HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gghtransit View Post
3) Concession Road in Preston + Concession Street in Galt
My favourite is the Concession Road in Preston that meets Coronation Boulevard and has Coronation Public School on it.

Both Concessions need to be renamed, along with Townline Road. The names have lost their meaning with urban sprawl.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 2:48 PM
I am a typical

My street starts off as Copenhagen, heading south across the highway it becomes Hodder, goes around a curve and changes to Cumberland, then splits into two streets, the second called Water, then re-merges and becomes just Water, then Fort William Road intersects with it and the name changes to that, then after another bend, the name changes to Simpson, then Simpson makes a 120° turn and becomes Arthur. That's one stretch of street, in one municipality that used to be only two.

It happens a lot here, drives people insane. We also have streets in multiple pieces but the worst case for that as far as I know is Detroit, where a street can end, and then pick up about two miles away. There is tonnes of that in their suburbs, it's like a grid system but with names. We have a Begin Street that ends several times.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 3:59 PM

Google's prying eyes arrive

Camera snapping region for a resource some call exciting, others call invasive

By Matt Walcoff, THE RECORD, Saturday, May 02, 2009

WATERLOO REGION

The next few weeks might not be the best time to go out and get the newspaper in your underwear. Parking your car outside your mistress's house wouldn't be such a good idea either.

Google's Street View camera car is in town, taking snapshots of our community for all the world to see.

Street View, a feature on the Google Maps application, allows users to see ground-level photographs of streets on a map.

Cars equipped with a 360-degree camera on top have taken tens of millions of pictures of streets, highways and rural lanes in at least 10 countries for Street View. Google is in the middle of a round of picture-taking in 11 Canadian urban regions, including the greater Golden Horseshoe.

The idea is to give map users an opportunity to see what a city really looks like beyond lines and shapes. It can help travellers find parking, meeting spots and public transit, for example.

"People are superexcited for it," said Google spokesperson Tamara Micenr. "People generally find it a really helpful tool, and it's hugely popular around the world."

But not all of Street View's pictures have been helpful -- or flattering.

In England, a Street View car caught a man vomiting on the street and another man exiting a sex shop. Google removed both photos after they received media attention.

Some have denounced Street View as an invasion of privacy. In the village of Broughton, England, angry residents formed a human chain to block the Street View car from taking pictures of their houses.

In 2007, Canada's privacy commissioner, Jennifer Stoddart, expressed concern that Street View may violate privacy legislation. Google is in discussions with Stoddart's office.

Micner noted Street View is set up to automatically blur faces and licence plates, and people can request the removal of images they feel invade their privacy.

"The cameras take still images, and it's not live, and it's not real time," she said. "So it's not like people are going to be filmed in real time (and) showing up on the internet or anything."

The first Street View images, from the U.S., appeared online in 2007. Google also took some pictures in Canada that year.

That first set of pictures from Canada should appear on Google Maps in a couple of weeks, Micner said. Images from the current round of picture-taking, which began in March, are likely to appear later this year.

Street View drivers prefer dry, cloudy days for picture-taking.

The Waterloo Region Record spotted a Street View car on Spring Street in downtown Waterloo yesterday. Other reports of Street View car sightings came in from Erbsville Road, Westmount Road, Columbia Street and King Street.

Other cities in this round of Street View pictures are Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Saskatoon, Vancouver, Winnipeg and Saint John, N.B.

Google has a development office in the University of Waterloo Research and Technology Park.

http://news.therecord.com/News/Canad...article/530583

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 9:10 PM

I spotted the Google Street View car on Ainslie Street in Downtown Cambridge (Galt) today. It was kind of near the GRT Station. It was the same car that smably saw at Columbia @ Phillip. Teal Chevy Cobalt?

I thought that Google was done making the rounds about a month ago and looking to launch Street View in Canada within the next few months?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 6:47 PM

It's about time! I'd be surprised though, if they had enough of the region to include Wellesley, but maybe soon after.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 9:25 PM

Looks like some more good news for Google Maps. They've added real-time traffic data for Waterloo Region. It's actually pretty comprehensive, seems to cover most roads that are regional and everything MTO.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylortbb View Post
Looks like some more good news for Google Maps. They've added real-time traffic data for Waterloo Region. It's actually pretty comprehensive, seems to cover most roads that are regional and everything MTO.
Really? I'm looking at it now and the real-time data doesn't work at all, and the predicted traffic can't possibly be right (Hwy 8 is yellow/green at 5 pm on a weekday?)

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timc View Post
Really? I'm looking at it now and the real-time data doesn't work at all, and the predicted traffic can't possibly be right (Hwy 8 is yellow/green at 5 pm on a weekday?)
You certain? It was showing red on all the freeways when I posted that, which was shortly after 5pm. Your post time was 11:07pm EDT, are you in a different timezone? 5pm and right now don't work together.

Either way apparently much (all?) of the data is crowdsourced from people running Google Maps on their phone. Either from people with Google Maps open, or those like myself who run it in the background for Google Latitude.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylortbb View Post
You certain? It was showing red on all the freeways when I posted that, which was shortly after 5pm. Your post time was 11:07pm EDT, are you in a different timezone? 5pm and right now don't work together.

Either way apparently much (all?) of the data is crowdsourced from people running Google Maps on their phone. Either from people with Google Maps open, or those like myself who run it in the background for Google Latitude.
No, I was talking about two different things. The real-time didn't seem right, but there is another option for predicted traffic, so I punched in 5 pm on a Tuesday to see what it would predict. There is a bit more real-time information now, but I guess it might be better to look on a weekday.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 1:50 AM

Sorry, I missed the predicted part of your post.

I'm betting they need more data before they have accurate predictions. I mean they probably have been collecting for a while, but now that it's live it will probably make a difference.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 1:55 PM

STREET VIEW IS UP IN KW!!

Looks like it caught me just before I took this picture.

Seems like it's just KW so far -- Cambridge and Guelph don't seem to be covered. Oh well.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 3:12 PM

wicked...hey, does anybody know who lives in this palace on Kraft Drive? I've always wondered that.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...26157&t=h&z=16

Last edited by myfaceisonfire; Oct 7, 2009 at 3:13 PM. Reason: wrong linke

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfaceisonfire View Post
wicked...hey, does anybody know who lives in this palace on Kraft Drive? I've always wondered that.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...26157&t=h&z=16
That is the home of the late Klaus Woerner – founder of Automation Tooling Systems (ATS). The property recently went up for sale following his death.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 5:10 PM

Was the founder of ATS from my knowledge, Claus Werner, though I may be off on the spelling. He passed a year or so ago. Previous to that the spot where the house is was great for bush parties.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 11:32 PM

They caught me on the corner of regina and princess unlocking my bike. It was starting to rain, (you can see the water on the lens) i didn't think they'd use the footage.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 12:40 AM

I just did an interview for CTV about seeing (and photographing) the Street View car. Apparently it will be shown at 11:30 tonight. How about that!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 1:52 AM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkalunk View Post
They caught me on the corner of regina and princess unlocking my bike. It was starting to rain, (you can see the water on the lens) i didn't think they'd use the footage.
Found ya!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 3:53 PM

The Region has posted their new 2009 10-cm orthoimagery to the Waterloo Region Locator. The image was taken some time in April.

http://maps.region.waterloo.on.ca/locator/locator.htm

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 3:30 AM
I am a typical

Google Maps has updated its map data, which shows arterials in Waterloo properly and the outlines of major buildings, as well as properly aligning streets in new subdivisions. (Not sure if that was a problem there but it was common up here).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario