HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Aqua in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 7:26 AM

I hope the city pressures them to push 1000+ feet with this field/wacker proposal. This may be one of the only chances to build something to balance/fill out the skyline in that area so that chicago spire doesnt seem totally out of scale

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
I've learned several things about the project.

It might a bit longer before we actually see a caisson rig on the site, several months in fact. I was told that they are waiting until they reach 90% before they break ground. The reason that they are doing this is because they will get a much better interest rate on their construction loan once they make that mark. They are currently at the 80% - 85% mark.

I was also tole that the next building will more than likely be marketed after they break ground on Aqua sometime this spring. The tower that will be marketed will straddle Field Boulevard where it meets Wacker Drive. I believe that the rumor was stated sometime earlier in this thread. The rumor is that the tower will be in the 90-story range. This is still unconfirmed. We'll just have to wait and see what is released unless there is a member or lurker on this forum that can provide more solid information.
Thats dumb..the longer they wait they higher the constructions cost keep rising anyway..really just probaly evening out in the end...Just start the damn thing!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 4:08 PM

Im sure they know what they are doing. I dont mind waiting for this beauty, but I know how you feel. I just think its amazing that they are so close to 90% and havent even started construction, maybe the market really is still quite strong. Or its just such a great building.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
Thats dumb..the longer they wait they higher the constructions cost keep rising anyway..really just probaly evening out in the end...Just start the damn thing!
Well, they can actually have already put in orders for concrete and rebar and windows a long time ago. Trump had bought and locked in on prices of material for Trump Tower like a year or two before construction even began.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

I was also tole that the next building will more than likely be marketed after they break ground on Aqua sometime this spring. The tower that will be marketed will straddle Field Boulevard where it meets Wacker Drive. I believe that the rumor was stated sometime earlier in this thread. The rumor is that the tower will be in the 90-story range. This is still unconfirmed.
It makes a lot more sense for Magellan to put up a high rise by Field Boulevard where they can command high prices for the river and lake views, instead of the plot south of Aqua where the BCBS expansion will block viewpoints. That site would be better used for one of the commercial office buildings planned.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 6:04 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoju View Post
I hope the city pressures them to push 1000+ feet with this field/wacker proposal. This may be one of the only chances to build something to balance/fill out the skyline in that area so that chicago spire doesnt seem totally out of scale
It seems that a 90 story building would have a descent chance of breaking 1000. Even if it does though I think a 2000ft CS would still dwarf and make look small even a 1k footer. It would have even less of an effect then AT&T and 311 Wakcer have on the Sears.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 7:15 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber925 View Post
That site would be better used for one of the commercial office buildings planned.
Are those office towers even a part of the plan anymore?

Although many of the views from that site south of Aqua would be blocked, you could still put a fairly thin and tall tower on the eastern edge that would have decent views.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 8:38 PM

I'm considering moving to the LakeShore East neighborhood in a few years time.

And was wondering, is the area around the Aqua and its neighborhood almost all residential towers?

Or are there hopefully some stores, restaurants, etc, that add to the ambiance?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket1 View Post

And was wondering, is the area around the Aqua and its neighborhood almost all residential towers?

It's certainly improving quickly....just a few years ago it was some office towers and a couple hotels but not much street life, but there is alot opening up and I know the LSE plan includes alot of services for residents.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I was also tole that the next building will more than likely be marketed after they break ground on Aqua sometime this spring. The tower that will be marketed will straddle Field Boulevard where it meets Wacker Drive. I believe that the rumor was stated sometime earlier in this thread. The rumor is that the tower will be in the 90-story range. This is still unconfirmed. We'll just have to wait and see what is released unless there is a member or lurker on this forum that can provide more solid information.
Years ago, I remember I saw images of an archway over the boulevard going into LSE off Wacker, is this what your talking about, or have those plans been scratched/changed?
Chicago Bears, Super Bowl Champs 1985.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockfordSoxFan View Post
Years ago, I remember I saw images of an archway over the boulevard going into LSE off Wacker, is this what your talking about, or have those plans been scratched/changed?
That's the one, alough I would be expecting a more modern design. An important feature with this tower is its setting on the Field Blvd axis, which centers it with LSD and the field museum, so if you were standing on the steps of the museum or on LSD looking north, this new 900+ foot building would be right in the center of your field of view, serving as a visual endcap to LSD as it curves to the east.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 11:18 PM
Show me the blueprints

That watercolor rendering you're referring to was just for the LSE master plan. That series of renderings did not dictate the design of LSE buildings except for location and fairly accurate (so far)massing/height.

The arch may or may not be called for in the master plan, as it may have been an artist getting carried away in all that super development goodness. Lets hope it is though, that would be an incredible site, especially so if they ever build up to the Upper Wacker level and reskin the steel structure from Mich. to LSD.

Straddling buildings are all too rare. MoMo is great, but envision that arch at street level where you can interact with it and 2 to 3 times as high—the arch would become a de facto destination and gain civic purpose akin to other historic arches around the globe.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 12:15 AM

yes...i remember this being mentionted...there were a few 80 + story buildings for the future mentionted as well...We need to find that person who left those messages on this board and ask him/her to refresh our memory

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoju View Post
Another 90 story building? This skyscraper boom is just incredible.
The question is, what is going to happen when Chicago really runs out of space to build? There is still plenty of land right now.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 1:19 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
The question is, what is going to happen when Chicago really runs out of space to build? There is still plenty of land right now.
That won't be a problem for a really long time. Just look at Google Earth and you can see the huge amount of vacant/parking lots or lowrise junk that could easily be demolished around the city.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 1:53 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
That's the one, alough I would be expecting a more modern design. An important feature with this tower is its setting on the Field Blvd axis, which centers it with LSD and the field museum, so if you were standing on the steps of the museum or on LSD looking north, this new 900+ foot building would be right in the center of your field of view, serving as a visual endcap to LSD as it curves to the east.
^ Wow, that's totally rad.

But the problem is, one likely wouldn't even be able to see that building from the Field Museum, right? After all, there are plenty of towers on the southern end of LSE and along Randolph that would block sight lines

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Wow, that's totally rad.

But the problem is, one likely wouldn't even be able to see that building from the Field Museum, right? After all, there are plenty of towers on the southern end of LSE and along Randolph that would block sight lines
No, it will be completly visable, because this building will span right over Field Blvd. As you know, Field Blvd intersects with Randolph, so the line of site will be unobstructed.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 3:41 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Are those office towers even a part of the plan anymore?

Although many of the views from that site south of Aqua would be blocked, you could still put a fairly thin and tall tower on the eastern edge that would have decent views.
I think the plot between Aqua and BCBS is much more likely to be residential, hotel or a mix of both. Office is unlikey, just given the East Loop market. However, it's not entirely out of the question that there is a large tenant out there that would ink a lease to anchor a new office tower here...but still I'd say the chance of any significant amount (>200,000 sf) of office space as part of Lakeshore East is small - less than 20%.

Also, as Aqua itself proves, there are creative design moves that can be incorporated to a fairly boxed-in site to yield better views than would at first seem possible, so this (Aqua South) tower actually have decent views...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 3:44 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
It seems that a 90 story building would have a descent chance of breaking 1000. Even if it does though I think a 2000ft CS would still dwarf and make look small even a 1k footer. It would have even less of an effect then AT&T and 311 Wakcer have on the Sears.
I'd feel confident about it breaking 1,000' if it wasn't a Loewenberg-controlled project. For example, if the floor-to-floor heights are the same as Aqua, it very well may be restricted to the 900s'.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket1 View Post

There is rather little, but that doesn't mean the streets are dead. There is just enough vehicular and pedestrian traffic, related to the hotels and Millennium Park plus local residents, to give it a 'lived-in' but quiet, tidy feel. I find it rather pleasant; if you want hubbub, you can just bop on down a block or two west to Michigan Ave and you've got it. And if it's just the utility (as opposed to ambiance) of stores and restaurants you want, they're approaching a critical mass with all of the 'basement'-level retail concourses along the pedway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive