HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 2:31 PM
Martian

Smile NEW YORK | Pennsylvania Station Original Building | 1910-1962

I thought I would create this thread as a tribute to the original NYC Pennsylvania Station Building brutally demolished in 1963. I think this paragraph from Wikipedia nicely summarizes that horrible act:

The demolition of the original structure — although considered by some to be justified as progressive at a time of declining rail passenger service — created international outrage. As dismantling of the grand old structure began, The New York Times editorially lamented:

"Until the first blow fell, no one was convinced that Penn Station really would be demolished, or that New York would permit this monumental act of vandalism against one of the largest and finest landmarks of its age of Roman elegance."

Its destruction left a deep and lasting wound in the architectural consciousness of the city. A famous photograph of a smashed caryatid in the landfill of the New Jersey Meadowlands struck a guilty chord. Pennsylvania Station's demolition is considered to have been the catalyst for the enactment of the city's first architectural preservation statutes.

source: Wikipedia

Please feel free to post images of the original building, facts, opinions and anything that pertains to this topic.

IMO the building should be commemorated in some way and I think the best way would be to construct an exact replica of it, either in NY or in a different city at some point in the future when demand for rail has increased to the point where a new large station is needed... - this of course will absolutely never happen, but it's good to have dreams On the bright side, maybe in a parallel Universe the original Penn Station was never destroyed

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture