HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 8:55 AM

Holy crap what a freaking awesome night downtown...

Stand Up Live...best thing to happen to downtown, ever! Jo Koy freaking killed it, the show was just awesome. The guy was funny as hell and could really put on a show, really got the crowd into it...he can sing pretty damn good too. If you can, definitely go check out the show tonight, definitely worth it. The first act guy was pretty damn good too. I love what they did with the place...the pictures of old downtown Phoenix, really helps connect you with the whole place and kind of takes ownership of downtown, so you don't forget where you are. The placed was packed...I'd say sold out, I didn't see on empty chair and it's a pretty big place, but not too big where you can't see or are too far away from the stage. Seating is tight...they packed everyone in like sardines.

Prior to the show...there was something else going on, a fashion show put on by Designer District. It was pretty cool...good amount of people and gave downtown a nice vibe. There were people everywhere...on the streets, on the light rail platforms...it just really felt happening. I can't wait for Palomar to be complete along with some of the other restaurants...it really does feel like maybe we are turning the corner here!

And some photos...lots of photos...

First the fashion show...

Will Call and ticket booth for Stand Up Live...now we know what they did with the stairs.

Finally inside...faux bricks but it works.

Loved the downtown backdrop to the stage...very nice touch.

Food was pretty good...the sliders weren't anything special but ok. The pretzel sticks were awesome...Aaron May has pretzels down, he made some great ones at the Oktoberfest event too.

Packed house.

Another image of old downtown in the entry area...again great touch.

My wife posing.

The line for the 10:30 show...and this was at about 9:50. Yea, it's all the way to the street.

And finally a little art on the way out.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 11:03 AM
BANNED

Wait. They hired aaron may? Good luck.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 11:11 AM

Why good luck? But yea, I saw him there coming out of the back (kitchen?) and I remember reading that he will be the chef at their restaurant, Copper Blues.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 1:53 PM

Awesome awesome awesome!!!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 1:56 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Nice job, looks like a fun night.

A few questions: How was the show set up? Was there a Host, an Opener and a Feature and then Jo Koy? You only mentioned one opener and didn't mention a host, which seems odd if thats how they did it.

Was the Opener possibly named Travis Thurman? A bit of internet researching says it may have been, if so, thats unfortunate, he's awful. Just total hack garbage, "Scottsdale girls are like THIS and where my Glendale girls at? *girls in crowd applaud* Oh don't even get me started on Glendale girls!"

I do like all the pictures of historic PHX in the place. I kinda think it might be distracting as the main back drop, but its an interesting idea. I'm glad they didn't do the faux brick back there, thats so over done.

Is there a balcony or was all the seating on one level? In that pic of the crowd it almost looks like a big convention ballroom.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 3:00 PM
BANNED

Good luck because the guy isnt a chef, he is a reheater of processed and store bought goods. He is extremely arrogant and likes to do coke and clain that every other chef is a hack. There is a reason he is over 1.5 mil in debt. How he continues to attract investors cash and get jobs as exec chef is really beyond me.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 3:01 PM

I was at the 8:00 show and it was awesome. I had almost zero preconceived notion about Jo Koy (my fiance likes him a lot and someone on here said he was a "gossipy" comic (?)). He was freaking hilarious and put on a really really good show. Perfect amount of jokes, crowd interaction, entertainment, stories, etc. Hx_Guy, sounds like he put on a good show at 10:30 too, but I can't imagine it being better than the 8pm (the crowd interaction stuff did fell perfectly inline with his jokes - hard to explain, but Jo Koy himself was surprised and cracking up, etc.). Hoover, Jo Koy had his own DJ that was kind of the host. There was one opening act (a guy out of LA - Mark Hammer? Something Hammer) then Jo Koy. Kinda surprised there was no local guy.

Overall, without commenting on service or drinks or anything since it was opening night, I was impressed with the place. The historic phoenix DT pictures were awesome and a nice touch. The place, while packed in, had a decent setup... a ton of seating on the lower level, then kind of a ring of "2nd level" high top bar tables, having what looked like a continuous bench around the whole room. No real balcony.

We had a good night at CS, going to AB first for dinner and drinks, after for a drink, then after after for a drink at Lucky Strike. Afterward nothing was that crowded, and I hate how CS is still half under construction... but it seems like CS may actually succeed and be a boon for downtown.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 3:11 PM

^Wow surprising there was no local act even opening, thats disappointing to hear.

I was the one that said Koy was gossipy. I just mean he's very much for the E! television crowd and I wasn't sure how to put that. He's not my taste but he's certainly skilled.

I prefer the more "Alternative" scene in comedy (though that term is universally loathed), guys like Louis CK, The Sklar Brothers, Demetri Martin, Patton Oswalt, Zach Galifinakis, Brian Posehn, Maria Bamford, Paul F Tompkins, Garfunkle and Oates , Jimmy Pardo, Andy Kindler, Doug Benson, Nick Kroll, et cetera. Sadly none of those types of acts will ever be seen at Stand Up Live, so its appeal is likely fairly limited to me. I wish the Valley had a club more like The Laughing Skull in Atlanta.

Last edited by HooverDam; Apr 30, 2011 at 3:29 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 3:45 PM

PHX31...you misunderstood, I was at the 8:00 show too!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 6:58 PM

/\ I was sitting at the table right next to the black guy that came in late (Jermichael) and at the table next to the Laotian chick (and guy he also made fun of). And wasn't it funny how he introducted himself to that dude in front and it just happend the guy's name was Steve just after he did his "the dunk friend - Steve" bit? I thought that was LOL.

Hoover, he was good and I don't remember him once talking about current event/celebrity/gossip stuff (if that's what you meant), probably does that for the show. He was actually a pretty incredible entertainer (obviously funny, but he sang and danced to old-ish school hip hop and r&b that his DJ was playing).

Louis CK was the funniest comedian I've ever seen. I can't wait to see Norm... although I didn't see his name on any upcoming shows. Why wouldn't those acts you mentioned ever be at stand up live?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 7:03 PM

PHX...yea that stuff was great, it did make me wonder if it was setup though...but I guess he is just that good that he can just pick up on that stuff and run with it? I mean that Laotian (lotion) stuff was funny as hell...and the Steve thing was awesome!

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 5:50 AM

I wondered if it was setup too, but then I thought it didn't seem like it and really? Seems lame as hell to set up ONE joke.

Last edited by PHX31; May 1, 2011 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 6:04 AM
BANNED

I heard from both Hoover and my girlfriend that he only does gossipy comedy ala TMZ, Chelsea Lately, and Perez Hilton. I'm disappointed now that I missed him because you guys have me convinced that Hoover and stupid Erika were both wrong.

I can not wait for Norm. I haven't bought tickets yet, but I'll happily wait in line for hours to be the in the front row. PHX, you want to meet up early? lol I'm going to wear a shirt that says "turd ferguson" cause it's a funny name.

Last edited by Vicelord John; May 1, 2011 at 3:17 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 7:36 AM
Skyriser

I can't remember seeing downtown so busy at night. At around 10:00 PM the Herberger was lit up and looking wonderfully, Seamus's was packed, the Hyatt was even kicking... Cibo's was packed, Local Breeze and the new lounge next to Seamus's both had good traffic, there was a Cinco festival next to the 120 Van Buren building (which has an AWESOME new address marquee), all on top of a Cruising on Central festival in Midtown earlier...

none of which I can enjoy these days. The joys of interning. =)

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 3:55 PM

When is Norm coming and when do tickets go on sale? Like i said, there was no mention of him when i was there.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
I prefer the more "Alternative" scene in comedy (though that term is universally loathed), guys like Louis CK, The Sklar Brothers, Demetri Martin, Patton Oswalt, Zach Galifinakis, Brian Posehn, Maria Bamford, Paul F Tompkins, Garfunkle and Oates , Jimmy Pardo, Andy Kindler, Doug Benson, Nick Kroll, et cetera. Sadly none of those types of acts will ever be seen at Stand Up Live, so its appeal is likely fairly limited to me. I wish the Valley had a club more like The Laughing Skull in Atlanta.
Love Garfunkle & Oats but what part of these people is "alternative"? Most of them have their own TV shows or play shitty bit parts on other people's show. Seems pretty mainstream to me. G&O is even writing a new comedy for HBO.

On that note, has anyone been watching Talking Funny? Ever since HBO Go came online, I've been catching up with it. Amazing to see a group like Seinfeld, Gervais, Chris Rock, and Louis CK all get along so well. They all seem so different, like they'd never associate with each other, but they all talk like they've been friends forever. Crazy.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynnjamin View Post
Love Garfunkle & Oats but what part of these people is "alternative"? Most of them have their own TV shows or play shitty bit parts on other people's show. Seems pretty mainstream to me. G&O is even writing a new comedy for HBO.
Thats why "alternative" is sort of a bad title. But its what it got called in the early 90s when that style of comedy was developing and alternative rock was also becoming prevalent.

It is an alternative to that 80s comedy boom style of comedy that was so prevalent. Back then a lot of comics played characters and weren't being truthful about themselves. Its an alternative to those schlocky guys who wear suit blazers with t-shirts and the like.

From WikiP, Patton Oswalt described alternative comedy as "comedy where the audience has no pre-set expectations about the crowd, and vice versa. In comedy clubs, there tends to be a certain vibe—alternative comedy explores different types of material." Comedy clubs are often counter to sort of the more exploratory or artistic side of comedy which is why a lot of the bigger "alternative" comedy acts don't do comedy clubs for the most part, they do theaters, art centers, small black box theaters, Improv theaters, etc.

Also, for the most part those people I mentioned (save CK & Oswalt) couldn't fill a 600 seat theater like "Stand Up Live" four times in a weekend. So Stand Up Live will have to keep bringing in a steady stream of guys like Mencia, Rodney Carrington, etc. that I have no interest in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynnjamin View Post
On that note, has anyone been watching Talking Funny? Ever since HBO Go came online, I've been catching up with it. Amazing to see a group like Seinfeld, Gervais, Chris Rock, and Louis CK all get along so well. They all seem so different, like they'd never associate with each other, but they all talk like they've been friends forever. Crazy.
I really wanted to see it but I don't have HBO. Ill have to wait until its on Netflix. CK used to write for Chris Rock's show. Seinfeld & CK are both New York comics and probably came up together and I know CK & Gervais are friends and have done other stuff together (i.e. "The Invention of Lying"), also Gervais interviewed Louis for a BBC show (just a clip): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl6p0rbMAHk

I heard Gervais say in an interview promoting "Talking Funny" he wants to do a "Talking Talk" next with Conan O'Brien, David Letterman & Jon Stewart- that would be neat.

Last edited by HooverDam; May 2, 2011 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 4:34 PM

On one I was watching, Louis was talking about how he used to open for Seinfeld way back in the day and how he said something like "welcome to the stage the funniest guy in the world, Jerry Seinfeld" the first show he opened, and then after the show Jerry was pissed at him for putting all kinds of pressure on him and cursed him out but still wanted him to open for him cuz he killed. Really good stuff.

I don't have HBO but my mom in Phx does and she'll never use the online feature so I just log in as her. So I get free HBO shows and the interface kicks serious ass.

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 7:23 PM
Now in North Loop!

more pics of wife

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 10:23 PM

/\After seeing this post, I just noticed, I'm in one of your pictures.

...................................^ I'm the guy in the background directly up from this guy in the foreground.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest