HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 1:41 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 2:36 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I'll post this article, but please, no fighting...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/29/us/29cnctall.html
City’s Skyscraper Title Is Going, Going ...

Visitor on the 103rd floor of Willis Tower, destined to lose its tallest-American-building title.

By DANIEL LIBIT
October 28, 2010
meh, it was bound to happen - I'm just happy that it's in NYC - and from the construction photos that have been posted so far, I think the new 1WTC is going to be truly outstanding

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 3:38 AM
I'm going slightly mad.

I would agree with the sentiment that Worlds Tallest Building doesn't mean much anymore. And to be honest, I'd much rather see a building of beautiful form than one that's tall just for the sake of tall. Chicago will always be my favorite city, and when One World Trade passes the beloved Sears tower then I'll drink a toast to NY and say congratulations.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 4:39 AM

^^^ cheers to that

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 4:51 AM

Well it's returning the title of tallest to New York after 40 years, we are revisiting the past. That is something to celebrate. Although I'm sure 1WTC won't keep the title of America’s tallest for as long as Sears/Willis has.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 2:21 PM
New Yorker for life

The Empire State held the world's tallest title for forty years, and nearly forty years after it lost it, the building still recalls a certain glory
worldwide. The Freedom Tower will have it's glory for different reasons, but will be just as iconic and beloved on the skyline.

dandeluca

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 1:40 AM

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 30, 2010 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Back On: PPG to Supply STARPHIRE Glass to One World Trade Center; Fabrication Will Still Take Place in China

October 29, 2010

After spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to develop glass to be used for One World Trade Center, PPG was told in early 2009 that the contract for that project was instead going to a Chinese glass company (CLICK HERE for the full investigative report, from USGlass in March 2009, ). But today, PPG Industries announced that it has received an order to supply STARPHIRE® ultra-clear, low-iron glass for One World Trade Center in New York. The glass will be used for the podium wall system on Tower One, which is currently under construction at the new World Trade Center complex in lower Manhattan.

Gary Danowski, PPG vice president, performance glazings, talked exclusively to USGlass magazine following the announcement regarding how PPG was ultimately awarded the project more than a year and a half following that decision.

“A few months ago we started to become re-engaged with some meetings with the Port Authority, and Tishman Construction,” he says. “For whatever reason we got reengaged and I’m not sure what the reason was. We showed them some initial samples of Starphire and got pulled into more and more discussions regarding potentially fitting into the supply chain.”

But Danowski says that even after that initial meeting he didn’t think PPG would be awarded the project.

“To be honest I didn’t think it was going to go anywhere,” says Danowksi. “We thought it was too late: glass samples were being made, structural steel was moving. Albeit the meeting was interesting and there were some discussion points but to be honest with you I’m surprised that we are where we are today—though I’m happy about it.”

As to why the original Chinese glass supplier is no longer involved, Danowski says they are not privy to that information.

“The reality is we are not privy to whoever was making that decision—the factual reason. We have our own theories,” he says.

Danowski points out that the only thing that has changed with the project is that PPG is now supplying the glass; it will still be fabricated in China.

“We are supplying the glass to Sanxin who will fabricate the glass then it will come back to the United States to be installed in the project,” he says. “We would have preferred to work through a shorter supply chain and recommended some alternatives. Ultimately, though, this wasn’t our decision.”

Steve Coleman with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey told USGNN today that “the original supplier (with good quality product) in China fell through.”

“They didn’t want the job,” says Coleman. “The broker tried another supplier in China and that product did not meet the color requirements. Now we are purchasing from PPG and shipping the glass to China for fabrication. The machine used to fabricate is already built in China.”

Danowski reports that PPG signed a letter of intent three to four weeks ago, and the purchase order was finalized a week ago.

“Next week we will start making the product in Carlisle and will start shipping immediately and into the next six to nine months as Sanxin fabricates the glass,” he says.

Starphire ultra-clear glass uses a proprietary low-iron formulation that the company says makes it the industry’s clearest, most transparent architectural glass. PPG will supply the product in thicknesses of 10, 12 and 25 millimeters from its glass manufacturing plant near Carlisle, Pa.

DCM and Zetian did not respond to usgnn’s request for comment, while Tishman Construction officials declined to comment. Stay tuned to USGNN.com for further updates as they become available.
http://www.usgnn.com/newsStarphire220101029.htm

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post

there you go....now quiet! jk lolz
Does this camera shift position frequently?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
Does this camera shift position frequently?
nah i juss got it from a different site xP

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 4:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Some helpful links:

If you want to discuss your preference for the new WTC, its here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=166333

If you want to revisit the Twin Towers, its here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=184976

And here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=115522

The future of possible new tallest in New York? It's here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=177742

Anything concerning the name (of all things) ...also here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=167071

The WTC Memorial...here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=158432

We aim to please, now everyone's happy....
Seems I have to keep bringing this up.

Quote:
Danowski points out that the only thing that has changed with the project is that PPG is now supplying the glass; it will still be fabricated in China.

“We are supplying the glass to Sanxin who will fabricate the glass then it will come back to the United States to be installed in the project,” he says. “We would have preferred to work through a shorter supply chain and recommended some alternatives. Ultimately, though, this wasn’t our decision.”

Steve Coleman with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey told USGNN today that “the original supplier (with good quality product) in China fell through.”

“They didn’t want the job,” says Coleman. “The broker tried another supplier in China and that product did not meet the color requirements. Now we are purchasing from PPG and shipping the glass to China for fabrication. The machine used to fabricate is already built in China.”

Danowski reports that PPG signed a letter of intent three to four weeks ago, and the purchase order was finalized a week ago.

“Next week we will start making the product in Carlisle and will start shipping immediately and into the next six to nine months as Sanxin fabricates the glass,” he says.
This will be some well traveled glass.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 12:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 12:37 PM

wow... Imre is in New York now!?! he was in Toronto a couple weeks ago.

otherwise, great photos!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 3:34 PM
Editor

Great it has now overtaken Veriszon building!

Webcam update:

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 5:04 PM
World Machine

Awesome, new steel.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 5:56 PM

Now all were missing is some cladding.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 7:17 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokoon11 View Post
Now all were missing is some cladding.
Correct. I suppose that will begin next week or so. I hope it!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 5:19 AM
Ex Houstonian

Imre must have gotten bored with Dubai now that the Burj is pretty much done.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 5:43 AM

The port has to clean their live camera (accumulated gunk).
BTW- The white coloring on the steel, are those markers? Or or they going to hold the windows in place? They somehow look out of place, randomly placed everywhere. I would assume the white marks should be positioned equidistant from each other.

Also, will the future restaurant be known as Windows of the World? Are there any renderings of how the Indoor Observation Deck will look like?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 5:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by winlinmac001 View Post
Also, will the future restaurant be known as Windows of the World? Are there any renderings of how the Indoor Observation Deck will look like?
The restaurant will now be one level instead of two, leaving two levels for the observation deck. Prior to that, there was one rendering, but it was too small to make anything of it.

imredubai

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive