HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 8:16 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Utah Jazz for sale? Report raises the possibility
By KSL.com

SALT LAKE CITY -- If the labor dispute in the NBA doesn't end in a way that benefits the Utah Jazz, would the Miller family sell? A new report raises that possibility.

The Deseret News cites a source as saying, "If I was a betting man, my guess is that the Millers will sell the team within the next five years ... unless this CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) changes the formula so that the team can make some money."

The source is identified only as "one source with intimate knowledge of the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies' inner workings." That person told the paper the Jazz are expected to report losses in the $17 million range for the past season. The source also said the team has lost money almost every year since moving to Utah from New Orleans in 1979.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148...he-possibility

Well that would just suck for us if the team goes for sell. If you lose the Jazz then what else do you have here in Utah other then Real Salt Lake who most people don't even call them a Pro-team. Without the Jazz Salt Lake will be like Boise.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 10:03 PM

This may sound dramatic, but I'm being dead serious. If the Jazz moved, I would consider leaving Salt Lake City on that fact alone.
I'm that much of an NBA fan. I must live in an NBA city. This lockout is the ultimate in bull-shit.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Utah Jazz for sale? Report raises the possibility
By KSL.com

SALT LAKE CITY -- If the labor dispute in the NBA doesn't end in a way that benefits the Utah Jazz, would the Miller family sell? A new report raises that possibility.

The Deseret News cites a source as saying, "If I was a betting man, my guess is that the Millers will sell the team within the next five years ... unless this CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) changes the formula so that the team can make some money."

The source is identified only as "one source with intimate knowledge of the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies' inner workings." That person told the paper the Jazz are expected to report losses in the $17 million range for the past season. The source also said the team has lost money almost every year since moving to Utah from New Orleans in 1979.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148...he-possibility

Well that would just suck for us if the team goes for sell. If you lose the Jazz then what else do you have here in Utah other then Real Salt Lake who most people don't even call them a Pro-team. Without the Jazz Salt Lake will be like Boise.
Sounds like a positive event for SLC if your city indeed becomes like Boise I have a few friends from Sugar House visiting Boise and staying at my place this week and they wish Salt Lake was more like Boise. Cheer up, there's more to life than sporting events.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 10:35 PM

it'd be kind of cool if the Utah jazz was sold and moved to Boise lol. the problem with that is i don't think Boise has a large enough population to support an NBA team let alone an NFL TEAM. and lastly it would soooooooooo piss off people in SLC.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 11:28 PM
Stay Thirsty.

If I had to guess potential markets for the Jazz, they could move to the following cities:

1) Las Vegas
2) Kansas City/St. Louis
3) Seattle (ha)
4) San Diego
5) Cincinnati/Columbus
6) Pittsburgh

Of those cities, I only think the first two are viable. The others are simply larger metropolises that have other pro teams, but no NBA team.

Best case scenario: No move and the article is crap.
Worst case scenario with the best outcome: The Jazz move down I-15 to Vegas and the team is within a few hours drive. Hey, better than the Seattle Jazz or the San Diego Jazz, or even the Omaha Jazz or the El Paso Jazz...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 11:36 PM

Wow, look at the enthusiasm over the Jazz moving!
Did anyone read the article?
It was journalism for the sake of journalism. Completely baseless. The Jazz aren't going anywhere. They have the 4th best debt/value ratio in the NBA, are one of the most successful franchises of the last 20 years, and are not putting financial strain on the Miller family.
And once this labor dispute is resolved (however long that takes), the small market teams will be in much better positions. Even just the revenue sharing program that the league will instate will improve the finances of the teams that haven't spent like 6 year olds in a candy shop... (ahem, Orlando)

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 12:27 AM

So true!! there is no backing in this story! The Jazz are Going nowhere!Everyone Is just frustrated with the lockout and KSL is just looking for a story. Just watch their story: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1817...he-possibility
Such a bad joke. There is no fact to this story at all! KSL Is just stirring the pot! Plus Im sure Dave Checketts would purchase the team and keep it in SLC if anything ever really happened.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 12:37 AM

Utah Jazz owner not selling team!

Here's a direct quote from Greg Miller himself via twitter:

"Speculation of the Jazz being sold is unfortunate & irresponsible. Thanks to unprecedented fan & sponsor support the Jazz is solid as ever."

http://twitter.com/#!/greginutah

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 1:54 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Sounds like a positive event for SLC if your city indeed becomes like Boise I have a few friends from Sugar House visiting Boise and staying at my place this week and they wish Salt Lake was more like Boise. Cheer up, there's more to life than sporting events.

Boise is a nice little city. I was just saying that without the Jazz we would have no pro teams just like Boise. I too wish downtown SLC could be more like downtown Boise with all the street life, but you're right there is more to life then sports.

I really hope we don't lose the Jazz. Sure they let me down alot, but SLC wouldn't be the same without them and I think if we sell the team and they move it would be a big step backwards for us as a state and a city.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 4:06 AM

Typical of the Des News and KSL. They're the doom's day prophets of journalism.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Typical of the Des News and KSL. They're the doom's day prophets of journalism.
Exactly. They will do anything for a story that generates web traffic.

The Jazz aren't going anywhere.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reachforthesky View Post
Here's a direct quote from Greg Miller himself via twitter:

"Speculation of the Jazz being sold is unfortunate & irresponsible. Thanks to unprecedented fan & sponsor support the Jazz is solid as ever."

http://twitter.com/#!/greginutah
That quote makes me wonder if the Miller family was gauging public reaction at the thought of selling the team.

In other words, no public outcry = sell the team.

It wouldn't be very difficult for any team owner to create a "source" to stir the pot and see what comes of it.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 6:01 PM

I highly doubt it. We live in the Twitter age. Hysteria is created in an instant, and can be dispelled in an instant. This isn't the first time the local media has created a storm about the Jazz, and Greg Miller immediately nipped it in the bud. When Sloan resigned, Miller immediately jumped on line to dispel rumors.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 7:41 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

For those of you who like reading:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52...larry.html.csp

This is an article about the Miller Empire; it came out in the Tribune on October 22, 2011. The empire is making tons of money. The only venture they are losing money on is the speedway. It was in this article that the Millers affirmed nothing bad was happening to the Jazz. So the twitter post was not a revelation to anyone who religiously reads the news (me).

The whole article goes into detail about how the Jazz is uniquely positioned to weather this labor dispute storm because it's so insulated in all the other Miller businesses. If you are both concerned and too lazy to read this article, it says, in essence, that the Jazz is totally profitable and protected.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 3:17 PM

Are the Jazz any good this year?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 4:47 PM
Development Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Are the Jazz any good this year?
They're in a 30-way tie for first place. But unfortunately, also a 30-way tie for last place.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 10:42 PM

Looks like the season opens on Christmas day.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 11:36 PM
Engineer

I wish Minnesota would play just a little bit better. It would be awesome if all 5 teams from the Northwest Division made the playoffs this year. The wolves are 4-8, but they have more points for them than against them, so they're not as bad as their record seems to show, and Ricky Rubio is awesome. I may be bringing this up too soon ('cause who knows if the Jazz, Blazers, and Nuggets will keep winning?), but it's just a thought. I'm all about exceeding expectations. The Jazz were ranked 28th after the first week and now we're 8-4.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 3:03 AM

Yeah, the Northwest is going to be interesting over the next few years. All the teams are young and they're all looking pretty good. I think it's clear that it will be the most competitive division for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 6:51 AM

I like to be the guy who brings this thread back from the dead, because...

Jazz are 2nd in the west (as of this post).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West