HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The X Condominium in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 11:49 PM

Red face TORONTO | X Condominium | U/C | 453 FT / 138 M | 44 FLOORS

This is one of the more popular projects under way in Toronto right now - local achitect Peter Clewes' homage to Mies, with definite echoes of the TD Bank Centre complex in downtown Toronto...

Currently going up near Bloor St. and Jarvis St. in downtown Toronto...I will attempt to copy over a few renderings and photos from approximately 65 pages of discussion on this project over at urbantoronto.ca....

smallish rendering...

March 2008 excavation - pic by dt_toronto_geek at urbantoronto.ca...

October 2008 foundation work - pic by CSW2424 at urbantoronto.ca..

March 2009 - working on the 2nd floor - pic by dt_toronto_geek at urbantoronto...

April 2009 - 6 floors up - pic by dt_toronto_geek at urbantoronto...

May 2009 - first cladding appears...pic by dt_toronto_geek at urbantoronto...

June 2009 - there are bits of colour in the basic black cladding...pic by dt_toronto_geek at urbantoronto...

recent pic by dt_toronto_geek at urbantoronto..

recent pic by Mike in TO at urbantoronto..

recent night shot by Mike in TO at urbantoronto...

Last edited by yyzer; Jul 17, 2009 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 12:40 AM

Thanks for the update, its a refreshing design of bringing international and post-modern together.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 2:25 AM

Nice! It's about time there was a thread for this building. It's a great addition to the area. I was in the city not too long ago. Actually staying in the building where those last few pics were taken. It was great.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 2:34 AM
Round Head

I'm not sure why architects think the random assortment of strips of bright colours or slits of windows now counts as articulation. Everyone frickin does it. So lazy.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 7:42 PM

The color stripes definitely takes away from its beauty

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
The color stripes definitely takes away from its beauty
I dunno if I agree with you or Wooster on that - for me, the coloured bits add a touch of lightness and whimsy - an all black building may suit a bank tower, but would be oppressive in a condo, imho.....

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
I dunno if I agree with you or Wooster on that - for me, the coloured bits add a touch of lightness and whimsy - an all black building may suit a bank tower, but would be oppressive in a condo, imho.....
The colored bits don't really do much to lighten up the overwhelming darkness and bulk of this building. It really does look more suited to be an office tower, especially since it looks like IBM Plaza in Chicago. But I guess you can only criticize a building for historicism and pastiche if it's in a pre-modern style.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 1:41 PM

Will this be the tallest building in it's immediate area when finished?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 4:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
an all black building may suit a bank tower, but would be oppressive in a condo, imho.....
Tell that to the residents of 860-880 Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, I'm sure they'll disagree. Same goes for 900-920 LSD, Lake Point Tower, Harbor Point Tower, John Hancock Building or even my building, Park Tower Condos. These are all easily among the most popular buildings in their immediate area and in the city. I think a lot of people hate how Misean Black Boxes look from the outside, but can't get over how good it is to be inside and look out of them with the maximum amount of spaciousness and glass making you feel like you live in a space hovering over the city outside.

I think most people couldn't care less how a their looks from the outside since they don't have to look at it and don't own that part, most condo owners only care about the inside of their unit since that is what they have to see and own.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 11:31 PM
gettin' rich!

thanks for starting the thread yyzr'r...

we need the emoticon added into the thread title so it matches the rest of the toronto buildings currently under construction..

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 11:53 PM

Cal....I always wondered why TO has the 'embarrassed' emoticon....why?

I am not embarrassed in any way by all the development here....

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 7:18 PM
gettin' rich!

i think it was the only emoticon that was left.... and also we here in toronto are embarrased by our construction prowess.. we are ashamed in our own country that we like to build things here.. otherwise get mocked for being the centre of the universe... so it actually works for us!!!

plus it makes it easy to find the toronto projects when they get lost on the secondary pages of this subforum...

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 8:42 PM

Here's some photos I took of X condo 3 days ago... It's getting TALL!!!

This photo i took below really shows how tall it is going to be and the impact it will have on Toronto's east skyline. This photo I took from a condo on College street...

All photos by me: steveve

Enjoy

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 2:42 PM
gettin' rich!

Are you sure you're 14?

hardest working man on skyscraperpage... ... honestly..

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 7:26 PM

You bet I am 14 Cal!

Though I wouldn't say I am the "Hardest working man on skyscraperpage" I just love skyscrapers... That's all

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 9:10 PM

question about the location

Hello everyone,
I live outside of the city and looking to move into the city. I don't know about the different downtown areas well. I have read great things about x-condo but as a single girl, I am a bit worried about the area. Is it a good and safe area? Jarvis is known for its xxx workers. Any comments? advice?
Thank you

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 9:20 PM

The area of X Condo is Jarvis/Bloor... Only certain parts of Jarvis (south of Bloor) aren't that great... But Bloor is generally a very wealthy and safe street/neighborhood... and Toronto is a very safe place compared to other major cities... You shouldn't run into any trouble (unless that is what you seek... lol)... Bloor is well known for containing the "Yorkville Neighborhood". (Yorkville is probably Toronto's wealthiest/nicest neighborhood)

At Bloor/Jarvis (directly across from X Condo) lies headquarters of Rogers Communications (Huge Green Building) so the area is non-ghetto...

My advice is ask people and explore the area... I personally don't think there is any sort of danger there... whatsoever

Hope this helps....

*PS where are you moving from???

Here is a photo I took of X condo... You can see the Green Rogers Building right across...

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 11:12 PM

x-condo area

Thank you for the advice and the picture. The view is beautiful
I am moving from Newmarket and looking forward to the excitement of city life - LOL (but it might be hell for driving as I still work in the north but who cares I am going opposite traffic and it's worth it to live in the city

As soon as I heard Jarvis I was thinking, isn't that sex-worker area? LOL
I appologize for my ignorance but I don't know the area well and don't know who to talk to. I found this site when I googled x-condo.
I have seen the area during the day and it looks OK. I am planning to drive down at night and I am praying I don't see some strange stuff happening (LOL)

Last edited by sky2004; Aug 9, 2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 2:59 PM

You should also explore your other options (if you already haven't) in terms of other condos in and around the city... it all depends on your taste and budget... There are so many new condos going up in all parts of the city like Yonge-Bloor, Bay-Bloor, Waterfront, etc.... But in the end it's all up to you....

But skyscraperpage.com isn't the best place for condo advice... It's mostly a website for skyscraper fanatics (like me!)... You should try looking in Condo Magazines (such as Condo Life Magazine) because it's specifically aimed towards buyers looking for a new condo. In the magazine you'll find prices, locations, phone numbers, etc...

But I'm just a kid and that's all I can say
Hope this helps

*sorry to everyone else that this post has nothing to do with X Condo... lol

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 5:15 PM
gettin' rich!

from dt toronto geek at UT

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive