HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 4:30 AM
Landmark Restored

Never Built - MSG Redevelopment (Richard Meier)

In the late 1980's Olympia and York held a competition for a redevelopment of MSG, a new MSG was to be built on the far West Side designed by Cesar Pelli. Helmut Jahn, Richard Meier, and a team of David Child's and Frank Gehry participated in the design competition. David Child's and Frank Gehry won the competition, their entry consisted of two tall towers, suprisingly Gehry's tower was rather conventional, Child's was spectacular, imagine an original G.E. Building (the one on Lexington Avenue) made into a super tall and for the 21st century. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of that entry, I do however have images of Meier's. Meier's is fussy and busy and has more than a few brutalist overtones but I absolutely love it, I love the giant curves interrupted by rectangular geometries and I like how the curving side ends with a giant rectangular bookend with the recess at the top dramatic and oversized. Olympia and York went bankrupt and now twenty something years later grand plans are being made for redeveloping MSG again.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 6:07 PM
Always out of place...

I like them, they're quite different, unorthodox maybe. Chicago's already gorgeous skyline would look even nicer with these (plus a bunch of other designs I have seen in the "never built" section of the Chicago diagrams)...they look like they'd be right at home in Frankfurt or La Defense or among what's going up in Moscow.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 4:12 PM
Basket Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkiehl101 View Post
I like them, they're quite different, unorthodox maybe. Chicago's already gorgeous skyline would look even nicer with these (plus a bunch of other designs I have seen in the "never built" section of the Chicago diagrams)...they look like they'd be right at home in Frankfurt or La Defense or among what's going up in Moscow.
Chicago? THis is talking about Madison Square Garden's location in New York. You can see the Farley Post Office in the first picture.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 4:20 PM
Always out of place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimumPx View Post
Chicago? THis is talking about Madison Square Garden's location in New York. You can see the Farley Post Office in the first picture.
You're right, my bad. My mind was on Chicago for some odd reason. I guess it somehow made its way into my comment.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 8:15 PM
video et taceo

that design was ahead of its time.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 8:21 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Looks kinda like that cancelled tower from Cleveland from the early 90's.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects