HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 12:37 AM

We also had another tech company announcement today. 85 more tech jobs coming to the city.

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...ech-firm-plans

New Orleans Entrepreneur Week was what made them decide to open an office here. Cool to see a networking event lead to jobs for the area.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 2:15 AM

Any new news on the International Trade Center ?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 2:29 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by East72nd View Post
Any new news on the International Trade Center ?
Demo bids were due last week so that should be awarded and starting soon. Probably will take several months to complete demo.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 8:25 PM

Canal Street Ferry Terminal

Canal Street ferry terminal to be torn down, opening up riverfront

The Canal Street ferry terminal, seen for years as an impediment to opening the Mississippi riverfront, would be torn down and replaced with a pedestrian landing on a floating barge, under a plan being pursued by New Orleans city and transit leaders.

The proposal is part of a larger vision to revamp the area between the Audubon Aquarium and the former World Trade Center: upgrades to Spanish Plaza, a rail spur for a new streetcar line headed Uptown toward the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, a bus terminal for connections and two new ferry boats...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...rminal_to.html

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
Canal Street ferry terminal to be torn down, opening up riverfront

The Canal Street ferry terminal, seen for years as an impediment to opening the Mississippi riverfront, would be torn down and replaced with a pedestrian landing on a floating barge, under a plan being pursued by New Orleans city and transit leaders.

The proposal is part of a larger vision to revamp the area between the Audubon Aquarium and the former World Trade Center: upgrades to Spanish Plaza, a rail spur for a new streetcar line headed Uptown toward the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, a bus terminal for connections and two new ferry boats...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...rminal_to.html
GREAT idea. The city gets its wished-for "open Canal Street" like they were pushing with the WTC tear-down, Four Seasons will have a much more attractive area around it, people are more likely to actually use the ferry because it'll be near a beautiful plaza overlooking the river and in a modern facility, AND they add a streetcar spur. Win win win win.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 10:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
GREAT idea. The city gets its wished-for "open Canal Street" like they were pushing with the WTC tear-down, Four Seasons will have a much more attractive area around it, people are more likely to actually use the ferry because it'll be near a beautiful plaza overlooking the river and in a modern facility, AND they add a streetcar spur. Win win win win.
Only confusion I have is why they used the rendering for the Conrad Hilton and not Four Seasons. The bottom of the world trade center wont look like that .. regardless this is exactly what is needed right there. Will really help keep pedestrian flow from french quarter, canal , harrahs, four seasons , and riverwalk all moving together and will benefit all of those properties.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Only confusion I have is why they used the rendering for the Conrad Hilton and not Four Seasons. The bottom of the world trade center wont look like that .. regardless this is exactly what is needed right there. Will really help keep pedestrian flow from french quarter, canal , harrahs, four seasons , and riverwalk all moving together and will benefit all of those properties.
I noticed that too. Result would be a bit less open space between Four Seasons and the terminal/foot of Canal. This will still definitely make that whole area feel like a grand, open square though. Hoping they take advantage and have cafes and some European-style food carts out there. If only we could address the power substation right there...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 10:22 PM
-

Quote:
I noticed that too. Result would be a bit less open space between Four Seasons and the terminal/foot of Canal. This will still definitely make that whole area feel like a grand, open square though. Hoping they take advantage and have cafes and some European-style food carts out there. If only we could address the power substation right there...
It does look like they have some sprucing up of sidewalks around substation planned.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
If you look closely you can also see a small traffic circle with a monument in it, which I think is perfect for the foot of Canal Street if done properly. The question will be, what is appropriate to honor there? The founding of the city? A prominent resident? An idea like immigration, slavery, industry, the Louisiana Purchase? I would be fine if the bronze monument to Bienville on Decatur Street is moved here.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 12:03 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
If you look closely you can also see a small traffic circle with a monument in it, which I think is perfect for the foot of Canal Street if done properly. The question will be, what is appropriate to honor there? The founding of the city? A prominent resident? An idea like immigration, slavery, industry, the Louisiana Purchase? I would be fine if the bronze monument to Bienville on Decatur Street is moved here.
I guess we will have to see if there is room for that.. Im sure the city is working with Four Seasons team directly to coordinate plans. As for something to honor there.. id say the guy who founded the place or something that will celebrate our tricentennial.

201 South Villere Update (pretty much done framing first and am onto second level and finishing wall around the courtyard)

Last edited by tennis1400; Nov 6, 2015 at 12:30 AM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 12:59 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
I certainly hope it's not Liberty Place again. Still, that spot has a certain importance in the psychogeography of the city... it definitely needs a monument.

I've always dreamed of something like the Dublin Spire at that location... For reference, this is about as tall as the WTC (400') and about 10' in diameter at the base, tapering to 6" at the top.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 1:28 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I certainly hope it's not Liberty Place again. Still, that spot has a certain importance in the psychogeography of the city... it definitely needs a monument.

I've always dreamed of something like the Dublin Spire at that location... For reference, this is about as tall as the WTC (400') and about 10' in diameter at the base, tapering to 6" at the top.

Definitely would like something like that. Just not a giant fleur de lis!!~~!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 1:28 AM

A greatly revised plan for the Royal Cosmopolitan Hotel project in the first block of Royal was conditionally approved by the City Council today.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...art_river_home

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 2:02 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
A greatly revised plan for the Royal Cosmopolitan Hotel project in the first block of Royal was conditionally approved by the City Council today.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...art_river_home
I think it looks great.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 2:58 PM

The traffic on the 100 block of Royal (and stretching into 200 and 300 block) is already terrible. Hopefully they will change the sequence of the traffic light at Canal there before this hotel opens.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 7:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
The traffic on the 100 block of Royal (and stretching into 200 and 300 block) is already terrible. Hopefully they will change the sequence of the traffic light at Canal there before this hotel opens.
I think traffic in the quarter in general needs a rethink.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 10:21 PM

World Trade Center Hold-Up

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ur_season.html

Once again, the World Trade Center redevelopment is in limbo. I seriously am getting frustrated with how the city is handling this. First they kill a great proposal by Gatehouse to make a quick buck on them, then send of RFP's and get great responses. You'd think they'd do anything in their power legally to get this signed and started on, but they had to send the secret emails and give Two Canal Investors a leg in the legal system. This is absolutely ridiculous and now who knows when this project will even start, much less be completed. Does anyone have any feelings as to how this next round of legal proceedings may pan out?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 12:15 AM

From what I can tell, the lease is still intact and there was not a restraining order issued to halt development of the project. I think the biggest issue will be nervous investors that may try to pull some money out of the project due to the lien that Two Canal St. has tried to place on the property. Otherwise, I don't see anything that would stop the project from breaking ground as planned in 2016.

In the long run, Two Canal St. does not have a leg stand on. The entire process was spelled out ahead of time, and the review process was completely above board and open to the public. Two Canal St. was lucky that they got a sympathetic judge.

In other words, I'm not too worried about this right now. I would be more worried if an order was written up that specifically halted the development. That fortunately did not happen from what I've read.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 6:08 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
From what I can tell, the lease is still intact and there was not a restraining order issued to halt development of the project. I think the biggest issue will be nervous investors that may try to pull some money out of the project due to the lien that Two Canal St. has tried to place on the property. Otherwise, I don't see anything that would stop the project from breaking ground as planned in 2016.

In the long run, Two Canal St. does not have a leg stand on. The entire process was spelled out ahead of time, and the review process was completely above board and open to the public. Two Canal St. was lucky that they got a sympathetic judge.

In other words, I'm not too worried about this right now. I would be more worried if an order was written up that specifically halted the development. That fortunately did not happen from what I've read.
Im surprised to hear financing not wrapped up until May? thought that was already done.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 5:13 AM
-

Interesting news via Canal Street Beat. Looks like the Pythian is starting construction next week after closing financing. The ongoing work has just been demo to prepare for the renovation.

Other interesting tidbits:

- Commercial tenants will include a 20,000-square-foot public market similar to St. Roch and Dryades Public Market, a physical therapy center, and a health care clinic.

- will include 69 one-and two-bedroom market rate and lower-income apartments on the upper floors and roughly 40,000 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor and mezzanine area.

http://canalstreetbeat.com/25-millio...und-next-week/

Also confirmation that construction of foundation for 1031 Canal has finally commenced on their facebook page.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations