HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 5:19 AM
Lurker

How can they arrive late when UTA says they arrived "two years early"

If a train appears to be ten minutes late, it's actually 729 days, 23 hours, and 50 minutes early!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 11:07 PM

UTA kinda botched the FrontRunner South opening, didn't they? I know there's always going to be some settling in when a new line opens, but ticket machines crashing, ceasing to accept credit cards, whole stations losing power, highly touted wifi on the trains failing, malfunctions with the boarding features on the trains, trains dying on the track (of which there is only one for some reason?) and delaying whole transit system schedules.... What do they test the line for 6 months for???

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 5:34 AM
Lurker

I made a Time Lapse video heading south from Salt Lake Central Station. My phone ran out of space before I could reach Murray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV22U...ature=youtu.be

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 5:11 AM

I found an interesting article on air pollution. I debated putting it in the main SLC section, but I think that it is a little more pertinent here, especially due to its big relation to cars/public transit.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top...3iDs7J_fg.cspx

"Officials say they concluded their plans would do little to reduce air pollution along the urban corridor anchored by Salt Lake City.

"The regulators say they're scrapping the plans to start over on tougher measures.

"The EPA agrees the Utah plans are inadequate and says it won't penalize Utah by threatening a loss of highway funds, as long as the state keeps working."

I think I am pretty happy about this article. I am only 26, but for the first time this year I started to feel the effects of the inversion (just a general sick feeling). I would love to live in Salt lake for the rest of my life, but I am a little concerned that as I grow older, I may not be able to deal with the inversion. I have been following this debate quite closely because I feel that air quality is one of the largest problems in Salt Lake and the Wasatch Front. The ideas that were proposed were a little ridiculous and like the article stated, did little to actually address the issue. For instance, if I remember right, they wanted to institute a program to phase out ovens with pilot lights and regulate bread bakeries. While I am sure that both would have an effect, as the article stated, both would do VERY little.

I think that the biggest issue, and the one that no one really wants to touch, is with cars. Cars contribute to a huge portion of the pollution (the most common number I hear is 50%). I like the idea of a smog check in Tooele and Box Elder Counties (although I don't know if it will ever get passed. Logan is currently screaming over an attempt to start a smog check there). I also think that the best way to deal with the problem is public transit. I might sound like a crazy, but I would love to see public transit totally free, and that by making it free more people will be willing to get out of their car and into a bus or on TRAX. Would it ever happen? No, but I can dream, can't I?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 1:40 AM

The Airport TRAX Station changing colored LEDs are on. Looks pretty cool. Check out the video. I assume they will have the same lights on all the stations. This is at the Jackson/Euclid Station.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 2:36 AM
Lurker

That's obnoxious. I hope the colors change more slowly than that.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 2:44 AM

The lights are cool but I think that they maybe should slow the transitions down some. It almost seems like a night club haha Party at the trax station!!!

If if I was waiting for the train and reading a book or newspaper or on an iPad it would probably be distracting or irritating. Slowing them down would help. It would also be cool if they could have the lights change and follow the train as it arrives/departs the station.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 6:01 AM

Lightbulb

Those lights were changing faster than an 1960's era aluminum Christmas tree rotating color wheel lamp, that you can buy for less than $30 today.
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...or_Wheel/37064
With just four platforms, UTA could get the same effect for less than $120.

Somehow, I just know they spent far more.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 2:07 PM

I've been watching for my first sighting of a TRAX car on the airport line. I saw one yesterday on North Temple. I also rode Frontrunner from Salt Lake to Provo and back about a week ago. The trip is quite scenic, unlike the trip from SL to Ogden. Part of it is very close to Utah Lake. Once you get to Provo, there's nothing for blocks. Provo blocks are about half the size of SL blocks, so things aren't as far as you think. There was about a 50 minute layover so I walked over and looked at the construction site of the tabernacle / temple. They're building a new foundation so they have to support the building while they dig under it. It's very interesting. You can make the walk easily, but you have to kind of hustle or you could miss your train.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 5:05 PM

Has anyone else noticed that at the end of each canopy on the Airport TRAX line they have a red covering the end of the main girder? Could this be a hint that they might change the Airport line to the red line, rather than having the green line go to the airport?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 5:36 PM

Is the airport line open now? I saw a train on it the other day.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Is the airport line open now? I saw a train on it the other day.
No, it will open in April--they are just testing the line.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 6:10 PM
Downtown with a Family

Those LED lights are ridiculous. They're just a dumb fad that will look sadly dated in 5 years. I really hope they would consider extremely slow transitions. Say a slow transition from one color to another through the whole night. Start out white and fade into blue as the hours pass on. Or what about a different color depending on the weather, like the walker center but without the flashing (just for fun, not because it would be informative - if you are close enough to the stop you would already know the weather).

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 6:24 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I am hoping and assuming that the changing lights will be slower and that they are simply testing the system. Maybe they will speed up the color change as a train approaches, to jolt peoples attention away from their phones.

As for the weather forecast, The Walker Center isn't used to tell the current weather, but rather the forecast for the next day/24 hours. It wouldn't be very useful if it said it was snowing when it is already snowing.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 6:05 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I am hoping and assuming that the changing lights will be slower and that they are simply testing the system. Maybe they will speed up the color change as a train approaches, to jolt peoples attention away from their phones.

As for the weather forecast, The Walker Center isn't used to tell the current weather, but rather the forecast for the next day/24 hours. It wouldn't be very useful if it said it was snowing when it is already snowing.
Slower would probably be better... It actually doesn't look that bad in person though...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 7:09 PM
Lurker

UTA posted this chart onto their Facebook page. It's been a good year for pedestrians.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 2:51 AM

I just saw this Frontrunner South commercial on TV.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 3:32 AM

I encourage everyone with a vested interest in public transportation in this city to attend these hearings: http://www.rideuta.com/mc/?page=UTA-...ServiceChanges

There's one in Salt Lake on Wednesday evening from 5:30 to 7:30 I'll try to attend for at least a few minutes. They're pretty informal, open house-style affairs that allow you to speak directly with UTA's planners. Pretty enlightening, actually.

The most important proposals being made involve adding bus service to 2200 West north of North Temple, adding a route connecting the International Center to the TRAX station at the airport, and eliminating Sunday service in the Avenues. Of course, these hearings will also provide information on the soon-to-be-opening Green Line extension to the airport. Be stoked guys.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 6:35 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

I just thought it was worth mentioning that all 4 lanes of traffic are now open on the north temple overpass... And with that North Temple is now at 100% as far driving goes :-)

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 7:30 PM
Development Junkie

In regards to UTA:

Now that FrontLines2015 is basically complete (except for current construction/testing of Sugarhouse, Draper and Airport lines (all opening within about a year)...

WHAT IS NEXT? What is FrontLines2030?
  • Is Ogden going to get the streetcars they've been pining for?
  • Is Orem/Provo actually going to get BRT between their respective stations down University Parkway/Avenue?
  • Will TRAX creep up into Bountiful... down to Lehi?
  • Where will the next FrontRunner extension be? Payson? Tooele? Brigham City?
When will all of this happen?

UTA created a great list of ambitions and projections... but now 95% of that list is nearly complete. When will they announce their next list?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West