HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Where do you find these studies? I'd like to read them.
Work on the project - either on the retailer or corporate realtor side.

Sometimes we'll share them with city reps and you might be able to obtain one via a foia request if you know the specific project.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 8:41 PM
-

Some new pics of the Superdome Renovation and Champions Square are on the website that were taken July1st.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 12:18 AM

Champions Square

The link is up for pictures from July 1 of the progress at Champions Square. Looks like the staircase is halfway done, the trees are planted, and some of the paving brick is in place. I like the selection of colors for the pavers. Hopefully the white and tan bricks will keep things cooler than the asphalt.

http://www.superdome.com/uploads/Cha...June302011.pdf

Does anyone else think the rest of the Superdome base and concrete parking garages, needs a good pressure-washing before the Superbowl?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 12:31 AM

Here's a more up-to-date picture taken from a different angle:

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 2:30 AM
-

Some questions I have that people may be able to answer:

1. What are they doing with the back bottom side of Benson Tower in Champions Square?

2. Will there be an entrance onto the square from the Hyatt?

3. I had heard that all the food vendors are being relocated to the inside part of the building? Is that still the plan?

4. Is there any plan to add signage to the top of Benson Tower actually spelling out the name of the building like Dominion had before?

Thanks for any insight guys!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 1:50 PM

Lakefront Airport

This is going to be crazy awesome:

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...dmarks_sa.html

"Lakefront Airport landmark's sad story gets happy ending:

The way some preservationists saw it, the Lakefront Airport terminal building, one of the finest examples of Depression-era art deco design in New Orleans, should have been put on the critical list in the mid-1960s after Cold War paranoia prompted the state to convert it into a cement-encased fallout shelter.
In 2005, guardians of Louisiana's endangered works of architecture braced for the building's last rites, after lake water swept inland by Hurricane Katrina swamped the structure.

But instead of a wake, a celebration is being planned....."

- Times Picayune

- Times Picayune

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 2:01 PM
-

It really is a city treasure and its the preferred airport for those traveling private!

Also, a friend that works for the city told me there are plans for a nice restaurant to be built on the corner of Tchoupitoulas and Canal. Across from the Pinkberry... If anyone has seen this corner you know how ugly the current building there is. This will be a dramatic improvement for a very prominent corner.

You can sort of see it in the above photo. The old building will be renovated and the ugly one story thing would be torn down! Also, the building furthest on the left is a newly opened cafe that is also restoring the upperfloors for live music venue. So all in all a nice change for this little block!

Last edited by tennis1400; Jul 6, 2011 at 2:20 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 3:07 PM

Building on Canal Street

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...spn=0,0.001647

Noticed this the other day when I walked from Place St Charles to Mr. B's for lunch.

It's the crappy "gift center" building on the left (river side) of The Children's Place store.

They seem to be doing a full blown renovation, but I haven't heard of or seen anything.

One less crappy gift store would be great though!

Sigh, the link thing is giving me trouble. Just copy and paste it into a browser then streetview it and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Last edited by IceCream; Jul 6, 2011 at 3:10 PM. Reason: link issues

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Some questions I have that people may be able to answer:

1. What are they doing with the back bottom side of Benson Tower in Champions Square?

2. Will there be an entrance onto the square from the Hyatt?

3. I had heard that all the food vendors are being relocated to the inside part of the building? Is that still the plan?

4. Is there any plan to add signage to the top of Benson Tower actually spelling out the name of the building like Dominion had before?

Thanks for any insight guys!

I can be a little help just from past readings of LSED meeting minutes.

1. Supposedly, they are just changing the facade, I believe adding more windows for those in the office building to look out.

2. Not sure, I hope so.

3. They are moving all of the food service into the bottom level of the old food court area of the mall. The Superdome is actually studying the feasibility of taking over the food operations and leaving them open year round, but there are obviously doubts on how successful this would be.

4. Not sure about the signage, I like it without it actually.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
I can be a little help just from past readings of LSED meeting minutes.

1. Supposedly, they are just changing the facade, I believe adding more windows for those in the office building to look out.

2. Not sure, I hope so.

3. They are moving all of the food service into the bottom level of the old food court area of the mall. The Superdome is actually studying the feasibility of taking over the food operations and leaving them open year round, but there are obviously doubts on how successful this would be.

4. Not sure about the signage, I like it without it actually.
The Benson Tower currently just has a fabric banner announcing its name, it looks kind of tacky. Doubt that they're just going to take it down.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 4:52 PM

I know I don't post here that frequently, but I was just thinking about how great it would be to have light rail to the airport, esp. Now that there is a streetcar tie-in. I think it would work to have the loyola line run down canal to the river and back so that people could get to their hotels and/or transferred. Does anybody know if a light rail to the airport has been seriously discussed?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 6:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
I know I don't post here that frequently, but I was just thinking about how great it would be to have light rail to the airport, esp. Now that there is a streetcar tie-in. I think it would work to have the loyola line run down canal to the river and back so that people could get to their hotels and/or transferred. Does anybody know if a light rail to the airport has been seriously discussed?
Its always mentioned but nothing is serious yet. One good thing is that the rights of way needed are already there so when/if theres a serious proposal it should be done relatively quick~

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 6:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
The Benson Tower currently just has a fabric banner announcing its name, it looks kind of tacky. Doubt that they're just going to take it down.
Thats why I was hoping they could put up permanent signage. Looks cheap the way it is~!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 7:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...spn=0,0.001647

Noticed this the other day when I walked from Place St Charles to Mr. B's for lunch.

It's the crappy "gift center" building on the left (river side) of The Children's Place store.

They seem to be doing a full blown renovation, but I haven't heard of or seen anything.

One less crappy gift store would be great though!

Sigh, the link thing is giving me trouble. Just copy and paste it into a browser then streetview it and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Friend at City Hall says 710 Canal is getting repairs and paint but obviously the owners hope is to get increased rent as well.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 7:35 PM

The backside of Benson Tower looks perfect for a multiple story sports bar. Walk Ons and Rouses sure seem to be crawling along.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
The backside of Benson Tower looks perfect for a multiple story sports bar. Walk Ons and Rouses sure seem to be crawling along.
I noticed the same thing. Both Walk Ons and Rouses do not seem to be in any rush to open

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 7:46 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
I noticed the same thing. Both Walk Ons and Rouses do not seem to be in any rush to open
I know!!! I think it has to do with the realization that theres a very good chance that there wont be a Football Season. Not to mention that Rouses looks like its originally scheduled opening may have been optimistic!

Ive asked my friend at the City about the slow movement on the Walk Ons/Happys Irish Pub... all I know is their department rejected the original giant sign they wanted to put up that was to feature "A Bartender in Her Outfit"... and now they are trying to had balconies all the way around the building!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
Don't have the article anymore but last year sometime there was an article saying that the Benson's had considered building a residential tower on the backside of the highrise. Haven't heard anything else about it. Would possibly be viable with the opening of the streetcar, market district, rouses, etc.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 11:41 PM
-

Got a sneak peak at the newest rendering for 1031 canal .... Think you guys will really like it . Very similar to the second one in some way but much better finishings and ornamentation!

Also, the residential tower for champions square is planned to go on top the former Macys.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jul 7, 2011 at 3:07 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Don't have the article anymore but last year sometime there was an article saying that the Benson's had considered building a residential tower on the backside of the highrise. Haven't heard anything else about it. Would possibly be viable with the opening of the streetcar, market district, rouses, etc.
Tthe residential tower would be above the old Macy's, where Club XLIV and the new food court is going, according to this year-old article from Nola.com:

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ector_and.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations