HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
^^^ It's not a new development. It's the same microapartment project I posted about a few posts up...it went before the Planning Board on Tuesday. The lawyer for the developer explained that it's basically the same as the plan that had already been approved, except that the residential is moved up by 2 floors to accommodate the offices. And now the residential component is branded as 'co-living' and studios rather than 'microapartments.' Also the facade got a redesign (much improved) courtesy of C3D Architects.

EDIT: I saw someone also posted about 17 Perrine after I posted about it. Can someone post to let me know if my posts are showing up?
I accidentally missed your post. Your images are showing up fine.

I do have new news regarding the towers planned for west of the Loew's Theater in Journal Square. It's being referred to as Zone 10 and it's part of a newly envisioned Cultural Arts District. It's very ambitious, and I think city leaders are taking a bit of a gamble on this plan as there are a few moving parts that need to fall into place so it can work.

Quote:
Zone 10: Cultural Arts District

1) Purpose: This zone is to intended to create a new cultural arts district, connecting Journal Square to Mana Contemporary and the growing cultural community surrounding these developments. The zone will provide bonuses for newly built cultural facilities and public open space connections between them. To accommodate the cultural facilities and site development, infrastructure improvements to facilitate public access to rail transit and pedestrian connections through the area are required.
"Studio V Architecture rendering of what the alley next to the Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre in Jersey City could look like after the area is redeveloped. Courtesy of Jersey City" from nj.com

There is a very soft height limit of 37 floors for two towers. The height limit can be greatly exceeded depending on the amount of cultural facilities constructed by the developer, at a ratio of 20:1 sqft. A developer can build a theater, art gallery, art studio, dance\rehearsal studio, museum, or library on one of the other three sites located in Zone 10, which would qualify for the density bonus. One of the sites allows "retail sales of goods or services," to qualify for the bonus, which could be interpreted as a multi-story public market?

For example, a 100,000 sqft theater would allow 2,000,000 sqft of residential (or office) density above the 37 floor limit. For reference, the Hudson County Community College library down the street represents 112,500 sqft. There is also a sizable density bonus, adding an additional 8:1 ratio, if the cultural facitiltcity also includes a rooftop space open to the public. (Me things someone at the city loves rooftop bars with a view.)

It's all a little abstract thus far. It's a very clever way of incentivizing an arts district in exchange for unlimited density potential.

It will be an interesting one to watch. My guess is some of the other residential towers will have to be completed and leased up before this one. If the other developments are widely successful, the buildings on Zone 10 could reach for the sky.

Site plan:

Last edited by C.; Oct 7, 2016 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 7:22 PM

The arts district proposal is very promising, both for the potential for giant new towers and for the addition of some new cultural institutions.

Great news for Journal Square.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 8:10 PM

PATH is literally the backbone of all this development. In addition, a good majority of the residents in the developments spurred by the HBLR probably feed into PATH.

Average weekday ridership for PATH is now around 275,000, and it's growing at 10,000 per year. Jersey City (along with Harrison and Newark) are going to force the issue of an additional subway line into Manhattan.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 3:03 AM

Exclamation

I don't believe it myself, but a developer is planning a 50 story residential building with an attached 6-story parking garage on a vacant lot near 87 Newkirk Street and behind 30 Journal Square.

It will require an amendment to the Journal Square 2060 Redevelopment Plan. Developer is currently engaging in pre-development and construction financing. No images or other info at this point.

I'm floored at the sheer number of active developments now underway in Jersey City. There is something special happening here. Thousands upon thousands of new high-income residents. How will that change the area? And with advanced knowledge of what's to come, I'm thinking I really need to buy in the area!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
I don't believe it myself, but a developer is planning a 50 story residential building with an attached 6-story parking garage on a vacant lot near 87 Newkirk Street and behind 30 Journal Square.

It will require an amendment to the Journal Square 2060 Redevelopment Plan. Developer is currently engaging in pre-development and construction financing. No images or other info at this point.

I'm floored at the sheer number of active developments now underway in Jersey City. There is something special happening here. Thousands upon thousands of new high-income residents. How will that change the area? And with advanced knowledge of what's to come, I'm thinking I really need to buy in the area!
56 floors then likely? Maybe another 700ft. potential like the smaller One Journal Square tower... damn!!!!!! We could in a decade maybe be counting 10-12 500ft or taller in the Journal Square area...it would be an amazing central city cluster and the arts district plan which you mentioned is still a bit of a gamble but could pay off incredibly should things work out both in much needed transit upgrades and serious development of a cultural central district! Incredible time for Jersey City and a Journal Square that could well become a major destination center because of the cultural aspect of the plans being considered...I love the ambition of the proposals and hope they all come forward over the next decade.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 1:38 PM

Not sure if it's 50 above a six story parking garage or a total of 50 next to a six story parking garage. I feel like I found a Jersey City growth machine cabal that's even more pro-development than me!

I also have news on a large scale development near liberty state park.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 1:49 PM

No info on heights but there is also a multi phased development with over two thousand units near the end of the Morris Canal. Odd shaped lot. Look at the February 2016 development map, proposal number 91 on the map.

http://data.jerseycitynj.gov/dataset/development-maps

It's labeled "The View \ Mill Creek Ln" with 575 residential units, 9,700 sqft of retail space, and 988 parking spaces. Well that plan has been significantly revised since May. It's now 2,150 residential units, 50,000 sqft of retail space, 860 parking spaces, and a new public park!

Last edited by C.; Oct 11, 2016 at 3:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 1:53 PM

I moved to Jersey City in July from Upper Manhattan and for the most part like it, but want to move back into the city next year, for primarily the PATH, in my opinion it really sucks.. With all the continued development both downtown and journal square, they really need to run more trains, especially on weekends..

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoguy1 View Post
I moved to Jersey City in July from Upper Manhattan and for the most part like it, but want to move back into the city next year, for primarily the PATH, in my opinion it really sucks.. With all the continued development both downtown and journal square, they really need to run more trains, especially on weekends..
Trains on the late night weekend are crammed pack but run less frequent than the Staten Island railroad. It's ridiculous. There is a school of thought that transit investment in this country usually only comes when things are at a crisis level. Jersey City is definitely forcing that crisis.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 1:57 AM

Quote:
How many 50 floor+ towers are coming to Journal Square? It has to be well over a dozen at this point.

There are going to be more 500 ft.+ towers in Journal Square than in all but a handful of American cities. Maybe two dozen or so a decade from now, or more.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 3:23 AM

The site is 101 Newkirk

Tried to get the site and relation to that Journal Square building with the Capital One sign.

http://thejcra.org/wp-content/upload...esolutions.pdf - Page 72

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 3:58 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Construction Update: 207 Van Vorst Street

Quote:
The first building, which is also under construction, features 255 residences and an additional 7,237 square feet of retail space.

“Located in a densely populated section of Jersey City, right next to a school, 207 Van Vorst Street presents the type of construction challenges that we’ve become adept at overcoming,” Fields Construction Principal Jim Caulfield said. “As we look to take on new projects throughout New Jersey, these two buildings will serve as shining examples of the world-class work that our team produces.”

The project, which is being developed by Fields Development Group, was designed by architectural firm Marchetto Higgins Stieve. McLaren Engineering Group is providing structural engineering design and construction support for the project.

Construction of Phase I is expected to be complete in fall 2017, while Phase II is slated for completion in winter 2018.
================================
http://jerseydigs.com/fields-begins-...-vorst-street/

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 6:09 PM

Minor updates on construction in Journal Square that I haven't seen mentioned on here:

*Mixed signals on the One Journal Square (Kushner/KABR) site...the soil-boring machine is gone (again), *but* the parking lot on this site (directly adjoining the old Public Service trolley building) is now vacated. Still no word on financing. I wonder why Kushner/KABR don't put their money where their mouths are on this and provide more equity financing to get it off the ground?

*A small commercial rowhouse-type building between the Greek Orthodox Church and a parking lot on 529 Summit Ave, directly across from the PATH station, has been razed. Hopefully not for a parking lot extension (parking lots are prohibited except for interim uses in the Journal Square Redevelopment Area).

*Excavation has started on a site at 369 Summit Ave at the corner of Summit and Academy Streets, across from the municipal courthouse. Plans call for a 69-unit building with 1,740 sqft of retail 18 parking spaces in the first phase of construction, and 120 units, 5000 sqft of retail, and 70 parking spaces in the second phase. This site was previously a parking lot. The first phase is listed as proposal #69 on the Journal Square Development Map that CIA linked to above; phase II is listed as proposal #68.

*The houses at the corner of Perrine Ave and High St have been razed, though there is no construction equipment on site now. Proposals call for a 37-unit building with no parking at this site. This site, at 44-46 High St (or 3 Perrine Ave) is listed as proposal #78 on the Journal Square Development Map.

Last edited by Hamilton; Oct 17, 2016 at 2:42 AM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 1:59 AM

Quote:
No info on heights but there is also a multi phased development with over two thousand units near the end of the Morris Canal. Odd shaped lot. Look at the February 2016 development map, proposal number 91 on the map.

http://data.jerseycitynj.gov/dataset/development-maps

It's labeled "The View \ Mill Creek Ln" with 575 residential units, 9,700 sqft of retail space, and 988 parking spaces. Well that plan has been significantly revised since May. It's now 2,150 residential units, 50,000 sqft of retail space, 860 parking spaces, and a new public park!
Fantastic! Does it need zoning/planning approval, or is it as-of-right?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 2:13 AM

Quote:
*Mixed signals on the One Journal Square (Kushner/KABR) site...the soil-boring machine is gone (again), *but* the parking lot on this site (directly adjoining the old Public Service trolley building) is now vacated. Still no word on financing. I wonder why Kushner/KABR don't put their money where their mouths are on this and provide more equity financing to get it off the ground?
They also lost their potential anchor tenant per this article: Jersey City 'not cool,' has 'no vibe,' N.Y.C. exec says

lol. They were awarded a 59 million tax subsidy, which they turned away with this snub. This is probably going to set things back a bit. I suspect all eyes are on the first Journal Squared tower. If lease demand is strong, One JSQ, along with a few others towers, will be full steam ahead. Look what happened to Ironstate: 90 Columbus began construction lightning fast after demand for 50 Columbus exceed even the most optimistic expectations.

As of February 2016, there is 7,870 units downtown and 1,334 units in Journal Square that were reported under construction by city planning. The numbers should be much higher now. Jersey City is adding 10,000+ units every couple years, That's very healthy, and it means One JSQ will get built, eventually.

BTW. I found a reliable indicator, which usually reports about 30 to 60 days prior to a high-rise project breaking ground. Unfortunately, Jersey City isn't on the list right now. It's updated daily, so maybe tomorrow brings something.

Good to see some of the other smaller developments are proceeding.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
Fantastic! Does it need zoning/planning approval, or is it as-of-right?
The old version is approved. The new version needs planning approval.

I found some info on the old version from Jersey Digs:

Quote:
Riviera may be a fantasy development but it’s definitely worth a look. Situated between Liberty Harbor and Liberty State Park on the Jersey Avenue Extension (Mill Creek Lane) between Audrey Zapp Drive and Aetna Street. If built, the massive complex, with plans for 5 separate buildings, would house 1,270 residential units as well as some office space. Also in the plans are indoor and outdoor pools, recreational areas and amenities. Plans also call for 30,000 square foot of retail space and a 4 level parking garage with 1,008 spaces.
That in itself may have been an increase from the original proposal. Not sure.

Quote:
Three connected high-rise towers with 575 dwelling units atop a parking and retail base. Maximum height is 30 stories including a base of approx. 3 stories. Originally approved November 30, 2004, amended May 22,

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 5:17 PM

Supposedly though that spokesman from We Works was speaking of the cuff and not necessarily representative of senior directors there.... I read updated material on that while We Works may wind up not going there it seems he was more talking out of his ass and a higher up there actually had much kinder words for the current environment in Jersey City. So we'll have to see.

Very nice proposal for the Liberty State Park area... really like it a lot and hope the reworking is approved.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 6:35 PM

Quote:
They also lost their potential anchor tenant per this article:
No, they didn't. WeWork has signed as an anchor, and there's nothing in the article indicating otherwise.

The article is about a WeWork executive saying that Jersey City is currently pretty dead compared to Brooklyn, which I think almost everyone would agree with. JC has come a long way but no rational person is going to say it's Brooklyn's equal.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 11:30 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

JERSEY CITY | 455 Ocean Avenue | 50 FT | 5 FLOORS

Project: 455 Ocean Avenue

Quote:
Jersey City officials broke ground on the new a five-story housing development last week that will provide 64 affordable housing units and commercial retail space to the Greenville section of the city.

Members of Mayor Steve Fulop's administration joined state officials and officials from Genesis Company – the project's developer – on Wednesday at an empty lot at 455 Ocean Ave. to break ground on the Dr. Lena Frances Edwards housing development.

The project – which received a $1.5 million grant from the Jersey City Affordable Housing Trust Fund – will create dozens of affordable housing units, including five units specifically for homeless veterans. The building will comprise 12 one-bedroom apartments, 36-two bedroom units and 16-three bedroom apartments.
=============================
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...w_housing.html

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
No, they didn't. WeWork has signed as an anchor, and there's nothing in the article indicating otherwise.
Great news!! Thanks for the correction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations