HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 6:51 AM

Arrow Olympic Village & Southeast False Creek Updates Discussion

Southeast False Creek and Olympic Village: North America's sustainable community

Southeast False Creek (SEFC) will be a model sustainable community built on the last remaining large tract of undeveloped waterfront land near downtown Vancouver.

On July 2, 2003 Vancouver was awarded the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games and the SEFC development site was chosen as the future site of the Vancouver Olympic Village.

The SEFC site comprises 32 hectares (80 acres) of which approximately 20 hectares (50 acres) is owned by the City. SEFC is bounded by Cambie Bridge on the west, Main Street on the east, and 2nd Avenue to the south. The Olympic Village will be located in Area 2A of the SEFC site.

Historically, the Southeast False Creek site was used for industrial and commercial purposes. While maintaining heritage ties to the past, SEFC is being planned as a model sustainable development based on environmental, social and economic principles where people will live, work, play, and learn. SEFC will be a mixed-use community, with a focus on residential housing for families. This complete community will ensure goods and services within walking distance and housinartist rendering of olympic village plazag that is linked by transit and in proximity to local jobs. SEFC will eventually be home to 12,000 to 16,000 people.

The Vancouver Olympic Village features modern low and mid-rise accommodations for 2,800 athletes and officials and sits an average distance of 12 kilometres from Vancouver area competition venues. Athletes will be able to walk, bus or take a ferry to the city's shopping and entertainment districts, and enjoy nightly medal ceremonies, fireworks, and cultural celebrations just moments away at BC Place Stadium.

After the 2010 Winter Games

- after the 2010 Winter Games, the buildings of the Olympic Village will become permanent residential housing, with a focus on housing for families.
- the Olympic Village is the first phase of a new mixed-use community, and will contribute about 1,100 residential units (250 of which will become affordable housing, and another 100 units will become modest market housing).
- while maintaining heritage ties to the past, SEFC is planned as a model sustainable development based on environmental, social and economic principles where people will live, work, play, and learn. This complete community will ensure goods and services within walking distance and housing that is linked by transit and in proximity to local jobs.
- SEFC buildings will be a showcase of sustainable development and designed to LEED® Gold, with a goal of LEED® Platinum* for the community centre.
- when fully developed , SEFC will have six million square feet of development. This will include: more than 5,000 residential units; full-size community centre and non-motorized boating facility; three to five licensed childcare facilities; two out-of-school care facilities; an elementary school; interfaith spiritual centre; restoration of five heritage buildings; and 10 hectares of park.
- shoreline works will include a new island and inter-tidal fish habitat, bridge, boardwalk, and seaside greenway and bikeway.
- other unique features will include urban agriculture; rainwater management systems; green roofs; and neighbourhood energy system.
- by 2020, Southeast False Creek will be home to 12,000 to 16,000 people.

Construction Update

Development of the Village in southeast False Creek will be carried out by the City of Vancouver, in cooperation with VANOC and will conform to the City's plans to create a sustainable community in this area. The 55,700 square metre, 600-unit project represents the final stage in the complete renewal of the False Creek site, begun by the three levels of government in the 1970s. Planning work is underway and construction is expected to begin in late 2006 or early 2007, with completion in 2009.

Temporary structures designed solely for use during the Games will be set up starting September 2009. Removal of the temporary structures will commence March 2010 and the Village will assume its post-Games legacy design.

Videos: http://vancouver.ca/Greaterdot_wa/index.cf...amp;storyid=531

About the Village

The Southeast False Creek Official Development Plan (ODP) is divided into seven sub-areas. Sub-area 2A will be the first phase of City-owned land to be developed and will become the Vancouver Olympic Village for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. The Olympic Village will be home to approximately 2,800 athletes and officials during the 2010 Winter Games.

The buildings in the Olympic Village will be turned over to VANOC on November 1, 2009 for the final preparations and use during the 2010 Winter Games. The buildings will be returned to the City of Vancouver on March 31, 2010.

After the 2010 Winter Games, those buildings used by the athletes will provide approximately 1,000 residential units, including 250 affordable housing units, a community centre, daycare, retail and service space for the new residents of Southeast False Creek.

Development of the remaining City Lands (Sub-area 1A and 3A) will continue to 2018. Development on some of the private sites (Sub-area 1B, 2B, 3B and 3C) may occur prior to the 2010 Winter Games and will likely continue beyond 2018.

This website focuses on the development of the Olympic Village. Updates on the development of the other City-owned lands (sub-area 1A and 3A) will be provided as information becomes available.

Olympic Village during the Games

This conceptual diagram illustrates how the Southeast False Creek site will likely be used during the 2010 Winter Games.

Timeline
July 2005
Official Development Plan bylaw enacted

July 2005 to February 2006
Complete construction drawings for streets and utilities from Ontario to Columbia Street, including the waterfront and stormwater wetland in the western park.

April 2005
Approval in Principle Soil Remediation Plan

December 2005
Department of Fisheries Approval

December 2005
Subdivision Application

January 2006
Site Preparation begins

March/April 2006
Complete public realm plan and construction drawings for the streets, western waterfront and village square.

March 2006 to January 2007
Olympic Village Rezoning

April 2006
Infrastructure Construction begins

Early 2007
Building construction begins

October 2009
Olympic Village Construction completed

November 1, 2009
VANOC takes over Olympic Village

March 31, 2010
VANOC returns the Olympic Village to the City of Vancouver

Green Building Strategy

A Green Building Strategy has been adopted for Southeast False Creek, which requires that all buildings on City Lands be constructed to a minimum LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver standard, with an objective of LEED Gold standard.

One building on the City Lands -- likely the Community Centre -- must be constructed to a minimum LEED Gold standard, with an objective of LEED Platinum standard.

Other Information

During the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games,
Southeast False Creek will be temporarily transformed into the Olympic Village.

During the Games

• the Village will house approximately 2,800 athletes and officials in 12 to 15 buildings

• there will be a minimum of 30,000 square feet of commercial and retail space

• all buildings will be delivered to VANOC during the Exclusive Use Period (November 1, 2009 to March 31, 2010) for the Games

• a new 30,000 square foot community centre will be used during the Games

After the Games

• there will be approximately 1,000 residential units and 82,000 square feet of commercial and retail uses for the new residents of Southeast False Creek

• 250 units will become affordable housing after the games

• buildings in the Village will be a showcase of sustainable development. All buildings will be designed to a minimum of LEED Silver with a goal of LEED Gold. LEED stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design and is the North American standard for measuring green building performance.

Key Transportation In the Area:
- Canada Line (Olympic Village Station)
- Expo-Millennium Line (Main Street - Science World Station)
- Vancouver Downtown StreetCar (Columbia St. Station & Quebec St. Station)
- Vancouver Streetcar

Community Centre & Boat House/Athletes Village Mess Hall

another one by erikson. a mini-twist condo

some other interesting ones..

the foundry building

Last edited by mr.x; Oct 13, 2007 at 1:10 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 6:53 AM

August 2007

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Pictures taken by VANCOUVERITE, September 2007

Southeast False Creek Olympic Village

SEFC construction precinct (14 cranes are visible by my count, and there are lots more to come)

SEFC Olympic Village construction progress

SEFC Olympic Village “tidal island” landscaping progress

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 7:04 AM
Dérive-r

I can't wait to explore that neighbourhood when it's done. Thanks for all the info mr.x2. I hadn't seen some of those pictures before like that park with the big industrial structure overtop. Speaking of that park, what's the deal with the hill/speedbump thing going on with the grass? It looks like an interesting feature but it might render the park a little less useful - you can't easily kick a soccer ball around on something so uneven. It seems a little too artsy, not functional enough. It looks pretty cool though.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the info mr.x2.
All of this has already been posted at Skyscrapercity for ages, but nobody here ever visits that place do they?

But it's finally getting some response.....at Skyscraperpage.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 9:39 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Fantastic compilation, mr.x2.
I too can't wait to see this new neighborhood when completed.
I'm also excited to see downtown finally join Broadway. Right now the two don't flow together as well as they should. This neighborhood should remedy that.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 1:03 AM

i took some pictures of renderings in this month's west coast homes mag. granted, they're not great but whatever. i was drunk. better than nothing.

at a pedestrian level, i think this area is going to be great. i look forward to exploring it in 2 years.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 1:23 AM

This is a massive project its like building a small town all at once. By 2020 home to 12000-16000 people, impressive!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 6:00 AM
I'm cheap

I think it looks sharp!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 6:03 AM

Here's another one, posted by Delirium originally:

Old Posted Oct 1, 2007, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post

[/IMG]
something tells me this'll be one of those photos we'll look at in 20 years and say "wow, i can't believe vancouver used to look like THAT".....

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 12:12 AM
Community Guy

^yup...this is one of the best planned areas i have ever seen in terms of market and affordable housing, pocket parks, use of existing infrastructure, and creativity.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 6:46 PM

More cranage from yesterday

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 9:57 PM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^yup...this is one of the best planned areas i have ever seen in terms of market and affordable housing, pocket parks, use of existing infrastructure, and creativity.
Affordable ?

It STARTS at $450,000. That's not what I'd deem as affordable.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 11:10 PM

Right... but the Olympic Village will retain may affordable units that are not at market price when the games are over.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 6:10 PM

The website has been updated www.milleniumwater.com

Urban fare is the grocery store

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 6:18 PM

^ Opps, you missed an "n" in the url.

http://www.millenniumwater.com/

Why do real estate websites insist on playing music at full volume? At least it isn't lousy techno or whatever.

It is a nice illustration. Definitely a cut above the conventional real estate ad material.

Source: www.Millenniumwater.com (cropped by me)

A link to a large, hand-stitched panorama I took in the summer of 2007 showing the construction and context of the Olympic Village.

Thanks imageshack.us for free photo hosting.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Oct 12, 2007 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 7:03 PM

Quite a contrast between the soldier-like point towers of CityGate and SE False Creek (in large part due to the colouring/highlighting of the rendering)
Makes you think that even the taller podiums at CityGate are too short. I could have easily seen one or two point towers in SE False Creek to add more variety.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Quite a contrast between the soldier-like point towers of CityGate and SE False Creek (in large part due to the colouring/highlighting of the rendering)
Makes you think that even the taller podiums at CityGate are too short. I could have easily seen one or two point towers in SE False Creek to add more variety.
I think when that area is completed, that contrast won't be so obvious. Remember that the "front-line" of development (i.e., the stuff on the waterfront) is all low-to-mid-rises. Everything behind that (i.e., south of 1st avenue, and east of the village) is on privately-developed land and will be 15-25 storeys. That's approaching the heights of Citygate, and helping to ease the transition between the two neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 7:19 PM

True enough.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 11:04 PM

incredible rendering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver