HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 4:21 AM

Twin Towers on 1554 Market St.

The foundation is quite deep now for 1554 Market Street. The wood framing in the background is another building going up in the first block of Franklin Street.

1554 Market Street - San Francisco

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 5:29 AM
heavy user of walkability

if you look carefully, you can see a glimmer of cladding starting to peek out along the shadowed back side of the office building going up on Townsend

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 4:33 PM

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
The foundation is quite deep now for 1554 Market Street. The wood framing in the background is another building going up in the first block of Franklin Street.

1554 Market Street - San Francisco
Let's remind people what this is:

http://www.handelarchitects.com/proj...54-market.html

Over on Franklin St., the French-American School has proposed a 320 ft tower but as far as I know it isn't approved. They may just be clearing the lot.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...es-valley.html

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Over on Franklin St., the French-American School has proposed a 320 ft tower but as far as I know it isn't approved. They may just be clearing the lot.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...es-valley.html
It could be this:

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...et-rising.html

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 8:42 PM

^^ Mostly likely that's it. Strange: I looked at the new edition of the SF Business Times which has maps supposedly showing all active residential and commercial projects and didn't see that one.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 10:36 PM

1 Oak, 22 Franklin, 1554 Market and proposed high rise

Due to the aerial perspective it is difficult to discern 22 Franklin. In this map the auto repair shop is shown and is now gone, with the new building in build.

I've marked in blue line the different develops. This is a very hot block with lots happening with only one old building to be left standing by the end of 3-5 years.

One Oak was just approved & now goes before the Board of Supervisors for approval. This one at Oak and Van Ness Avenue will be the tall one!

22 Franklin/1 Oak/1554 Market/Proposed
Map from Socket Site.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
This is a very hot block with lots happening with only one old building to be left standing by the end of 3-5 years.
I see the Miramar Apartments on the corner, which is considered historic and thus protected, but I also see a building between One Oak and "being built now". Is there a proposal for that one?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
I see the Miramar Apartments on the corner, which is considered historic and thus protected, but I also see a building between One Oak and "being built now". Is there a proposal for that one?
THIS rendering doesn't seem to show that little building remaining. Isn't it part of the 1554 Market site?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 2:02 AM

^^In case anyone missed this in the same neighborhood:

Quote:
S.F. Conservatory of Music looks to build tower on Van Ness
By J.K. Dineen
September 27, 2015 Updated: September 27, 2015 6:44pm

The San Francisco Conservatory of Music . . . has filed a preliminary application with the Planning Department to build an 11-story tower at 200 Van Ness Ave., a 140-unit building that will house about 300 students and faculty and include a publicly accessible performance space.

The filing comes eight months after the conservatory bought the Lighthouse for the Blind building at 214 Van Ness Ave., a 13,000-square-foot commercial building, as well as a 27-unit, rent-controlled residential building next door at 200 Van Ness Ave . . . .

Construction is expected to begin within the next three years. The architect on the project is Mark Cavagnero, who designed the SFJazz Center on Franklin Street . . . .
http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/a...er-6533723.php

Unfortunately, there's no update and the school didn't respond to a BizTimes inquiry for their current issue.

Socketsite did publish some renderings in October:

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...n-to-size.html

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Unfortunately, there's no update and the school didn't respond to a BizTimes inquiry for their current issue.
a building permit was applied for on May 5 this year, so still seems to be happening

http://dbiweb.sfgov.org/dbipts/defau...55847&Stepin=1

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 9:24 PM
dazzle me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
I also see a building between One Oak and "being built now". Is there a proposal for that one?
that building is park of the one oak street site.

edit: also, jerry is correct as usual. 22 franklin isn't part of the french american school project, though they do include it in their massing model (view from oak, down franklin toward market street):

notice 22 franklin street midblock:

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
that building is park of the one oak street site.
I disagree. You are probably saying that because One Oak and 1554 Market will be adjacent with the building gone--true--but I believe it's part of 1554 Market, not One Oak according to the renderings. It should be easy to know for sure since 1554 is being excavated: The building should be gone now. I don't know if that's the case because I haven't been by there but Jerry probably does.

I think Jerry's diagram is a bit wrong in that he drew his outline of the 1554 site showing a jog around the little building. I don't think there is a jog. The renderings of a completed 1554 certainly don't look as if there is. They show a straight property line from Market to Oak.

Quote:
edit: also, jerry is correct as usual. 22 franklin isn't part of the french american school project, though they do include it in their massing model (view from oak, down franklin toward market street)
Nobody's disputing that 22 Franklin is the U/C project in Jerry's photo (I and several others have pointed out the French-Amercan tower hasn't even been approved yet). I had forgotten about 22 Franklin until reminded and even the Busness Times "Structures" issue which claims to show all current projects doesn't show it, maybe because it's too small.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 12:02 AM

1554 Market Steet Dig

I apologize for not being more careful with the lines in my aerial view! Here is a screen capture of the block from Google Earth. And yes, the small building is gone and now part of 1554 Market. I think it will all make better sense now!

1554 market_google earth

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:58 PM

Quote:
I apologize for not being more careful with the lines in my aerial view! Here is a screen capture of the block from Google Earth. And yes, the small building is gone and now part of 1554 Market. I think it will all make better sense now!
Thanks, Jerry, for your gracious reply.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 9:56 PM

I had missed the release of the current design, I was worried it was still this one:

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 11:27 PM

^^That is fabulous. I love that. Absolutely it "plays against type" and wish we had a bit more of that and a "mish-mash" neighborhood like the Van Ness/Market intersection is the perfect spot for it. Wouldn't want it plopped down in Noe Valley or on Bernal Heights, but 22 Franklin? Hey, yeah--I'd detour frequently just to see it. The only improvement: Urge "All-Star Donuts" to reopen on the ground floor.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 2:57 AM

I'm actually excited about this in a way I'm not usually about new hotels (because I won't be staying in them). I keep hoping with every new Mid-Market project that THIS one will change the street's zeigeist:

Quote:
This New Mid-Market Hotel Sounds Like a Big Deal
Proper Hotel adds James Beard-nominated chef Jason Franey and Trick Dog team members
by Caleb Pershan Jun 27, 2017, 3:12pm PDT

Proper Hotel, a forthcoming luxury hotel chain with locations bound for Santa Monica, Los Angeles, and Austin, is first headed to the historic flatiron building at 7th and Market (previously home to the Renoir Hotel), and some serious food and drink players have just joined their team: James Beard award nominee Jason Franey, most recently of Monterey’s Restaurant 1833, and Josh Harris and Morgan Schick of Bon Vivants and Trick Dog cocktail fame.

. . . the hotel opens in August. Proper’s 131 rooms, which start at $400 a night, are already available for booking. Consider those prices, and the project generally, to be the latest big bet on Mid-Market . . . .

Proper will bring with it four different places to eat and drink, including a rooftop lounge . . . .

Another (botel) planned for nearby, the Yotel — headed to the Grant Building at 1095 Market — has already got Daniel Patterson onboard: He’ll put an Alta CA restaurant there.
https://sf.eater.com/2017/6/27/15882...aney-trick-dog

PS: Rode by there again today (ride the 5-Fulton a lot). Not much seems to change over the months. If they are opening in August, at least on the outside it looks like they have a lot to do.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 6:25 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
I had missed the release of the current design, I was worried it was still this one:
I can see that people don't pay much attention to my posts, since back on May 22 I posted this, which I would have thought would have headed off some of this discussion :

Quote:
it also looks like this other one on that block, on the Franklin side, has started

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 8:27 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
I can see that people don't pay much attention to my posts, since back on May 22 I posted this, which I would have thought would have headed off some of this discussion :
I immediately remembered your original posting along with your SocketSite attachment that contained a link to this earlier edition. For a change, I agreed with the initial comments there!

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...d-to-rise.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations