HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 6:51 PM

Tower Gardens

The building that was known as Tower Gardens was the first of what was supposed to have been three buildings. At the main entrance, the building name was 'Tower Gardens, Building A'. I am not sure what the orientation of the other towers was to be (to have been built to the north or to the west of the first building).

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 7:23 PM
Former Regina Resident

Sorry to be off-topic here, but Milow Worel's photo (previous page) showed a B/A gas station. Now I am pretty sure that B/A owned Royalite. I remember a Royalite on the South-West corner of Parliament and Albert. Anyway, here is a question for the over 60's out there. I recall a game show sponsored by Royalite in the mid or late 60's. I think Gordie Tapp was the host. Anybody remember?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 7:30 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace View Post
Sorry to be off-topic here, but Milow Worel's photo (previous page) showed a B/A gas station. Now I am pretty sure that B/A owned Royalite. I remember a Royalite on the South-West corner of Parliament and Albert. Anyway, here is a question for the over 60's out there. I recall a game show sponsored by Royalite in the mid or late 60's. I think Gordie Tapp was the host. Anybody remember?
I'm not old enough to remember, but I'm finding:

Royalite Windfall, which was hosted by Don Lawson.
RadioWest.ca

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Country Hoedown?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'm not old enough to remember, but I'm finding:

Royalite Windfall, which was hosted by Don Lawson.
RadioWest.ca
Yes, it was Windfall. The lady next door to us won a fur coat on the show (which was from Vancouver).

B/A had a station at Albert & 15th where the Petro Canada is now. They had a huge neon sign that was so cool.

Anyone remember the Pacific 66 gas stations? There was one to the north of the Vagabond (now Travelodge). How about White Rose? The Shell station on Albert & Gordon was originally a White Rose. And of course, there was Texaco.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Yes, it was Windfall. The lady next door to us won a fur coat on the show (which was from Vancouver).

B/A had a station at Albert & 15th where the Petro Canada is now. They had a huge neon sign that was so cool.

Anyone remember the Pacific 66 gas stations? There was one to the north of the Vagabond (now Travelodge). How about White Rose? The Shell station on Albert & Gordon was originally a White Rose. And of course, there was Texaco.
That Petro-Can would, in effect, be the same station. B/A (and Royalite) were taken over by Gulf, which was taken over by Petro-Can.

Gulf, by the way, is making a comeback in Canada. XTR has licensed the brand and is offering it to independent stations whose deals with other brands are expiring.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 3:34 PM
Former Regina Resident

Right, Windfall it was, and the name Don Lawson rings true. Maybe Gordie Tapp was doing ads for Lotto 649 in the middle of it. I remember White Rose and Pacific 66, too. Didn't the latter give little orange balls to stick on your radio antenna. Speaking of which, when was the last time you saw a radio antenna on a car?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Right, Windfall it was, and the name Don Lawson rings true. Maybe Gordie Tapp was doing ads for Lotto 649 in the middle of it. I remember White Rose and Pacific 66, too. Didn't the latter give little orange balls to stick on your radio antenna. Speaking of which, when was the last time you saw a radio antenna on a car?
Wasn't Gulf the orange balls?

Trucks still have antennas but they tend to hide them in cars now.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:
I am pretty sure that the gas station on the SW corner of Parliament and Albert was always an Esso. You are probably thinking of the southwest corner of 25th and Albert. That was originally a B/A and then became Gulf and finally Petro-Canada. It is now a restaurant.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I am pretty sure that the gas station on the SW corner of Parliament and Albert was always an Esso. You are probably thinking of the southwest corner of 25th and Albert. That was originally a B/A and then became Gulf and finally Petro-Canada. It is now a restaurant.
Royalite was on the south-east corner of Albert & Parliament. Behind Royalite was the Bell City Motel, which was torn down and rebuilt and became, among other names, the current Executive Royal hotel.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 12:03 AM
Chilean like a villian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Master Steaks on South Albert (and North Albert - where Last Straw is) was fantastic. Burgers were great & the fries were dynamite.
I loved Master Steaks with their sesame seeded burgers and shredded lettuce. Me and my bro would go to the south one often. It was just south of BK where TCBY & Dominos is now.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
All of this went right over my head until you hit Texaco. I do remember filling up at the Texaco in the Whitmore Park shopping center, in front of Tumblers. Between the Safeway, the TD Bank and the Texaco, that was a happening little mall in the 70's.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:26 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Sam the Record Man

On the Scarth Street Mall, which building was Sam the Record Man in? I want to say it's the building that the Book End now occupies (1859 Scarth), but it might have been the building to the right or south of that (1861 Scarth).

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 8:08 PM
Former Regina Resident

On the Vintage Regina Instagram site there is a posting of a picture of the family that owned it. Pretty sure they would know!

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post
On the Scarth Street Mall, which building was Sam the Record Man in? I want to say it's the building that the Book End now occupies (1859 Scarth), but it might have been the building to the right or south of that (1861 Scarth).
See 1:04 of this video
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...d=139114992285

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
In other words, 1855 Scarth.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 2:03 PM
arf

^Thank you.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 6:05 AM

Tower Gardens fire

Does anyone recall a major fire in Tower Gardens around the late sixties/early seventies? Memory is fuzzy but I was a newspaper delivery boy whose route included the building. Not a smart thing to do but as the elevator still stopped on the floor I was able to walk around the abandoned floor that was severely damaged. Creepy.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yqrsk View Post
Does anyone recall a major fire in Tower Gardens around the late sixties/early seventies? Memory is fuzzy but I was a newspaper delivery boy whose route included the building. Not a smart thing to do but as the elevator still stopped on the floor I was able to walk around the abandoned floor that was severely damaged. Creepy.
from Facebook- If you grew up in Regina... Page:

I lived there in the 1960's & 70's. There was a fire on the top floor, (around 1972, not sure of the year). I went to work, straight from my friends. Got home at 8 in the morning. I lived on the main floor, east side. The window in the middle. Worked until noon getting the water out. It was coming down the stairs into the Senior Ladies apartment on the north side, then into my room. Boy was I tired. Someone told me that the ladder truck had trouble reaching the top floor.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 8:20 PM

Fight brewing between new homeowners ad Heritage Regina over the Cook Residence on the corner of Albert & Hill Avenue. Owners bought in November and applied in same month to demolish.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...971398?cmp=rss

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan