HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:42 AM

I just sent Durst this nastygram:

"I am writing to express my extreme disappointment with your corporation's ill-advised decision to change the architectural design of the spire/antenna mast on top of World Trade Center One. SOM's final design for the radome covering the spire was both aesthetically pleasing, contiguous with the building's design, and functional in that it allowed for maintenance to be conducted on the mast while protected from the elements. This tower is not just another building in NYC, it is a memorial to the events and loss of life on 9-11 and a new centerpiece for the city. Your company will ultimately be held responsible by not only the people of NYC, but all of the U.S. who look to this symbol of national pride if your selfish and foolish change to the spire is implemented. That should make for some good long-term PR!"

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
I am certain that Minoru Yamasaki if he was alive today would be extremely upset with the designs and the work of the current World Trade Center. It's so slow, inefficient, and every corner is being cut.
There's some purity in 1960/70's highrise design isn't there? Huge and fully built out. Almost all floors an office from 2-110. We seem to add alot of non-rentable filler nowadays that end up with misleading floor counts.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 6:13 AM
An Optimistic Realist

I'm starting to move toward government finance and the "build it and they will come" ideology for not only 1 WTC but for the whole new World Trade Center as well. If this isn't any old tower,but a symbol for America and its people, the people can pay taxes to finance this instead. I may be talking crazy,but I simply don't trust private companies like Durst and DCM anymore. The PA, even if it is a public entity, is no different from the rest of the pack. We can't allow them to turn the spire, the crowning structure of this tower, into some half-done antenna. You know what? Let the ESB keep all its broadcasting rights if it means that 1 WTC will stay the way it's suppose to be. There always has to be something wrong with this project.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 6:50 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
I just sent Durst this nastygram:

"I am writing to express my extreme disappointment with your corporation's ill-advised decision to change the architectural design of the spire/antenna mast on top of World Trade Center One. SOM's final design for the radome covering the spire was both aesthetically pleasing, contiguous with the building's design, and functional in that it allowed for maintenance to be conducted on the mast while protected from the elements. This tower is not just another building in NYC, it is a memorial to the events and loss of life on 9-11 and a new centerpiece for the city. Your company will ultimately be held responsible by not only the people of NYC, but all of the U.S. who look to this symbol of national pride if your selfish and foolish change to the spire is implemented. That should make for some good long-term PR!"

What's their email adress?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 9:22 AM

Spire

My thought is, if a frame can be produced with the same polygonal shapes that produced the radome laden spire, (epoxy that white and) from most perspectives it will be very close in appearance. It will be too dense to notice it is not solid from almost any ground perspective aside from close up. The LED lighting will give it better and more efficient lighting options. Let's just see what comes of this. As with the base cladding I do not think there will be a loss here, these people like this stuff the same if not more than us, it's their profession. This building will be iconic, none involved will prevent that, they know the deal, this is a work of passion. Cheers!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 11:41 AM
don't *meddle*...

^^ I don't care if they clad the base in gold, if the spire doesn't stay the way it's supposed to be, it's pretty much game over, aesthetically speaking.
All our hopes rely on SOM now to wake those f*turds from their insane idea.

Btw, I sent an email too... let's see if I'll get any answer.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
What's their email adress?
Jordan Barowitz
The Durst Organization
jbarowitz@durst.org
212-257-6605

OR simply email to info@durst.org

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 2:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Port Authority/Durst press release...

http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=1544

STATE-OF-THE-ART BROADCAST CENTER POISED TO RETURN TO WORLD TRADE CENTER

Mar 06, 2012

Quote:
One World Trade Center, soon to stand as the Western Hemisphere’s tallest building, is planning to add broadcasting to its summit. As part of an arrangement now being finalized with The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, The Durst Organization would oversee construction and operation of a new, state-of-the-art broadcast facility atop the tower. The installation would offer television and FM radio broadcast capabilities.

With a 408-foot spire reaching an ultimate height of 1,776 square feet, One World Trade Center’s broadcast center is expected to attract a number of prestigious broadcast partners, while promising to generate significant revenue for the project in return for a relatively modest capital investment.

Employing full redundant power, the One World Trade Center broadcast center would be marketed together with a broadcast tower atop 4 Times Square, also operated by The Durst Organization. The two towers would together serve as a primary and back-up facility, creating an economy of scale for broadcast tenants.

...Upon completion, the broadcast center is projected to generate more than $10 million annually. The facility would require approximately $7.4 million in up-front capital costs. All costs related to the broadcast facility would be borne entirely by The Durst Organization. Prior to September 11, 2001, the World Trade Center’s North Tower featured a 360-foot broadcast center at its top.
With construction now having risen to the 92nd floor, One World Trade Center is the tallest building in downtown Manhattan. Upon completion, One World Trade Center will stand 104 stories high and offer 71 rentable floors totaling three million square feet of leasable, Class-A office space.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 3:11 PM
BANNED

Guys, right now is the PERFECT time to have our voices heard before the plan is put into action. We're just a few months away before this becomes reality.

Let's call the Port Authority and raise hell. Let's make a nationwide protest. Let's spread the word. I have yet to see ONE person agree with the Durst idea... Oh yeah, besides the company itself.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringSkylines View Post
Guys, right now is the PERFECT time to have our voices heard before the plan is put into action. We're just a few months away before this becomes reality.

Let's call the Port Authority and raise hell. Let's make a nationwide protest. Let's spread the word. I have yet to see ONE person agree with the Durst idea... Oh yeah, besides the company itself.
Good luck. I hope you're successful. The lack of transparency continues at the P.A. There should have been a public comment period at the very least concerning this last minute change. I'm still hopeful it will look similar to the original spire.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 3:39 PM

oy! Seriously?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:03 PM

From Durst

RE: Antenna on one WTC

Thank you for your note about One World Trade Center.  The decision to eliminate the Radome was not made for financial reasons or even aesthetics. We eliminated the Radome because it could not be maintained or serviced.  Radome simply does not work on the spire of One World Trade Center.   The Spire will be lit with LEDs, have a beacon on the top and look terrific.

Best,

Jordan Barowitz

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:06 PM

From the naked eye...how much of a difference will be noticed from ground level?? Not trying to stir the pot either. I want to see the original design.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire state of mind View Post
From Durst

Thank you for your note about One World Trade Center.  The decision to eliminate the Radome was not made for financial reasons or even aesthetics. We eliminated the Radome because it could not be maintained or serviced.  Radome simply does not work on the spire of One World Trade Center.   The Spire will be lit with LEDs, have a beacon on the top and look terrific.

Best,

Jordan Barowitz
It may look nice at night with the lights and beacon but if that antenna is naked it will look ugly during the day which is really all that matters. If they're not going to cover it in Radome at least let them cover it in a steel lattice sort of like the original design for the spire. To me that looks nice too.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
From Durst

Best,

Jordan Barowitz
That sad that Jordan said that.. Because if I recall, that's exactly what he said to Dan (NYCLuver)... Absolutely despicable.

And when you think about it, technically it DOES have to do with financial reasons.
"The Durst firm agreed to spend about $7.4 million to build the 1 World Trade Center antenna, according to the statement. It is prepared to pay another $20 million more in “tenanting costs” to enable broadcasters to use the spire, which is expected to generate about $10 million a year in revenue."

All they want is money from broadcasting tenants.

-- ALSO, if the "radome does simply not work on the spire of the World Trade Center," why did they have these plans like 6 years ago that INCLUDED the radome? How come we're changing now?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
From Durst

Best,

Jordan Barowitz
You need to write back and ask how it couldn't be maintained or serviced when it was originally designed TO MAINTAIN AND SERVICE THE SPIRE.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 4:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by onn View Post
like someone forgetting to put bathrooms in the memorial plaza? Clearly a bunch of amateurs are designing everything. This spire redesign should not come as a surprise to anyone, by the way! The port authority has been trying to cheapify the project from the beginning! We're lucky to be getting a tower at all, there were far worse, and probably cheaper, proposals for rebuilding the site. An antenna would be a huge downgrade for sure. My issue is that this could mean the tower losing its 1776 ft height, meaning it would be even less out of contention for world's tallest building. What a total disgrace.
call them.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:00 PM

So now the total height should be measured to roof height right? I really don't see how this antenna is any different than the two on top of Sears. Epically now that the covering is not going to be put on. It is just an antenna, not an architectural spire.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:14 PM
BANNED

So is this definite that there won't be a mast?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 5:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Like someone forgetting to put bathrooms in the Memorial Plaza? Clearly a bunch of amateurs are designing everything. This spire redesign should not come as a surprise to anyone, by the way! The Port Authority has been trying to cheapify the project from the beginning! We're lucky to be getting a tower at all, there were far worse, and probably cheaper, proposals for rebuilding the site. An antenna would be a huge downgrade for sure. My issue is that this could mean the tower losing its 1776 ft height, meaning it would be even less out of contention for world's tallest building. What a total disgrace.
With the Burj Khalifa at 829.84 m (2,723 ft), there is no way that 1WTC could ever be in contention for the world's tallest building.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive