive discount. Prices are not going to stay this way.”

Lennar Director of Sales Lynn Bell said the reductions put the project “below market.”

“These were hard prices for us to swallow,” said Bell. “We are in a situation where we have to position ourselves to start closing. So we need to put the pricing at a level where buyers will say ‘I can’t pass this up. It doesn’t make sense for me to pass this up.’ And I think we hit that level based on the amount of interest and the amount of traffic coming through.”

Even higher requirements

Even the 25 percent pre-sale requirement is well below the latest standards banks are quoting, according to industry sources. Paul Zeger of Pacific Marketing Associates said “the rules are changing weekly right now — that is how bad it is.” Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have always required at least a 50 percent pre-sale requirement, but banks essentially had a waiver giving them flexibility to start closing units before the 50 percent was met. Now banks are no longer willing to take that risk.

“The world has shifted, the pendulum goes the other way, and the banks get cautious,” said Zeger. “In the last couple of weeks we have heard 50, 70, 75 percent. Everybody is messing with their own internal policies.”

The new lending realities may have the effect of forcing developers to rent buildings rather than struggle to reach an unrealistic pre-sales goal. At least two building that are complete — the 52 unit Artani at 818 Van Ness Ave. and the 179-unit Argenta at 1 Jones St. — have been repositioned as rentals. Another building, Walid Mondo’s 69-unit 829 Folsom St., is nearing completion, but has yet to open a sales office. All three would face a pre-sales requirement of at least 50 percent.

Other current projects with 25 percent requirements include Homes on Esprit Park and Cubix. Loring Sagan, a principal with Esprit Park owner Build Inc., said they were able to sell enough units to meet their requirement.

“We’re lucky — I think 50 percent has become the norm,” said Sagan.

William Mollard, sales manager at Cubix, said the project has sold 35 percent and just introduced a new lease-to-own program to try to boost sales.

“If we were coming out today, the best we could do is 50 percent, and there is a possibility it would be 51 to 71 percent depending on who was doing the underwriting,” he said.

The trouble with the pre-sale standards is that it’s not easy to reach 50 percent — or even 25 percent — in a topsy-turvy economy where buyers in contract are losing their jobs and watching their investments portfolios get wiped out. At Homes on Esprit Park, out of 25 buyers who have fallen out of contract, half could no longer get financing, while the rest were either laid off or had suffered significant investment losses, Sagan said.

“The reality is trying to keep homebuyers together long enough to get to 25 percent is like herding cats,” said Zeger. “You have constant movement that is hard to bundle and get across the finish line.”

John Malcolm, CEO of Malcolm Properties, said he understands why the banks need to be more conservative.

“If I were a lender, I would try to have requirements to secure my position in a building, and I think that’s fair. I think if they go beyond that (25 percent), they are going to hamper or hurt the market,” he said.

Poor timing

Blu was designed by Glenn Rescalvo of Handel Architects, the same architect who did the Four Seasons on Market Street and the new Millennium Tower on Mission Street. Planned during the peak times, the project was conceived of as a scaled down, more affordable alternative to the Millennium. It has similar finishes, but doesn’t have the deluxe amenities or astounding views.

The Blu sales office opened in April of 2008, a time when the San Francisco condo market was starting to weaken but condo developers were still logging pre-sales. The willingness of buyers to put a non-refundable deposit on an incomplete condo unit fizzled out in September when Lehman Brothers went belly up and an already poor economy further deteriorated. Since then, buyers have become extremely hesitant to invest in unfinished homes.

“Buyers want to see it, feel it, touch it, and maybe even sleep in it a couple of nights before they sign their purchase and sale agreement,” said Lennar’s Bell.

Since prices were slashed, traffic through the sales office has increased tenfold. Last week, more than 100 people toured the building, which is between Second and Third streets. The majority of prospective buyers are currently renters.

“The prices on this first tranche of homes are mind-boggling,” said Foley. “It’s cheaper than renting. It’s amazing design. Why would I not do it?”

Email J.K. Dineen at jkdineen@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4971
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 12:13 AM

Updates...

Construction updates please.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 12:14 AM

Updates...

Photos please.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 3:29 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaso View Post
Construction updates please.
Go away please.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive