HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 2:55 AM
TL;DR

I saw the PD application for the Division/Larrabee Target. The elevations were reproduced terribly, but the design is quite similar to the new store just completed in Lakewood, CO.

The Chicago store will use the same dusty-red brick as the Peterson store, and probably to a greater extent than the Lakewood store (since every building in Chicago has to be in muted tones, apparently. Other changes in the Chicago design include ad posters every ~20 feet along the sidewalk and cantilevered glass boxes sticking out of the facade (kinda like the glass "display cases" on Block 37). The big glass escalator lobby is right on the corner of Division/Larrabee, helping to activate the intersection. There will not be the red spheres or generous sidewalk plaza seen in Lakewood.

Lakewood, CO Target photo gallery

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 3:17 AM

Target: my favorite place for shirt-shopping, even with all the strange escalators. I actually really dig the colors. And activating an intersection is always a good idea. You tend to get a lot of revitalization in the community. Getting more retail usually does that. Close to a startup date for this yet? At least the application went in, which is good to hear. All the shoppers out there are probably hungry for the chance to dive out there and make some purchases.

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Look, you are using the literal definition of ghetto which I obviously am not. I think it's pretty clear I'm using ghetto in the sense that it is used in American slang. A, I saying RP is a racially homogeneous, dense area, with few entrances and exits? Obviously not. Am I saying that that RP has lots of people who act like or think they are thugs? Yes. Am I saying that there is higher than average gang activity in RP? Yes. Am I saying that RP has a good number of run down, slumish buildings? Yes. Am I saying that RP has a relatively high crime rate? Yes. Are all of these things true? Yes. Therefore RP fits the American slang term "ghetto"...

My point about Juneway Jungle is that RP was once and, still is to some extent, notoriously ghetto in places. I don't care how connected Juneway is, I care that its in RP and one of several blocks, streets, and alley's that are actually pretty dangerous sometimes.
Kind of crazy that you would have to actually explain your use of language here.

This is true, though. I live in Bronzeville now and really have no issues walking anywhere around here, though I suppose I would toss in the caveat that I'm around 35th street, so I can't speak to what it's like, say, down around 47th.

When I lived in Rogers Park (Chase & Greenview) I would not have walked east of the Howard train stop to save my life with the amount of drug and gang activity going on around there. It was similarly rough, though not as heavy, if you found yourself in the alleys around the Jarvis stop at night. A lot of RP is very nice, but there are pockets here and there where it's about as bad as it gets.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I saw the PD application for the Division/Larrabee Target. The elevations were reproduced terribly, but the design is quite similar to the new store just completed in Lakewood, CO.
How far north and west does the building extend? Is parking access off Larrabee? And, to confirm, there is no plain asphalt surface parking, it's all on the ground level with the store on stilts?

The lack of public plaza space is fine as long as the setback along Division allowd for sidewalks to be wide enough given the high speed nature of the street there (probably should be a minimum 12' sidewalk, ideally 15'). The real issue is still a block east, where Clybourn and Division collide in the most pedestrian-hostile fashion imaginable for any at grade intersection.

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
The real issue is still a block east, where Clybourn and Division collide in the most pedestrian-hostile fashion imaginable for any at grade intersection.
Viva, wouldn't the argument be that the south side of Division, which includes Seward Park and supposedly will blossom into some kind of lovely neighborhood before long, is not only an alternative for pedestrians but actually could be kind of pleasant? Or that another acceptable crossing would/could be at Scott? Given the volume of traffic at Clybourn/Division, not much can be done to improve the intersection otherwise.

------------

The new Trader Joe's near Diversey and Clark is open. The State Farm facility next door is still under construction however. The Trader Joe's on Roosevelt is also not open yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I'll defer to Blair Kamin who essentially said the exact same things I was saying in his review...
A post here doesn't get any less false just because one repeats it and adds an epithet.

------------

So they announce they want to clean up the Chicago River, and then of all things...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2104261.story

Car Found in North Branch of Chicago River
May 21, 2011

Authorities this afternoon were on the scene where a car was found in the North Branch of the Chicago River near Goose Island.

(Actually this sounds like it will be a foul play story, but it kind of adds insult to injury and also reminds one how much industrial crap there might be in the river around that area.)

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 8:51 PM

Still wish the Division elevation could contain liner retail. But that's only in my perfect world. I have a hard time imagining who would fill those spaces. With the exception of a small strip retail gas station combo, the area from Clyborn to Halsted is pretty much all residential. I never get that vibe of it becoming this commercial Ave.

I happy about the Target though. It's a shame that shopping plaza with Dominicks couldn't follow a more urban model. One a side note, I love that small 1 story commercial building wedged between all those townhouses on Division.

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 9:25 PM

Are you referring to the gas station on the west side of Halsted? That's not horrible there but I definitely pray nobody gets any ideas of adding a gas station anywhere east of that intersection - that would just scream suburbia. I wonder if there is any fire/emergency related regulation that would prohibit a gas station on Goose Island? I wouldn't object to one there. Or at Elston.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 3:52 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
How far north and west does the building extend? Is parking access off Larrabee? And, to confirm, there is no plain asphalt surface parking, it's all on the ground level with the store on stilts?

The lack of public plaza space is fine as long as the setback along Division allowd for sidewalks to be wide enough given the high speed nature of the street there (probably should be a minimum 12' sidewalk, ideally 15'). The real issue is still a block east, where Clybourn and Division collide in the most pedestrian-hostile fashion imaginable for any at grade intersection.
Fortunately the site plan is legible. The sidewalk along Division is 7.8', but the design incorporates flowerbeds that can be removed later to increase the minimum width to 10.5'. Periodic setbacks in the facade will make the sidewalk feel wider than 10.5', too. It's not ideal for a busy commercial street, but Division won't be a busy commercial street. Larrabee will be the much more pedestrian-oriented street.

The Larrabee sidewalk has street trees in grates, and a total width of 13.5'.

My only suggestion would be to require Target to repave the intersection of Division/Larrabee with textured crosswalks and a more modern set of traffic signals to help the pedestrian flow. That's the least that Target can do in exchange for their sweetheart land deal with CHA.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 4:16 AM
TL;DR

The Target will not be so large that a street grid can't be restored around it. The western edge of the building actually lines up with the edge of the city's right-of-way for Frontier Avenue, so this street will probably be restored if/when CHA does the redevelopment of this area.

The northern edge of the building stops short of the right-of-way for West Scott Street. There is about 110' of depth there, so it can easily be partitioned into standard-sized city lots and developed with housing to mask the blank northern wall of the Target.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 3:48 PM
THAT Guy

Harper Court - Phase 1

Office tower

LA Fitness on the second floor

Retail stump awaiting future condo tower addition

Announced tenants so far include Chipotle and an Apple Authorized Campus Store. I'm not sure what that means in terms of store design, staff, products, etc.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 4:32 PM
Technocrat in Your Tank!

Didn’t realize the development was going to take over the old Hollywood video site as well—good to see that put to use. What’s going on between the retail and office floors, though—is that a fitness center?

I’m also glad to see an improved sidewalk on Lake Park with landscaping and on-street parking (even though I doubt it will turn out exactly as shown—there’s a fairly well-patronized bus stop on that corner)—walking along Lake Park’s currently kind of forbidding, with the sidewalk mostly being between parking lots and traffic. Not only is some of the surface parking going, but the parked cars and trees should create a nice buffer.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 7:54 PM

Wow, what a great looking street wall. I dig the variation.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 11:13 PM

New Morgan Street Green/Pink Line Station (posted in transit too)

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 2:37 AM

^ Ahhhh, you beat me to it. Excellent photos!

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 3:17 AM
TL;DR

Neat! The Morgan/Lake station is coming along nicely. I especially dig how the new steelwork is jointed into the old.

What's the future of the Borders at 53rd/Lake Park? I'm sure there's some resentment of Borders in HP, given the amazing variety of independent bookstores in the area. If demolished, would make a really neat transit plaza framed by the Hyde Park Bank and the new office tower.

spyguy: an Apple Authorized Campus Store doesn't mean anything with respect to the design. The Chipotle will probably follow their new template for urban stores with the plywood aesthetic (see Clinton/Monroe).

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 3:54 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Office tower

LA Fitness on the second floor

Retail stump awaiting future condo tower addition

Announced tenants so far include Chipotle and an Apple Authorized Campus Store. I'm not sure what that means in terms of store design, staff, products, etc.
Phase I looks pretty solid; bring it - thanks as always spyguy!

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 4:47 AM

Great shots and renderings ardecila, jc, spyguy and sentinel! Thanks for the updates.

Last edited by EarlyBuyer; May 23, 2011 at 6:42 PM. Reason: omitted correct credit

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 5:55 AM

^ A wonderful renaissance continues in Hyde Park.

Also it's kind of cool how the CTA can replace supports while they're holding up an operating el line.

----------------

For people following the Weed Street and North/Clybourn area developments, apparently the city is going to yank the RR rails out of Kingsbury Street this summer. Kingsbury will be repaved and mature from a basically light-industry street to a tire-friendly member of the street grid (for people who don't know, there are some ridiculous potholes along the rails that I suppose are not readily reparable by the city, and I'm sure that shops there such as Whole Paycheck (Foods) are losing at least some business because of this). Not sure about whether these changes apply north of North though - there is no pressing need there yet.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 2:23 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Great Harper Court find, Spyguy - thanks for posting.
I think this first phase looks good - I like the injection of some color around the base.......also looks like a street-level friendly large scale development.
When is this phase scheduled to begin?

Another U of C development question: Does anyone know when that new HOK-designed science building is scheduled to kick-off? Is it demo this year and then full-speed ahead? (I think that project was a little delayed with the aftermath of the financial crisis and related endowment hit, was it not?)

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 2:38 PM
you know where I'll be

Rahm and development issues

Wondering what folks' thoughts are about how, if it all, Rahm may push through reform regarding development matters in Chicago. There was an article I think in the Trib online over the weekend talking about some efforts to streamline zoning and permitting matters. Clearly directed at the bureaucratic red tape that slows projects down, and granted that's a very important issue that needs addressing. I'm more interested in anything he may do to mitigate all of the aldermanic political nonsense (the dreaded aldermanic prerogative) that slows or kills great, good and even mediocre developments in this city. We desparately need a shift in balance toward more centralized, planning and design professional-driven decision-making for real estate development in Chicago and away from this poisonous, hyper-localized, completely politicized, direct democracy (I love how vivalfuego recently put it, and I may be - hopefully not butchering - paraphrasing here....something like: the rule by angry mob method) goofiness that passes for planning and approval process today.

Is Rahm a real reformer? This is an area of the city's workings that is crying out loudly for reform. Can he pick major fights with the council when they are worthy and he's on the right side? Honestly with some of his very (very) early decisions and appointments - the remaking of the council committees, appointment of council committee heads, etc - I would have hoped for more bold moves..........thus far he's at least publicly very much working within the current (ineffective) systems than demanding they be shaken-up and some of them flipped on their head - which is what many of Chicago governments' internal systems and inner workings need....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; May 23, 2011 at 3:00 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development