HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 11:27 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I noticed living in the Inland Empire for a few months now that it’s very easy for cars to get dusty in this type of environment. It hasn’t rained since mid October and there are days when the mountains look hazy in view.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 12:00 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC View Post
Yeah, I remember LA in the 80s and the mountains basically disappeared for the entire summer. Maybe you could barely see an outline of them early in the morning. And when you flew into the LA Basin, it was like going down into a bowl of soup. You could wash your car and a couple days later, run your finger across it and see black on your finger!

Flying into the LA Basin today is absolutely nothing like that, overall. You might notice a little haze here and there, but overall a HUGE improvement!

Same thing here in Denver. I lived here for a couple years in the mid 90s (then went back to CA) and back then, Denver got the inversion layer in winter a lot and the air would turn dark brown. You would walk outside and it was like you had sunglasses on, and the air smelled sort of like bleach (same smell in LA back in the day). Today, the only time we've had horrific air quality was when there are forest fires off to the west.
Sounds like Beijing (mountains clearly visible on clear days, but disappear when smoggy). But the smog in Beijing is worst in the winter, not the summer due to the prevalence of coal burning for heat in northern China. If they ever get around to retrofitting all the old coal burning heating plants to burn natural gas instead, that would have a huge impact on northern China's air quality.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 1:57 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
On an everyday basis, severely bad air quality will take a toll on one's health and longevity.
Oh, absolutely. It can be devastating to one's longterm health. I don't think this will be the case for SF though. Generally, the air quality is very good there. A few days of really bad air won't put most people at risk.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I noticed living in the Inland Empire for a few months now that it’s very easy for cars to get dusty in this type of environment. It hasn’t rained since mid October and there are days when the mountains look hazy in view.
And before that rain in October the last time it rained was probably May. I live closer to the coast and the atmosphere has more of a maritime feel to it than the I.E. On a typical day my car is completely soaked in the morning from the dew and then dries out by 9am. The wet dry cycle every single day makes your car a mess 2-3 days after you wash it.

It's very different from Florida.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
The wet dry cycle every single day makes your car a mess 2-3 days after you wash it.

It's very different from Florida.
No, actually that's exactly like Florida. The high humidity in Florida, whether or not it rains, means that cars left outside are very wet with dew every morning just as you say yours is in CA. I know because I've lived for long periods in both places.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 7:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
No, actually that's exactly like Florida. The high humidity in Florida, whether or not it rains, means that cars left outside are very wet with dew every morning just as you say yours is in CA. I know because I've lived for long periods in both places.
I’ve lived along the southeast coast as well.

I said it’s very different because it is so dry in the IE.

The dust particles the settle out of the atmosphere and onto a car’s surface will cling to the surface until the car is either washed or a rare rainstorm comes along.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 4:36 PM
BANNED

Thanks to that pacific storm that rolled through, the current air quality index in San Francisco in back in the green.

9 - particulates pm2.5
32 - ozone

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 4:50 PM
Environmental Sabotage

With a warmer than average pool of water off the southern CA coast for the last 5 years now the summer dew points have been reaching the low 70s in the San Fernando Valley often making summer days much more humid much more often. Additionally, we've on a few occasions have seen a little rain, which is unheard of. Unfortunately our winters have become much, much dryer with high pressure setting up off the socal coast and being a pretty much permanent fixture nudging most storms to our north. I suppose this is where our new climate is trending... Maybe our summers will start to trend wetter, eventually.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
I’ve lived along the southeast coast as well.

I said it’s very different because it is so dry in the IE.

The dust particles the settle out of the atmosphere and onto a car’s surface will cling to the surface until the car is either washed or a rare rainstorm comes along.
Better than love bugs!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions