HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 2:17 AM

some pics of the revamped downtown vancouver bay store - it's very bright and white and feels upscale instead of dowdy

I haven't beend recently to see if the new street level in-store boutiques are open yet but should be open soon and said to be kate spade and coach - they are also adding a coach section the bay store in richmond centre...

the pics - all by me

main level handbags/accessories

2nd level - white space and shoes

i like how they stripped back the columns in this part

hopefully they tackle other floors of the store - open more windows - its make a huge difference

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
some pics of the revamped downtown vancouver bay store - it's very bright and white and feels upscale instead of dowdy

I haven't beend recently to see if the new street level in-store boutiques are open yet but should be open soon and said to be kate spade and coach - they are also adding a coach section the bay store in richmond centre...

hopefully they tackle other floors of the store - open more windows - its make a huge difference
Very nice.

Do you know if this is a one-off for the downtown Vancouver store, or is it a new image that will be done in other stores across the country?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 3:08 AM

Looks like the renos they did at the Queen Street Bay store in Toronto. I should actually go take some pictures, as the job they are doing at Queen Street is amazing. They have also revamped the mens floor at Queen Street. Lots of new brands. Price points are a tad higher which could be a concern. But overall great renovations.

I heard they want to do renos to all the downtown stores and position them as more upscale.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 3:14 AM

yeah - I believe they are only doing Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver for now and than will look at other cities

I like the direction they are taking - feels like bloomingdales - now they just need to add marc by marc jacobs and marc jacobs

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 3:25 AM
Vancouverite

I remember the Bay in Winnipeg is getting major renos too.

Like they removed three floors of retail. And made the basement into a Zellers.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 3:29 AM

Quote:
yeah - I believe they are only doing Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver for now and than will look at other cities

I like the direction they are taking - feels like bloomingdales - now they just need to add marc by marc jacobs and marc jacobs
I'm not familiar with the downtown Bay stores in other cities, but the Calgary one is pathetic. It needs a major reno like nobodies business!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 12:18 AM

i hear krispy kreme has opened in toronto on bathhurst...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 7:49 AM

nevermind, posted by mistake

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 9:14 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
I'm not familiar with the downtown Bay stores in other cities, but the Calgary one is pathetic. It needs a major reno like nobodies business!
That location has some pretty serious challenges when it comes to doing anything with it, mostly resulting from the fact it is three different buildings built over a span of forty years and the original building is ridiculously over-built due to provisions for the addition of a four floor warehousing facility that was never added. The first expansion extended it to 8th Ave and the second expansion extended it to the east to its present size.

Glenbow

Prior to the 1956 expansion and renovation they had considered demolishing the original store. A new store would have been built where the parkade is now, and a parkade would have been built on the site of the original store. This probably would have been a wise decision...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 10:33 AM

looks like Nestle Toll House Cafes are coming to canada

http://www.nestlecafe.com/FranchiseI...rnational.aspx

Quote:
Canada is projected opening is slated in late 2010.
they serve all nestle products like nesquick, nestle toll house cookies and nescafe

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 9:28 PM

Popular U.S. clothing retailer J. Crew coming to Canada

Wed Nov 17, 1:59 PM

Marc Weisblott
Yahoo! Canada News

The first Canadian location of clothing retailer J. Crew will open in Toronto in 2011, according to a note published in the company's latest catalogue.

Founded as a mail-order company in 1983, which featured casual clothing in fashionable photo spreads, the preppy styles proved enduring enough to spawn physical outlets in 1989.

There are more than 320 J. Crew stores in the United States. The 24th annual editions of the catalogue are also mailed north and the strategy has made J. Crew a popular online shopping destination.

But the lack of a presence in malls relegated J. Crew to cult status in Canada. But similarly successful names that have held back on entering the country have only benefitted from pent-up demand.

Target, the stylish discount retailer whose bullseye logo dates back to 1962, confirmed its first international expansion this fall. An obscure Canadian apparel chain called Target responded by opening more locations with the apparent hopes of being paid a tidy sum to change its name.

Kohl's was reportedly also checking out Canadian real estate this year. The department store, also founded in 1962, would probably face initial confusion with longstanding Canadian bookstore Coles.

Marshalls, an off-price family department chain founded in 1956, has announced plans for six Canadian locations in 2011.

The company believes the marketplace can support between 90 and 100 locations, compared to 800 in the United States. Parent company TJX is already well established in Canada with more than 200 locations of Winners, which would retain its name, a strategy similar to the coexistence of Best Buy with the Canadian chain it bought in 2001, Future Shop.

After all, for retailers taking a belated plunge into Canada, the initial curiosity generates much free publicity through the media.

Victoria's Secret, the lingerie retailer whose catalogue of scantily clad models was deliberately designed to appeal to both sexes, became a familiar name across the continent since its first store opened in 1977.

Yet, the chain lacked a physical presence in Canada prior to opening in the West Edmonton Mall in August. Since then, 10 more Victoria's Secret stores opened in Alberta and Ontario, with plans for at least 35 more.

Juicy Couture, the provocative clothing line best known for its pricey velour tracksuits, also opened in two Toronto malls this year. Crate & Barrel, the half-century-old housewares and furniture chain, opened its third Canadian location last month in Mississauga.

But there are also a few familiar American retail names that have come and gone in Canada. Kmart locations were sold in 1997 to the Hudson's Bay Company, who rebranded them as Zellers. Radio Shack became The Source after a licensing agreement was terminated in 2004.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/yahoocana...ming_to_canada

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 9:41 PM
Community Guy

Expect this trend to continue in the near-term for American retailers are recognizing that our retail growth is stronger and more consistent than down south.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 5:05 AM
Vancouverite

Is J Crew good?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 6:57 AM

i like it - its quite preppy and in recent times gone from like the gap to being more upscale and they are bringing in outside brands and they seem to be the current faves of fashionista bloggers - they've changed so much that they started up a second store called "madewell" which is to keep a cheaper lower end store not to lose any customers...

i've bought some shirts and socks there over the years

think khakis, boat shoes, polos, cashmere sweaters - maybe like a little edgier banana republic...

mistercrew.com

secretforts.blogspot.com

http://www.stylelist.com

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
Is J Crew good?
Michelle Obama seems to think so...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 9:52 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Marshalls, an off-price family department chain founded in 1956, has announced plans for six Canadian locations in 2011.

The company believes the marketplace can support between 90 and 100 locations, compared to 800 in the United States. Parent company TJX is already well established in Canada with more than 200 locations of Winners, which would retain its name, a strategy similar to the coexistence of Best Buy with the Canadian chain it bought in 2001, Future Shop.
Why bother? the stores are *completely* indistinguishable from one another on the interior. Futureshop and Best Buy give the illusion of competition "don't beat the competition, be the competition" while Marshalls will just confuse people.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 9:56 AM

marshalls are actually nicer but they are the same in that you get brand names for less

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 11:37 AM
Inflatable Hippo

The ones I have been to in California and Arizona were quite dingy, but otherwise identical.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 8:44 PM

i like the shoe departments at marshalls - the ones in portland are really nice anyway

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 11:33 PM

I saw the lineup in vancouver on friday night started around 10 pm i guess cause when i went past around 11:15 there must have been 50 people

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada