HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 4:07 PM

Cool urban walking trails - Katy Trail

Hey all. I was in Dallas and spent a lot of time walking on the Katy Trail and around White Rock Lake Trail etc. It seemed the city really had lots of good safe walking/biking areas.

I want to know what the "Katy Trail" equivalent is in other metro areas.

I think Atlanta has The Beltline and Austin has The Boardwalk... What about other places like Houston? Nashville? etc.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 10:08 PM
Burming Hammer

Birmingham - Red Rock Trail System

http://www.freshwaterlandtrust.org/a...-trail-system/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 1:30 PM
Oak City

Durham has American Tobacco Trail: http://www.triangletrails.org/american-tobacco-trail

Raleigh has a large greenway system, the longest trail the 33 mile long Neuse River trail: https://www.raleighnc.gov/parks/cont...iverTrail.html

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
You obviously have not been to the Katy Trail in Dallas or the others I mentioned. This is just a map of random places to walk whether it's a sidewalk, or skinny trail through the woods with no connectivity. None of these have the same vibe. The closest I've seen in Bham is the trail along Lakeshore but at 2.5 miles, that's not a connected trail system and is vastly different from what I'm talking about. This is not something Birmingham has which is why I didn't mention them in my OP.

Looking really for the "Katy Trail" equivalent in Houston and Nashville.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 2:46 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofalltrades View Post
You obviously have not been to the Katy Trail in Dallas or the others I mentioned. This is just a map of random places to walk whether it's a sidewalk, or skinny trail through the woods with no connectivity. None of these have the same vibe. The closest I've seen in Bham is the trail along Lakeshore but at 2.5 miles, that's not a connected trail system and is vastly different from what I'm talking about. This is not something Birmingham has which is why I didn't mention them in my OP.

You really need to chill.

I think he posted a map of the whole system because there are a few examples that are similar. The High Ore Line in west Birmingham is probably the most similar, the Dorothy Spears Greenway is pretty similar, the Vulcan Trail is similar, there's a roughly 1.5 mile long trail through the middle of downtown that includes Railroad Park and the Rotary Trail.

Taking a look at the Katy Trail it seems very unique, I doubt you'll find anything like it in the Southeast. The city's most likely to have something like it are probably railroad towns like Birmingham and Atlanta. To my knowledge, Atlanta doesn't have a trail that seems to follow a former railroad bed.

If Birmingham is too covered in your crap for you to consider, then you probably should be looking at other towns that didn't develop around water (like Houston and Nashville), Charlotte, Raleigh, and Fort Worth might be your best bets to find something similar. Atlanta's Beltline seems a bit too artificial to be an analogue for the Katy Trail and doesn't follow the same pattern. But, then again, there may be a greenway that goes through the urban core that I just don't know about.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
You really need to chill.

I think he posted a map of the whole system because there are a few examples that are similar. The High Ore Line in west Birmingham is probably the most similar, the Dorothy Spears Greenway is pretty similar, the Vulcan Trail is similar, there's a roughly 1.5 mile long trail through the middle of downtown that includes Railroad Park and the Rotary Trail.

Taking a look at the Katy Trail it seems very unique, I doubt you'll find anything like it in the Southeast. The city's most likely to have something like it are probably railroad towns like Birmingham and Atlanta. To my knowledge, Atlanta doesn't have a trail that seems to follow a former railroad bed.

If Birmingham is too covered in your crap for you to consider, then you probably should be looking at other towns that didn't develop around water (like Houston and Nashville), Charlotte, Raleigh, and Fort Worth might be your best bets to find something similar. Atlanta's Beltline seems a bit too artificial to be an analogue for the Katy Trail and doesn't follow the same pattern. But, then again, there may be a greenway that goes through the urban core that I just don't know about.

Thank you for this fine expose addressing something you know nothing about and about a city that I did not ask about for a reason. I'm from there and I can tell you, there's nothing like it in Birmingham which is why I specifically did not include it in my question.

I'm looking for something, not in West freaking Birmingham that has a strong social construct to it. Somewhere that women and children are safe to walk/run/bike and somewhere that's very walkable to apts or parts of town where people want to be..

I found out about Buffalo Bayou in Houston and I think The Beltline in ATL is a good example although I have not seen it yet!

I want to know if Nashville has anything similar. I was hoping to get a response from someone not paid by Birmingham to be on here to answer questions unrelated to their city.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 4:36 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Thank you for this fine expose addressing something you know nothing about and about a city that I did not ask about for a reason. I'm from there and I can tell you, there's nothing like it in Birmingham which is why I specifically did not include it in my question.

I'm looking for something, not in West freaking Birmingham that has a strong social construct to it. Somewhere that women and children are safe to walk/run/bike and somewhere that's very walkable to apts or parts of town where people want to be..

I found out about Buffalo Bayou in Houston and I think The Beltline in ATL is a good example although I have not seen it yet!

I want to know if Nashville has anything similar. I was hoping to get a response from someone not paid by Birmingham to be on here to answer questions unrelated to their city.
There is clearly something wrong with you...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 4:39 PM

Quote:

You asked a very vague question about southern metros with walking trails and got responses listing walking trails in southern metros. Jumping on someone for answering your questions is not the way to get your questions answered. If it wasn't what you were looking for wait for another response.

I don't see what really differentiates the Katy Trail from most walking trails. It's in a more urban context? If that is what you are looking for I would research any rails to trails projects. Nashville has the Cumberland River trail that follows the river through downtown with some branches into neighborhoods, Houston has the Bayou trail system.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 6:35 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
then that's exactly how you should've asked your original question...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 6:51 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Columbus and Phenix City have a pair of nice riverwalks on either side of the Chattahoochee, linked together in eachother's downtowns by a nice pedestrian bridge.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
then that's exactly how you should've asked your original question...
That is exactly what I asked. I intentionally didn't ask about Birmingham...

"I want to know what the "Katy Trail" equivalent is in other metro areas.

I think Atlanta has The Beltline and Austin has The Boardwalk... What about other places like Houston? Nashville? etc."

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 8:28 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
I want to know what the "Katy Trail" equivalent is in other metro areas.

What about other places like Houston? Nashville? etc.
if you didn't want a response about Birmingham, you should have said so.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallty View Post
You asked a very vague question about southern metros with walking trails and got responses listing walking trails in southern metros. Jumping on someone for answering your questions is not the way to get your questions answered. If it wasn't what you were looking for wait for another response.

I don't see what really differentiates the Katy Trail from most walking trails. It's in a more urban context? If that is what you are looking for I would research any rails to trails projects. Nashville has the Cumberland River trail that follows the river through downtown with some branches into neighborhoods, Houston has the Bayou trail system.
Well it's not vague if you know what the Katy Trail is or have ever been on it.

Sensitive crowd around here wow.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 8:31 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
That is exactly what I asked. I intentionally didn't ask about Birmingham...

"I want to know what the "Katy Trail" equivalent is in other metro areas.

I think Atlanta has The Beltline and Austin has The Boardwalk... What about other places like Houston? Nashville? etc."
No. When you said "Houston? Nashville? etc." that included every other metro area in the South, which, ta da! includes Birmingham.

Just move on and allow there to be a conversation. You may have started this thread, but you can't get angry when someone mentions something you hadn't intended.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 8:33 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Well it's not vague if you know what the Katy Trail is or have ever been on it.

Sensitive crowd around here wow.
You're the one that got angry over nothing in the first place!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
You're the one that got angry over nothing in the first place!
Sorry, you're right. I didn't know the "etc" would be so contentious. I live in Birmingham so I don't care about sidewalks and random scary trails through the woods or Oak Mountain/Red Mountain.

I'm looking for places where urban trails are cool lots of people go to walk/run/bike. Birmingham doesn't have anything to this caliber. If it does, it's a very short track around Railroad Park or Lakeshore, neither of which are in the same category as what I'm talking about.

Why are all responses to this Birmingham people? Is no one on here from Nashville, Atlanta, heck maybe even Charlotte or somewhere else with a really cool and social walk/ride trail that's not in the middle of nowhere?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
if you didn't want a response about Birmingham, you should have said so.
I thought it was pretty well understood that Birmingham would not be in the conversation since it has nothing remotely close related to what I'm talking about. It would been like me asking "which Southeastern city has the coolest skyscraper?" Surely no one would start talking about Regions tower?

My fault.. Note accepted: don't mess with a Birmingham booster.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 1:39 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Thank you, jackofalltrades, for being understanding.

Birmingham is building its trails joint by joint, so it's hard for it to present something similar to the Katy Trail. The city has a WAY to go in connecting all of the existing run/bike paths... and I'm excited to see how it all progresses!

As far as why there is an absence of forumers outside of Alabama, that's just kind of how it is. There are a couple of forumers from the Carolinas, but the only come around every now and again. The same goes for Tennessee forumers.

The Southeast Sub-forum is dominated by Alabamians, so don't expect frequent input from folks in Tennessee, Georgia, the Carolinas, or ESPECIALLY Florida. And there's no one from Mississippi and Louisiana that stops by, either.

The Southeast sub-forum is pretty well dominated by Alabamians from Huntsville, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Montgomery, and Mobile It's rare that forumers from elsewhere make consistent posts. Dunno why, it's just the way it is.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 7:09 PM

The beltline would definetly be the closest thing to the Katy Trail. The Beltline is near transit in areas and it connects (or will connect) to Piedmont Park, Krog Street Market, Ponce City Market, and a bunch of other cool places. Also, they plan on putting LRT with its own ROW on the Beltline.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
The beltline would definetly be the closest thing to the Katy Trail. The Beltline is near transit in areas and it connects (or will connect) to Piedmont Park, Krog Street Market, Ponce City Market, and a bunch of other cool places. Also, they plan on putting LRT with its own ROW on the Beltline.
Good information and thank you. I'll have to check out the beltline. I was in Nashville last weekend and they don't have anything that I could find close to Katy Trail. I think the Gulch is trying to put something together but it's very short and not a popular place to go it didn't look like.

I just thought it was so cool having a social place to walk/ride. It really makes a city feel more connected and a great meetup spot for friends to go to a concert, a park, a restaurant or even shopping. We rode rental bikes and never got in a car! It was very nice.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast