HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
I love where your mind is going with this, and I live very close to the development. Of all the plans I've seen, I don't see anything above 15 stories and most 5-10. They want to make it 35% affordable, about 2,500 of the 8,000 units eventually planned... and it makes sense to encourage mixed income neighborhoods instead of segregating housing by neighborhoods. I just don't think they are going to wind up going this way, unless you have more than just an inkling or hunch.

Wanted to add that it's great to see you on, missed our Jersey City briefings by our very own CIA As reported in another Jersey City development related site, am hearing that Mack Cali still intends to start 25 Columbus by the end of the year. Hoping you have some more tidbit and info about this and other projects.
Ah, thanks citybooster - I still follow development news. It's just been a lot slower this year than it the past from my anecdotal experience. Whatever concerns and whispers about oversupply may have been subdued this year by the slower pace of new construction. Everything coming online is being leased out in near-record times.

I have no inside info regarding Bayfront other than the math. $170 million in bonds to be repaid with interest, with 2,500 affordable housing units, a possible Hudson-Bergen Light Rail extension, and other site conditions that need improvement. It's possible the end product will exceed the 8,000, or about 80 units an acre plus the commercial and retail space. We shall see.

Visual representation of density image courtesy of qph.fs.quoracdn.net!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 12:19 AM

Is there any chance of something actually happening at 2-30 Montgomery? The renders on CityRealty show a 70 story tower taking up the whole block but it seems odd as 30 Montgomery, the office tower portion, was just renovated. Perhaps the crappy podium could be replaced with a tower.

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/jerse...y-street/84711

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 3:01 AM

No, it's a dead plan. The choice was either to demolish or renovate several years back and they choose to renovate.

Plus there isn't that much demand yet for that much commercial. It's a residential market and there is plenty of vacant and under utilized lots to build.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 3:50 AM

So with word that HQ2 will land in Long Island City (and Crystal $hitty ), that should be a boon for nearby Jersey City. It's not just the 25,000 jobs that Amazon will bring but also companies and contractors that also do business with Amazon along with the economic multiplier effect. Google claims the commute can be done in under an hour from Journal Square and under 50 minutes from Grove PATH Station. If Jersey City sees 1/25th of the benefit, that will still be over a thousand new homes needed.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 5:54 PM

I knew 30 Montgomery wasn't going to be developed since I heard they were indeed choosing to revamp and update that building a couple of years back, and you're right about residential being more the case for development than office space(especially since it would be Harborside 4 that would start getting the ball rolling on that when Mack Cali finally gets going on that).

Just hopeful we have some projects really ready to be getting underway early/mid 2019 plus the 25 Columbus development supposed to have groundbreaking by the end of the year. Always look forward to your posts, perspectives and info. Noticing a lot of building right by the Liberty Park light rail station, that area is going to really come alive in the next couple of years.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 6:06 PM

30 Montgomery will eventually get redeveloped into a higher-density tower. It will just take time, and further maturation of the JC office market.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
30 Montgomery will eventually get redeveloped into a higher-density tower. It will just take time, and further maturation of the JC office market.
I would definitely agree with that. ten years or so from now would probably be a lot riper for office development than now, and they just did a smart thing having the current building upgraded and refreshed in the interim.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 7:14 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Construction Update: 485 Marin (ready to open)

Credit: FC

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 8:24 PM

Anything can happen, but it looks like a 25 Columbus will break ground in March 2019. 626 ft to top of mechanical penthouse.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 5:14 AM

Reiterating that Bayfront is market driven. I think the density, but not necessarily the height, will be a lot higher than most are expecting.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Reiterating that Bayfront is market driven. I think the density, but not necessarily the height, will be a lot higher than most are expecting.
I wouldn't be surprised... I think a lot of midrises of 8-15 stories with 300-500 apartments and maybe a taller tower or two depending on interest. One thing though that's an absolute must in my mind is dealing with the flooding that happens a lot when there is a line of heavy rain that comes through... parts of 440 get flooded really quickly.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 10:32 AM

Rendering of the Hilton Canopy

Also, there may be something coming for 61-63 Sip Avenue. The property was purchased for $3.25 million for about 0.15 acres...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2018, 4:50 PM

A new 20-story 430-unit luxury rental building is planned on the site of the current St. Lucy's homeless shelter at 619 Grove Street. A new homeless shelter with 150 beds will be built across the street.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2018/12/ne...rsey-city.html

Image from Jersey Journal at link above

Current zoning allows for around 40 units and there is currently 80 beds at the existing homeless shelter. Big increases in what's a forgotten part of town cut off by the Holland Tunnel lanes to the south and the Hoboken railyards to the North.

The Catholic Church, which owns the site, is in the real estate business.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 3:42 PM

Kushner firm wins records dispute against Jersey City

JERSEY CITY — A Hudson County judge ruled Friday that the Fulop administration must hand over documents requested by Kushner Companies related to the developer’s stalled Journal Square project, a plan that is at the center of a separate legal proceeding in federal court.

Judge Francis B. Schultz’ five-page decision, which also slaps Jersey City for not devoting enough resources to answering public-records requests, comes as the administration faces renewed criticism over its transparency.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/01/ku...rsey-city.html

Author: Terrence T. McDonald, The Jersey Journal, 01/02/19

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 11:29 PM

JC updates development applications daily now. The latest

24-26 Romaine Drive - 6 floors, 15 units
400 Claremount Drive - 6 floors, 621 units
3 New York Ave - 6 and 8 floors, 340 units total

The mid-rises are coming

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 11:46 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Almost a 1000 units.

But goes to show how many units mid-rises can actually add. More neighborhoods in general in NJ need rezoning to allow for 6-8 floor structures.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 10:13 PM

This one is interesting: an 11-floor building at 72 York Street. The parking lot in the image:

https://goo.gl/maps/oq9VfQMT6V12

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
Those are from 9 months ago....

2 shore drive is already well under construction. 1075 is the project of the puccini's site...they were hoping to get a PATH station there under a governor fulop (he was the frontrunner at the time)

http://www.yimbynews.com/category/1075-west-side-avenue

1075 West Side will be called Jersey City West Side Arts

Quote:
Altree’s Jersey City West Side Arts development will be situated in Journal Square and the emerging Mana Contemporary Art District. It will consist of five buildings which include approximately 500 residential rental units, ranging between 450 and 1,300 square feet, along with approximately 50,000 square feet of retail and gallery spaces.

With close proximity to Mana Contemporary, Jersey Square and Lincoln Park, the development will be just 11 minutes from Wall Street and 23 minutes from Penn Station, Altree says.
Updated renderings can be found in this PDF: http://altreedevelopments.com/wp-con...er20182019.pdf
Additional info
http://gridrealestate.biz/property/1...ty-nj-07306-2/

This is also the site of the proposed Marion PATH station. If one was going to be built, the density would have probably been quadrupled.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 12:48 AM

https://therealdeal.com/2019/01/28/a...sells-for-48m/

"A mixed-use development site in Jersey City just traded for $48 million.

The site — the Avenir, located at 1072 and 1075 West Side Avenue — spans 3.35 aces and has 659,000 buildable square feet, according to Meridian Investment Sales. Lantree Developments bought the site from Amerestate Holdings."

Welcome to the party, Lantree Developments! We love your investment in this area of the city that greatly needs it. Don't be afraid of rezoning into higher densities, after appropriate discussions with the mayor and councilor. (There might even be a Marion PATH station there, one day.) With the right people on board, the sky is the limit.

Last edited by C.; Jan 29, 2019 at 1:11 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 11:28 PM

There was actually a neighborhood meeting on a proposal to upzone the site and reduce parking requirements in exchange for transportation improvements and prep for a Marion station a few months ago.

Unfortunately the usual selfish, car-obsessed motorhead crowd came out. Don't know if the Councilwoman for Ward B feels inclined to go against them in granting the changes that had been proposed. Fulop is also increasingly anti-development.

Maybe that's why the old developer sold, who knows?

Last edited by Hamilton; Jan 30, 2019 at 4:45 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations