HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 12:34 AM

Today
I guess it looks better gray...

IMD

Blackhawks facility and Rush University land (west of Blackhawks facility. Ogden entrance to Blue line too.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 12:59 AM
1st Ward

^ Wow... it actually looks a lot better in grey. I can suppress my gag reflex while looking at it now!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 1:42 AM

^Holy smokes! Never noticed the windows until now. Nice little early Christmas gift.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 2:39 AM
atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
That's a shame. It wasn't the prettiest building, but certainly better looking than the 70's modernist crap around it *cough* Medical Center Apts *cough* It doesn't help that the IMD demo'd almost every other prewar building in the immediate vicinity, giving the neighborhood a pedestrian unfriendly and antiseptic feel.

What do they plan on replacing it with? Please don't say an empty gravel lot for a decade...
I don't know. It's not included in Stroger's master plan. Initially I thought they would vacate that short block of Wolcott and combine this triangle with Pasteur Park across the street, but the master plan actually calls for Wolcott to be extended south of Harrison and become the main (visitor) entrance to the hospital.

The fact that the building is being torn down without a plan for reuse is troubling, given that there are already several vacant overgrown triangles along this stretch of Ogden. Ugh I really wish architects would treat Ogden like a regular commercial street in Chicago, instead of like a Gurnee auto sewer.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:25 AM

Does anyone know of any plans for anything new on Union Avenue between Hubbard and Grand (near Milwaukee Ave). There were 4 lots of land sold on 9/8 to a U46IC LLC which covers 2 vacant lots and a (probably) vacant 1 story industrial type of building. According to Loopnet, the zoning (C1-5) can accommodate up to 94 units.

This is right around the corner from that Seven 10 West being built on Grand (105 units) and Kenect (227 units) near the Grand Blue Line stop. I guess it's possible that we could see another almost 100 units materialize in that area before our eyes. It's also more or less across the street from the Salvation Army on Grand. Wasn't there talks of redevelopment there?

Currently:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/44...!4d-87.6455042

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

Last edited by marothisu; Dec 5, 2017 at 4:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 6:07 AM

That grey looks so much better. I kind of wish they could had worked on the exterior lighting.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 1:16 PM

The former Agudas Achim synagogue in Uptown at 5029 N Kenmore (Kenmore & Argyle) was issued a permit yesterday to finally convert it to 40 dwelling units.

* Check out my 2015 Chicago conversions, rehabs, and additions map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 2:51 PM

Ugh, sorry for the lost photos... I’m over photobucket.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The former Agudas Achim synagogue in Uptown at 5029 N Kenmore (Kenmore & Argyle) was issued a permit yesterday to finally convert it to 40 dwelling units.
sigh

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:55 PM

Boom:

Last edited by LouisVanDerWright; Dec 5, 2017 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 5:43 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Ugh, sorry for the lost photos... I’m over photobucket.
imgur does well for me, I also used flickr for a long time with almost no issues

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 6:13 PM

edit

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 12:32 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This will be a conversion and not a demolition, right?

If a conversion, what kind of changes are we talking about with the exterior?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 12:59 AM
પટેલ. કે ન

A look inside the four-tower ‘urban campus’ planned for 700 W. Chicago

A new animation provides the best look yet at the seven-acre redevelopment
by Jay Koziarz Dec 4, 2017, 11:57am CST

Video Link

While the $700 million redevelopment of the Chicago Tribune’s riverfront real estate may still be some ways off, a new video provides our best look yet at the four-tower complex planned for 700 W. Chicago Avenue. The two-minute animation, ...

Known officially as 700 at The River District, the River West proposal is a joint venture between Tribune Media and Riverside Investment & Development. The plan by architect Goettsch Partners currently calls for three loft-style office towers, a 300-unit residential high-rise, and a 4.5-acre waterfront park with a publicly-accessible riverwalk.

The project is being marketed as a “Connected Campus.” The term not only suggests it will be tailor made to suit technology-oriented tenants but also an allusion to the parcel’s proximity to multiple modes of transportation including CTA lines and the Chicago Water Taxi. A planned access road connecting the site to Chicago’s commuter rail hubs also makes a reappearance in the video.
A zoning application for the four-tower development was filed in early September on the heels of a sweeping City Council....
The 700 at The River District plan is just one component of a much larger master plan for Tribune-owned real estate along the Chicago river. Combined with a 30-acre parcel south of Chicago Avenue which is currently home to the Freedom Center printing plant, the greater River District complex could someday support dozens of mixed-use high-rises.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 1:14 AM
1st Ward

^ Interesting. The proposed private busway/access road has a more direct shot towards the train stations now. Previous proposals shows it making an awkward jog to DesPlaines via Grand then turn back on Kinzie:

Source: Curbed Chicago

The vid shows the most seamless way to do this, which would be to follow the old Chicago & Northwestern spur to Clinton, and head south from there. They could also connect Jefferson to Grand, and then get to Clinton via Kinzie. The latter would probably be easier to implement, but increase the trip time for the shuttle bus.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 1:16 AM

DePaul University School of Music

12/1

Previously:

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 1:23 AM

The Lincoln Common

Delete

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 6:27 AM
atomic

Quote:
^ Interesting. The proposed private busway/access road has a more direct shot towards the train stations now. Previous proposals shows it making an awkward jog to DesPlaines via Grand then turn back on Kinzie:

Source: Curbed Chicago

The vid shows the most seamless way to do this, which would be to follow the old Chicago & Northwestern spur to Clinton, and head south from there. They could also connect Jefferson to Grand, and then get to Clinton via Kinzie. The latter would probably be easier to implement, but increase the trip time for the shuttle bus.
I think all of this is highly conceptual. I wouldn't read too much into these diagrams.

For speed and convenience, I would also prefer a more direct route but:

The spur, as it were, is only one track wide and is severely squeezed between the UP viaduct and the wall of Kinzie Park. Not to mention the intersection of Kinzie/Clinton itself, which is a forest of columns that would utterly block a bus coming from the north from accessing Clinton. Buses could get to Canal fairly easily, but then they'd have to cut back west to Clinton at Fulton. I'm sure there's an engineering solution somehow, but would it be safe and/or cost-effective?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 9:03 PM

Quote:
This will be a conversion and not a demolition, right?

If a conversion, what kind of changes are we talking about with the exterior?
It's a conversion. I went here a few years ago for Open House and you could tell at one time it was probably a decent temple, but it was pretty neglected. It's a shame that it became that way. Hopefully the conversion keeps more about its roots than merely the exterior.

Here's a rendering from Curbed:

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 10:47 AM

I had a quick look at the ACS 2016 survey data, and it looks like the city's population is 2,704,965 people. That's only about 1,000 new people from last year, so we still have really overall growth. The last ACS survey showed that this is because of high central area growth and large population loss on the South Side. I recall the West Side's population loss is starting to level off, and the population for South Lakefront neighborhoods increasing a bit.

Marothisu, when should we expect your detailed analysis of the population change from a neighborhood level?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development