HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 5:28 AM

UDP - Approved with recommendations

As per my post in the General Vancouver section, here's some info from the UDP meeting.

So, there's been some big changes as one can see. The plaza has had a bit of a retool. In terms of catering to the general public, there will be a public gallery and bike co-op on Dunsmir . The three pieces of existing public art will also be retained. Also, the Georgia plaza has been retooled. Meanwhile, the office building has been sculpted to respond better to the plaza, and to allow more daylight into the courtyard and other terraces. With the office set back, the courtyard has been significantly widened, and around 110 thousand square feet have been lost from the site. Also of interest is that the residential playground has been reoriented, and there are skylights in the courtyard pool to allow for lower floor lighting. However, the above ground parking is being designed to be potentially removed one day; Apparently the loop ramp makes that task rather easy. There will be dynamic glass installed on the southeast corner to help with solar gain, but the morning sun is being used to help heat the building.

The project passed the UDP this time, but there were recommendations. I didn't catch all of of them, but some of follow. There was a desire to have the plazas and office building better reflect the former post office on Georgia. There was a want to better activate Homer Street by bringing the retail forward to it. As well as a continuing desire to split the block up by having a pedestrian / vehicle corridor in the middle of the project. The debate between UDP panel members on this project took more than a few minutes, with some in the crowd expressing that this was one of the longest debates they had seen a panel engage in.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 6:35 AM

its so short. sigh.

otherwise, i like it.

i disagree with the needing a vehicle corridor to break up the block. that's a dumb idea.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 7:00 AM
retro_orange

So much freakin spandrel...

For a major heritage redevelopment, those are some very basic looking tower additions. It's one thing to not take away from the heritage building but they look so mundane and basic, especially the Georgia facade. Looks like it was designed 10-15 years ago too.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 7:02 AM

Awesome, thanks for the update and pics!
(but not necessarily the bulkiness of the project)

I like how the sun shades and the balcony edges create grids that relate to the window grids on the original building.

I wonder if there was any consideration (at the outset of the process), to have the courtyard facing Georgia
(and the office block facing Dunsmuir)?

That would provide sun to the courtyard, and give the offices coveted north facing views.

i.e. If this were the Georgia façade instead of the Dunsmuir façade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
As per my post in the General Vancouver section, here's some info from the UDP meeting.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 2:28 PM

The courtyard and the apartments facing it will be dark in the almost eternal shadow. The massing is just so odd on this one and incredible that it will be shorter than the library tower.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Awesome, thanks for the update and pics!
(but not necessarily the bulkiness of the project)

I like how the sun shades and the balcony edges create grids that relate to the window grids on the original building.

I wonder if there was any consideration (at the outset of the process), to have the courtyard facing Georgia

That would provide sun to the courtyard, and give the offices coveted north facing views.

i.e. If this were the Georgia façade instead of the Dunsmuir façade.
I'm sure it was looked at. The offices would get some nice views down Hamilton Street but it would be about 50% blocked by the BC Hydro building. Plus Georgia is a more sought after address for companies that will lease the space.

It's a shame the office block has to be so bulky. If they could shift it a little bit West at least it would allow for more sun in the courtyard in the morning, but it appears to have been maxed under the view cone.

I've tried so hard to like this proposal, but it strikes me that they've gone with the least risky option from a design and cost perspective throughout the process; beginning with the hiring of MCM.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 4:52 PM

MCM is better at making powerpoint slides than designing a building.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 4:50 AM

Office to traffic Georgia - Residential to bike lane Dusmuir

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

One thing to keep in mind will be the fall out of the removal of the Dunsmuir Viaduct. I've heard several people with the city and in the development sector express that the street will become far more bike orientated. In short Dusmuir is expected to become dramatically more calm.

Also I'm not sure how much of a factor of using the sun to help warm up the office, as an energy saving measure played into the decision as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
MCM is better at making powerpoint slides than designing a building.
One thing I feel, and that the panel members expressed, is just how challenging this site is due to the major constraints placed on it. I really think the firm did all they could. They have what I believe to be solid proposals at Cambie and W 8th and the RBC Tower Addition at Hastings.

Last edited by Feathered Friend; May 12, 2017 at 4:55 AM. Reason: formatting issue

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 8:40 AM

With the Oxford expansion of 401 Georgia fronting Dunsmuir - and a couple of office blocks north of the new VAG (assuming its built) - not to mention the reno of the Post Offices blank walls - Dunsmuir will be a nicer street than it is now.

I think office space could have worked on Dunsmuir (there's lots of office buildings on Dunsmuir farther west)
- it would also be closer to Stadium Station.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 9:01 AM
EdInVan

I like the consistency with all the other ugly things on West Georgia--400 West Georgia, Telus Gardens, Nordstrom building, new Art Gallery, hideous art gallery plaza, etc. It all fits very well.
This will be a great street for architecture students to tour; they'll have so many great examples of how architecture can go so bad.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 12:06 PM
be nice to the crackheads

I think the massing is as good as can be given the situation here. I like what's being applied to the original structure; the office and condo portions compliment each other nicely.
What I don't like are the colours. This is some seriously ugly stuff. If you're dead set on keeping the post office in its original colour scheme then match it up top somehow. Otherwise, re-clad the post office, and give this project a chance to not be the most mismatched-looking building on the peninsula.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 7:34 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I think the massing is as good as can be given the situation here. I like what's being applied to the original structure; the office and condo portions compliment each other nicely.
What I don't like are the colours. This is some seriously ugly stuff. If you're dead set on keeping the post office in its original colour scheme then match it up top somehow. Otherwise, re-clad the post office, and give this project a chance to not be the most mismatched-looking building on the peninsula.
Yeah, there needs to be at least some of that light stonework in some vertical columns to tie it all together. Otherwise it just looks like they're pretending the post office is the ground.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 11:04 PM

Looks like there will be a redesign of the towers on top of the Post office podium. Should see the DP design some time soon I reckon.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 11:23 PM

I like the idea of a redesign. I think there's potential to do a lot better than what was proposed.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
I like the idea of a redesign. I think there's potential to do a lot better than what was proposed.
I think the new design looks way better, although its a lot simpler to match the heritage podium. Wait for the release.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:37 PM

They knew the courtyard would be tricky, but the retention of this building and the parking component have always been a real issue. Costs with this building are heavy.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 8:59 PM

I sometimes wonder if the retail podium should be revisioned as an Amazon fulfilment centre.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 10:29 PM

Yeah, tailor-made for a delivery operation - and they'll have offices across the street.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 6:49 AM

any updates on this project?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 5:20 PM

Would've been nice to see something along the lines of BIG's proposal in Toronto:

Source: https://www.dezeen.com/2016/02/26/bj...oronto-canada/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver