HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 4, 2005, 4:29 PM
Stray cat

COVINGTON, KY | The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge (Libeskind) | 21 FLOORS

The old thread seems to have been deleted. To get up to speed, try here:
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/inde...c=2430.new#new

An update from the 3/4/05 Cincinnati Enquirer:

Kenton planners OK 'swoosh' roof, backup
By Mike Rutledge
Enquirer staff writer

COVINGTON - Corporex Cos.' proposed crescent-shaped condominium tower with a swooping roof won approval Thursday from the Kenton County Planning Commission. In an unusual move, the commission also approved a far more conservative version for the site.

On the one hand, the commission approved the Stage I development plan for a 21-story building designed by renowned architect Daniel Libeskind. His 80-condo building features what Corporex describes as a dramatic "swoop" to its roofline, which would soar upward several stories.

The commission also approved, at Corporex's request, a 17-story crescent-shaped tower with a much flatter roof.

When Corporex Chairman Bill Butler unveiled the Libeskind design last year, he said he wanted a signature tower on one acre at the southeast corner of RiverCenter and Scott boulevards, not far from the Roebling Suspension Bridge.

Steven Massicot, director of Corporex Development and Construction Management, and project attorney Marty Butler emphasized that the Libeskind design is the preferred vision. But Marty Butler conceded that Libeskind's designs tend "to be expensive to build."

The project now must receive approval from Covington: a development agreement must be struck, and the building's architecture will be reviewed.

"We don't want to go way downstream and spend a lot of time and money," Marty Butler said, only to have city officials say, " 'Hey, we've seen the first one (the more traditional building), we like it, but the second one? Eh. It's got issues,' " which would force the company to start all over.

Marty Butler said officials don't intend to do a hybrid of the two buildings. The Libeskind building would have the exterior of its C-shape facing the bridge, while the other version would have the outside of its C away from the bridge. The developer will choose which is the better alternative, based on marketing and economics, said commission planner Mike Schwartz.

The commission approved both plans with one 13-0 vote, and also approved street setback variances.

E-mail mrutledge@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...78/1059/news01

Old Posted Mar 17, 2005, 6:14 PM
Stray cat

The latest from the 3/17/05 Enquirer:

The 21-story, 80-condominium, crescent-shaped building would transform the Covington skyline. Photo provided

Riverside tower could make splash
Designer to meet with review panel

By Mike Rutledge
Enquirer staff writer

COVINGTON - Developer Bill Butler's proposed condominium tower near the riverfront here could "raise worldwide curiosity and interest in this region," a former dean of University of Cincinnati's College of Design, Architecture, Art and Planning said Wednesday.

"There's no question this would be a very significant residential structure in Cincinnati, if not the most significant one, in terms of residential structures in the whole metropolitan region," said Jay Chatterjee, an architecture professor at UC.

"I really like it," Chatterjee added. "I think it's a very significant addition to the regional skyline - and certainly for Northern Kentucky. It will be magnificent."

Chatterjee called the vision worthy of the reputation of its designer, Polish-born architect Daniel Libeskind, who last year won the competition to design the new buildings at the site of New York City's World Trade Center.

The proposed 21-story, 80-condominium, crescent-shaped Covington building has a notable "swooshing" roofline that sweeps to the sky. The Kenton County Planning Commission recently approved two versions proposed by Butler's Corporex Cos., but Corporex has made clear it prefers the Libeskind version over a plainer one with a flatter roof.

Costs still may be a factor in which version is constructed, said Crystal Gibson, a Corporex spokeswoman.

"It's safe to say that we're still working with the costs, and seeing where we can make it work," Gibson said.

Libeskind will be in Covington on Monday to meet with the city's Architectural Review Panel at 3 p.m. He later will meet with members of the Historic Licking-Riverside Civic Association and Friends of Covington in the City Commission's chambers. The meeting will start sometime between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. Monday, officials said.

City commissioners will meet in a quick special session at 9:30 a.m. Friday to appoint architect Gene Weber to the architecture panel, to replace his recently deceased partner, Bill Hub, in advance of Monday's meeting.

The Architectural Review Panel advises the mayor and commissioners about projects that are north of Fifth Street. It examines such issues as the scale and mass of a building, and the materials to be used.

"A few months ago, the panel recommended that the developer work with the architect to address the roofline," said Covington Economic Development director Ella Fry. "They did not like the roofline that was proposed, and they advised that they should come back to the panel."

Libeskind joined the project and took that suggestion to heart.

Steven Massicot, the Corporex director responsible for the tower, said Libeskind's design addresses the roofline suggestions: "We believe this design responds to those comments, as well as responding to our program from both a functional and aesthetic standpoint," he said.

"I think it's wonderful, having more people living in our downtown area, Riverside area, so we can get more retail," said city Commissioner Jerry Stricker, a Licking-Riverside resident. "The more residents we can have down here, it benefits everybody."

Licking-Riverside Civic Association president Lisa Sauer said she is hoping the building will have "a little more of a historic look to it, versus extremely modern."

"I think Bill Butler is willing to work with residents on the design, and he's already met at least on two occasions with some of our (neighborhood) people about that," Stricker said. "And I know he wants to do whatever it takes to make everyone happy.

"Of course, you can't make everybody happy, but he's been very receptive to listening," Stricker said.

The Architectural Review Panel's recommendation will be key, because it will be considered by the Urban Design Review Board when it holds a public hearing March 28, Fry said.

In April, city commissioners will take into consideration the Architectural Review Panel's recommendations and those of the UDRB.

"I haven't heard any real negative things on it," said Mayor Butch Callery, a fan of the design. "So I think ... it ought to be on its way then."

E-mail mrutledge@enquirer.com

SOME INTRIGUING ARCHITECTURAL ASPECTS
Here's what University of Cincinnati architecture professor Jay Chatterjee said he appreciates about the proposed condominium tower:

"I like the atriums (architect Daniel Libeskind) created at the top, and I like the way he brings the sky into play," Chatterjee said. "I like the way he staggers the roof as it goes down."

Its positioning near the Suspension Bridge. Plus, "in some ways it picks up the color of the bridge too, in its glass forms, which I like."

Chatterjee also likes the way its parking garage integrates with the southbound ramp from the Suspension Bridge. "It almost has that feeling to it that the building sort of wraps around the curb."

The view of the proposed tower from the Cincinnati side of the Ohio River.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...59/1077/news01

Old Posted Mar 17, 2005, 6:31 PM
The People's Champion

Nice, but needs to be taller.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2005, 6:33 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

It looked better before, IMO. But, it's still interesting.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2005, 7:18 PM
Honored Member

I don't know about the design... It's a little too out there for me.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2005, 10:15 PM

I realize what I didn't like about the tower. I do think it needs to be taller. It's so Squat right now that it doesn't look right. If it were to soar for another 10 floors it would be hot.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2005, 1:54 AM
E pluribus unum

Keep it innovative, but put it on the Cincinnati side of the river goddammit!

Oh wait...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2005, 4:55 AM

Although, I really don't care for contemporary architecture that is really "out there," I do like the shape of this building. But I agree, I think it needs to be taller. Plus, Covington definitely needs some taller buildings.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2005, 6:31 AM

quite nice, but lose the concrete/rock facade and jack up the height then we'll have a beaut.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2005, 6:45 AM

I like it. "Out there," is good.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2005, 11:20 AM

It really contrasts with Covington's other postmodern buildings. Not a bad design.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2005, 8:06 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

I don't give a flying 747 fuck what they put in Covington (or Newport). Just put something. Hell, it can be a glorious Steely Dan box. I'll take it.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2005, 2:13 PM

I like it alot. Taller would be nice, but we'll take what we can get for now.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2005, 4:47 PM
Stray cat

OK...the name of the project has been changed to "The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge". Here's an article from the 3/23/05 Kentucky Post:

Covington's new jewel
Futuristic high-rise to boldly repaint skyline

By Jeanne Houck
Post staff reporter

Magnificent. Inspirational. Unique. A work of art.

Those were words used by Covington residents, business leaders and city officials Monday after reviewing Corporex Cos.' plans for "The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge," a futuristic condominium high-rise on the riverfront.

In separate hearings, world-renowned architect Daniel Libeskind presented the city's Architectural Review Board and then civic leaders and Covington residents his plans for a 21-floor, crescent-shaped tower with large glass windows and an asymmetrical "swooshing" roof.

Even people with questions about the tower, proposed to be built just west of the Roebling Suspension Bridge, could not help but praise the plans drawn up by Libeskind, who was chosen to design new buildings for the World Trade Center site in New York City.

"It's hard for me to accept the design because I like 19th century architecture, Victorian architecture," said Pat Flannery, who lives in the Historic Licking Riverside neighborhood. "But far be it from me to stand in the way of such a magnificent-looking building."

On Monday, the city's architectural review board agreed to recommend the City Commission approve plans for the tower, which is to include 80 upscale condominiums on 18 floors and a lobby, plaza, swimming pool, restaurant and, perhaps, some retail space, on the other three floors.

Referring to the beauty and boldness of the design, architectural review board member Robert Lape said, "This would be a sculpture located next to the Suspension Bridge, basically."

Next Monday, Covington's Urban Design Review Board will review plans for The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge and make a recommendation to the City Commission, which will have final say.

Covington Commissioner Jerry Stricker attended both hearings Monday.

"I'm in favor of this because it makes a statement and, like Covington is the gateway to the South, this would be a special gateway to Covington," he said.

The site proposed for the building is the former home of the Coach and Four restaurant, east of the intersection of East RiverCenter Boulevard and Scott Boulevard.Corporex officials declined to estimate the cost of the project or of the condominiums, although they said last year that the condominiums -- which will range from 1,200 to 6,000 square feet and have spectacular views of Cincinnati and Covington -- would cost at least $350,000 apiece.

Decisions have yet to be made on some things such as building materials, they said.

But they hope to begin construction this summer and complete the project in two years.

As planned, The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge would be a huge departure from the conventional office towers and box-like hotels and public buildings surrounding it.

Yet Libeskind said he designed the tower to harmonize with the residential and commercial neighborhood around it.

The tower, in earth tones with windows that would reflect blue skies, would echo the colors of the Suspension Bridge, he said.

He said the shape of the tower would mirror the bridge's cables and the tower's highest point would stand no taller and its lowest point no shorter than surrounding buildings.

Covington resident Sherry Carran said developers cleared up some design questions she had.

"I had concerns about the way the building 'swooshed' and the height of the building on the south end, but they explained how it will open up the skyline and let the area breathe," she said.

John Bezold of Alexandria, a first-year architecture student at the University of Cincinnati, stopped by Monday to see Libeskind make his presentations.

"We watched a film about him, and it was really interesting to see him in person," Bezold said. "His design is inspiring."

Libeskind said the city "has a unique site here, and this building would fit perfectly on this site."

He also urged people to consider that "history is not a story that is over."

Kathie Hickey, Renaissance manager for the city of Covington, applauded that sentiment.

"At some point in time, this is going to be labeled an historic landmark in Covington," she said.

http://www.kypost.com/2005/03/22/butler032205.html

Old Posted Mar 23, 2005, 10:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gniX
I like it. "Out there," is good.

I love cutting-edge and "out there." But this? Is pure mossy funk. It hurts me eyes, laddie.

Seriously, someone has to put a stop to Libeskind's nonsense. We all knew that he gave up his soul during the WTC "comprimise," and apparently he's given up his ability to design compelling buildings as well. Chalk it up to Overexposure to Childs...that guy is like architectural kryptonite. Blech.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2005, 3:03 PM
Stray cat

From the 4/19/05 Cincinnati Enquirer:

In Covington, Ascent will reach for the sky
City Commission votes today on condo project

By Sara Pearce
Enquirer staff writer

From the moment settlers constructed their first building on the downtown riverfront, our eyes have been drawn to it.

In the centuries since, the Ohio River's banks have seen it all. Warehouses. Town houses. Parking lots. Stadiums. Saloons. Parks. Mansions. Offices.

Each incarnation has been a bellwether of our hopes, dreams and aspirations as a city. From thriving port and commerce center to major-league town and cultural hub.

And as the riverfront and skyline on both sides of the river have evolved, major additions have been hotly debated, which is one of the many things that immediately separates The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge from what has gone before it.

The building with the lofty name, designed for Corporex, is a sleek, $40 million, 21-story condominium tower that everyone seems to like.

"Beautiful," "love it," "bold and elegant" were some of the comments from Licking-Riverside residents at a March meeting.

The proposal has been approved by the Kenton County Planning Commission, Covington Architectural Review Panel and Covington Urban Design Review Board. Tonight, it faces one final group: Covington City Commission, which is scheduled to vote on it.

If approved, the Ascent will be built at a corner of East RiverCenter Boulevard and Scott Street. Now a parking lot, it's known as the Coach & Four corner after the restaurant that operated there for 40 years.

It would be the first strictly residential high-rise to be built on either side of the downtown riverfront since Adams Landing opened in October 1992. It is to include 80 units, ranging from 950 square feet to a 7,000-square foot, three-story penthouse - with the average size approximately 2,000 square feet.

Until the exterior design is finalized, interior design and prices will not be determined.

The Ascent would sit on the 1-acre site at an angle, curving in a subtle "c" to maximize views. Its deeply sloped roof echoes the lines of the historic Roebling Suspension Bridge that crosses the Ohio River just a few hundred yards away.

From his first sketch, architect Daniel Libeskind turned to the bridge as his muse.

"It is shaped in a special way to play off the great Roebling Bridge," he says during an interview from his office in New York City. "It is a gateway to the bridge, so it takes its form from the curvature of the bridge's cables, and its color from the reflection of water and sky.

"It opens up new possibilities on that side of the river."

Local architectural historian Walter E. Langsam echoes that sentiment.

"It's a very exciting proposal, and I'm thrilled that it is a response to the bridge," says Langsam, an adjunct professor in the University of Cincinnati's department of art, architecture and planning who worked in Covington's Historic Preservation office for three years.

"We have lost our sense of how grand the bridge is. When it was finished (in 1866), the bridge was the tallest structure in the Ohio River valley. It is a major achievement that has been dwarfed by the high rises and other buildings that have grown up around it.

"But this building is not monolithic, it's not a solid block - it is a vivid, visually intuitive response to the bridge and the older parts of Covington. It will draw a lot of attention to itself, to the project and to Covington."

Libeskind is an architect whose work often is described as avant-garde.

"He doesn't look at things through the same lens that we do," says Tom Banta, the Corporex executive vice president who is overseeing this project.

For decades, Libeskind was a theoretical architect. He taught at colleges, including a stint at the University of Kentucky in the early 1970s, and designed buildings. But, he did not have a single building of his built until The Jewish Museum, Berlin was completed in 1999 and opened in 2001.

Once Libeskind's work leapt from theory to reality, it started a building boom.

He now is working on dozens of projects in cities such as Milan, San Francisco, Copenhagen, Hong Kong and Seoul, including the project that brought him global attention: the World Trade Center site in New York City. Libeskind was selected as the master plan architect for the site after a highly public and pitched battle.

His plan for that 16-acre site is viewed by many as inspiring and ambitious. It includes parks and other open spaces, a museum and multiple towers, culminating in a twisting 1,776-foot tower that would be the world's tallest building.

Detractors were quick to point out that Libeskind had little experience with tall buildings. At that point, the four-story Berlin museum was his highest building.

That has changed.

In 2002, Libeskind's Imperial War Museum North opened in Manchester, England. The low, swooping buildings include a slender tower with a sloping roof that is similar to the Ascent design.

A tall, bending tower is part of the 63-acre Fiera Milano project in Milan, Italy.

And now there is the Ascent.

While the design is fresh, it is far more conventional than the low-lying, splintered, metallic buildings such as the Denver Art Museum extension and The Jewish Museum, Berlin that have become Libeskind hallmarks.

Still, it is a dramatic departure from the boxy commercial buildings nearby, and the traditional 19th and early 20th century buildings that have characterized Covington until recently as historic but shabby.

"It's pretty average, cookie cutter design on the riverfront right now," says Vic Canfield, chairman of Covington's Urban Design Review Board, which approved the project unanimously at its March meeting. "Corporex tried to vary RiverCenter a little bit - but it all has the same reddish brown hue, and the buildings look alike."

Departing from the norm is just the "kick in the butt" needed to bring innovative architecture to the riverfront, says Terry Boling, a working architect and assistant professor at DAAP.

"Corporex has sent an important message to everyone in the area by picking someone who is not really mainstream or conventional," says Boling. "If he can do it the way it is proposed, that will open doors for other developers to take a similar route and be a little more visionary.

"There's no reason why the whole riverfront couldn't be dotted with these amazing buildings, this could start a precedent."

Canfield agrees. "It's exciting to have a world-class architect designing a building that will be an eye-catcher and draw people's attention," he says.

Even Covington Mayor Butch Callery, who readily admits to clashing with Corporex chairman Bill Butler many times over the years, feels it is the right time for a bold statement along the river.

"I have heard virtually no negative feedback," he says. "The design is striking, and I think it will encourage other development all around."

Having a celebrity name to drop only adds to the project's cachet, he adds. "Getting Daniel, well, that was fantastic - he's a big name."

Architects have become mainstream enough that a recent episode of "The Simpsons" had the Springfield Cultural Advisory Board hiring Frank Gehry (designer of UC's Vontz Center for Molecular Studies) to design a cutting-edge, metal-clad, off-kilter concert hall for the mythical town.

"An architect with an international reputation often has a different kind of confidence and persuasiveness," says Langsam. "They seem to make clients less cautious."

And the public, too, says Alex Welden, chairman of the Kenton County Planning Commission. "For a lot of people, a big name legitimizes something that might not fly otherwise," she says. "It is a pretty strong statement. And maybe it's unfortunate but, if some talented local person did it, we would probably have a much harder time selling it.

"Daniel's name opens doors."

E-mail spearce@enquirer.com

DANIEL LIBESKIND

Born: In Lodz, Poland in 1946. His family moved to Israel when he was 11 and to the United States when he was 13. He became an American citizen in 1965.

Education: He started college as a musician but left as an architect, graduating from Cooper Union in 1970 with a bachelor's degree in architecture. He received a Master's Degree in architectural history and theory from University of Essex in Colchester, Essex, England in 1972.Regional connection: taught architecture at the University of Kentucky in the early 1970s.

Most noted for: winning the competition to become the Master Plan Architect for the 16-acre World Trade Center site.

Late start: Libeskind did not have a building of his built until he won the competition for The Jewish Museum, Berlin which was completed in 1999.

Global reach: Current projects include "The Eye and the Wing," an extension to the Denver Art Museum and The Museum Residences (a parking garage and condominiums he is working with Corporex on); WESTside, a new neighborhood in Bern, Switzerland; The Contemporary Jewish Museum in San Francisco; Fiero Milano, a new neighborhood in Milan, Italy; "The Crystal," an extension to the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, Canada.

Quote: "Why should we have banal buildings by anonymous people who are not interested in architecture?"

Read more about him: Pick up "Breaking Ground: Adventures in Life and Architecture," by Daniel Libeskind (Riverhead Books; $XX) or "Sixteen Acres: Architecture and the Outrageous Struggle for the future of Ground Zero" by Philip Nobel (Metropolitan Books; $25).

Online: www.daniel-libeskind.com.

Daniel Libeskind says: "A great building - like great literature or poetry or music - can tell the story of the human soul."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...4190324/-1/rss

Last edited by grasscat; Apr 19, 2005 at 3:25 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2005, 2:29 PM
back in Ohio at last

This project has received final approval by the Covington City Council and is the subject of an article in today's Wall Street Journal entitled "Location, Location, Architect." Construction is scheduled to begin in late summer.

Old Posted May 8, 2005, 2:23 PM
Stray cat

From the 5/7/05 Kentucky Post:

Condo project might work its magic in city
By Jeanne Houck
Post staff reporter

World-renowned architect Daniel Libeskind wrote in a 2004 memoir that "There's a magic to a great building."

Covington leaders hope that's true of the 21-floor condominium tower he's designed for the city's riverfront.

Government officials and business people would like nothing more than to see surrounding residential and commercial development take wing with the asymmetrical "swooshing" roof that is to top the estimated $40 million high-rise that Corporex Cos. of Covington wants to build just west of the Roebling Suspension Bridge.

Steven Massicot, Corporex's project manager, thinks it's a given.

"This will definitely be a catalyst for downtown Covington and the entire region," he said. "We've learned from other downtowns such as Nashville that if you bring residents downtown, retail will follow."

The Covington City Commission last month approved plans for "The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge," Corporex's crescent-shaped building, which is to hold 80 luxury condominiums, a small retail center and a plaza and parking for tower residents.

Mayor Butch Callery said developers have not been burning up the phone lines trying to finagle room for their projects in the area surrounding the condominium high-rise, which is to be built at the southeast corner of RiverCenter and Scott boulevards, the former site of the Coach and Four restaurant.

Nor has the city launched an aggressive campaign to market that area, although the city has a myriad of incentive programs in place and more in the works, Callery said.

"Not until we break ground," said the mayor, noting that Corporex plans to kick off a two-year construction phase late this summer.

But The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge already has made a splash outside Covington.

The city, the condominium tower and Libeskind were the subject of a front-page article, "Location, Location, Architect," in the April 20 edition of the Wall Street Journal's marketplace section.

"That's pretty big to make the front page of the Wall Street Journal because that goes nationally - worldwide," Callery crowed. "So it's a pretty big deal."

Is it possible that the high-rise can, in the words of Libeskind, work its magic and:

Resolve the Kenton County Jail issue? Could the condominium tower drive surrounding property values so high that the county could make a tidy profit on the sale of its jail at Court Street and Park Place - a stone's throw from the tower? That would allow the fiscally strapped county to build a larger lockup elsewhere and free up prime property for which Covington believes it can find a far better use.

But Kenton County Commissioner Dam Humpert doesn't see the Corporex tower as a possible solution to a complicated problem.

"I'm not saying (the jail site) won't go up in value, but it would have to be an awfully large increase in the value of the property and it would be one-time funding," he said.

"One-time funds are great, but you can't build a jail with one-time funds and you can't fund operations with one-time funds."

It will take the state increasing its funding for jails to ultimately solve Kenton County's jail woes, he said.

Help find a buyer for what remains of Covington Landing? The floating restaurant and entertainment center at the foot of Madison Avenue, less than a block from the site of condominium tower, has been a financial drain on the city since 1997, when Covington acquired the complex after the former owner went bankrupt.

Covington has hired Julie Boudousquie, a broker with FORSITE Commercial Real Estate Group of Cincinnati and Burlington, in hopes of finding a new owner to renovate and fully lease Covington Landing.

"Obviously, any more bodies down in that area is helpful," Boudousquie said. "The fact that condominiums will be there, that is a source of customers for Covington Landing."

Re-energize the ongoing development of a riverfront restaurant district with a town square?

"(The tower is) going to cater to people with large disposable incomes, and they'll need places to eat," Callery said.

Restaurateur Todd Barton, a partner in Barton's on Park Place, said there hasn't been a lot of discussion in the neighborhood about how the condominium tower might spur growth in the restaurant district - envisioned for the area roughly bordered by Greenup Street, Scott Boulevard, Third Street and Fourth Street. But the project has been greeted with enthusiasm.

Barton, for one, is grateful to Corporex President Bill Butler.

"I think Bill Butler has done an excellent job on the riverfront here in Covington," Barton said. "He's really transformed the whole area."

A limited liability company called Covington Square has positioned itself to reap the benefits of any renaissance surrounding The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge, although the company began snapping up property in the area two years ago, before plans for the tower were announced.

Since July 2003, Covington Square has purchased nine pieces of residential, commercial and industrial property on Greenup Street, East Fourth Street, Sandford Street and Tobacco Alley. Their total worth: $4,855,000.

Last December, Covington Square sold two industrial parcels on East Fourth Street to an Aspen, Colo., couple for a total of $1,389,000.

Covington Square spokesman Marc Wilson said the company had no comment on its plans for the property or how the condominium tower might affect those plans.

Meanwhile, Corporex's Massicot said The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge has been a dream project from the beginning, starting with the architect Libeskind, who also has been chosen to design new buildings for the World Trade Center site in New York City.

"Daniel Libeskind is inspiring to work with," Massicot said.

And while The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge will be nothing like any other building in Covington, it will be a seamless fit, he promised.

The huge windows that will make up half of the exterior will reflect the surrounding landscape and sky, the remainder of the exterior will be earth tones and the shape of the building will echo the lines of the Roebling Suspension Bridge.

"This is a building that will beautifully - and literally - reflect its surroundings," Massicot said.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....325/1011/RSS02

Old Posted May 8, 2005, 5:32 PM

You know i totally forgot it's right across the street from the city jail. lol

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 3:47 PM
Stray cat

From the 6/6/05 Cincinnati Business Courier:

New Covington tower to let buyers give input on design

Corporex Cos. has started a new program for its planned Covington condo tower that will let early buyers give input on the building's interior design.

The Reserve Buyers Program will be open to buyers "who have a significant interest in being the first to own a home" in the 21-story Ascent at Roebling's Bridge. According to a news release, those reserve buyers will be able to give their input on design decisions at the tower and will receive special monthly updates about the building's progress.

To get the chance, buyers have to sign on by June 30.

"We are trying to learn as much as we can about the interior and lifestyle aspirations of those interested in being part of this extraordinary community," said Corporex Chief Marketing Officer Debbie Vicchiarelli in a release.

The Ascent condo project will include 78 condo units ranging in price from $395,000 to $1.5 million for standard units. Penthouse units are expected to cost even more, a spokeswoman said.

The building, designed by architect Daniel Libeskind, will overlook Northern Kentucky and the Ohio River.

More information about the project is availabile at www.corporex.com/theascent.

© 2005 American City Business Journals Inc.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...06/daily7.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive