HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslice View Post
Yeah i mean it didn't happen but there is the well documented 76ers fieldhouse which opened this year serving the same purpose albeit a smarter footprint.
Yeah, I know about that. Why do I suck so much at finding relevant articles to share?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 1:22 PM

Haha.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 7:22 PM
Me?!?

Decent design:

AmerisourceBergen breaks ground on new headquarters at SORA West in Conshohocken
https://www.timesherald.com/business...460b780d9.html

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 5:44 PM

Brandywine to develop new office building in King of Prussia

Quote:
Brandywine Realty Trust has plans to demolish an existing office building off First Avenue in King of Prussia to make way for a new 100,0000-square-foot office building.

A three-story, 54,338-square-foot office building at 650 Park Ave. now stands on the property. The existing structure, built in 1980, fronts First Avenue. Brandywine has received approval from Upper Merion to develop the four-story 100,000-square-foot building in its place. It was designed by Coscia Moos Architecture.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ine#i/11282758

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 1:54 PM

Wilmington updates

1) 2000 Pennsylvania Ave:

2) 200 block Market Street - demo completed.

3) New amenities/beer garden - Shipley St next to the new Mid-Town apts:

4) DE.CO opens Downtown:

5) Riverfront Hotels and Christina River bridge:

6) A new Riverfront restaurant in the making??

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 10:26 PM

^ You read my mind. This morning, I took some pictures as well of the hotels in Wilmington under construction:

Homewood Suites:
[IMG]Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington, DE (4/22/19) by jonesrmj, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hyatt Place:
[IMG]Hyatt Place Wilmington, DE (4/22/19) by jonesrmj, on Flickr[/IMG]

I also rode the Jack A Markell Trail. It was nice, but way shorter than I thought. I also don't think they picked the best route to have it go right by a prison.

[IMG]Jack A. Markell Trail Sign by jonesrmj, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Delaware Memorial Bridge by jonesrmj, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Wilmington, Delaware Skyline by jonesrmj, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 8:25 PM

Phoenixville is still pushing for a Norristown line extension.

The town hired a transportation consultant to conduct a preliminary feasibility study, the whole PDF of which is here: https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...e2804a.pdf.pdf

The Daily Local article on a town hall meeting held earlier this week on the results and how to pay for the project: https://www.dailylocal.com/news/high...42641c1b3.html

They believe that their "demonstration period" - in which they put together bare-necessities station in Phoenixville, Schuylkill Township, and King of Prussia, use duel-electric/diesel locomotives so as to not have to electrify the NS tracks, and run 3 peak-time trains in the morning and evening - will cost $111m and can be financed with tax-increment financing based within the state's new Transportation Revitalization Investment District program. They're projecting an additional 2,000 daily riders.

I'm fairly skeptical of that number but I definitely support the plans to push this as hard as possible. I think a several year demonstration period is a good idea to generate initial support and get a good idea of ridership.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 8:32 PM

Speaking of TOD...

Hankin Group discusses plans for the new Downingtown train station

Quote:
DOWNINGTOWN — Out with the old, in with the new.

Neil Fisher, vice president of development for The Hankin Group, updated borough council members recently regarding the plans for residential units, commercial space, an extension of two public trails, and the location for the new Downingtown AMTRAK/SEPTA Train Station.
The property, located in Downingtown Borough and East Caln Township, is about 60 acres. The plans include extending two trails in the area, one in Johnstown Park and the trail system that links to the proposed extension of the Chester-Valley Trail system. The connecting trails will be available for public use. The material on the trails will be limestone. He said that blends in with the environment and can be used by walkers, runners, bicyclists and allows baby strollers on it. Additionally, a pedestrian bridge will connect Downingtown’s Johnsontown Park to the east bank of the Brandywine Creek and the Chester-Valley Trail system.
There will be about 400 units total in the apartment buildings with a nearby parking structure.
They have plans for a walkway on both sides of the tunnel bridge on Brandywine Avenue (Route 322) near Boot Road. Additionally, off of Route 322 there will be an outdoor area with retail stores.
Among the first steps for Hankin will be to obtain environmental permits to allow them conduct environmental clean-up parts of the land that formerly housed the abandoned Sonoco Property. The old Sonoco Paper Mill smokestacks were demolished in January 2018 for the redevelopment project.
https://www.dailylocal.com/news/hank...3a94c942a.html

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Apr 26, 2019 at 1:34 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 2:06 AM

When is Phase 2 of the Capino Project going up for Wilmington?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
When is Phase 2 of the Capino Project going up for Wilmington?
I haven't seen any movement or mention of the taller phase 2.
The Capano Avenue of the Arts website doesn't even show it anymore -- sadly, I think it's been cancelled (quietly).

https://www.capanoresidential.com/co...1-avenue-arts/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
I haven't seen any movement or mention of the taller phase 2.
The Capano Avenue of the Arts website doesn't even show it anymore -- sadly, I think it's been cancelled (quietly).

https://www.capanoresidential.com/co...1-avenue-arts/
I hope they didn't cancel it. Not only because it was taller but also because there is still a huge vacant parking lot and it would add to the city.

I will say though, I had to make another trip to Tysons, VA the past couple of days, and while that area is indeed more exciting as far as development goes, I will say that it just doesn't seem like a true city the way Wilmington is because it doesn't have any history, and there isn't anything really to do besides the malls. It's all just a bunch of corporate skyscrapers randomly built in an area like Pike Creek, DE. That being said, I still wish Wilmington would see more skyscraper development, the crime and bad areas would go away, and we would have more corporations coming in, but imo Wilmington is already in a much better situation then Tysons will probably ever be for being a true city with history and things to do.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
I hope they didn't cancel it. Not only because it was taller but also because there is still a huge vacant parking lot and it would add to the city.

I will say though, I had to make another trip to Tysons, VA the past couple of days, and while that area is indeed more exciting as far as development goes, I will say that it just doesn't seem like a true city the way Wilmington is because it doesn't have any history, and there isn't anything really to do besides the malls. It's all just a bunch of corporate skyscrapers randomly built in an area like Pike Creek, DE. That being said, I still wish Wilmington would see more skyscraper development, the crime and bad areas would go away, and we would have more corporations coming in, but imo Wilmington is already in a much better situation then Tysons will probably ever be for being a true city with history and things to do.
Tyson's might develop into a true city. They are desperately trying to make it into one. It will take time and a lot of concerted and coordinated effort (which is happening) given that it was basically a fruit stand into the 1950s, then a shopping mall in the 1960s, slowly morphing into a quintessential edge city. It will take even longer for it to develop some real history and culture than develop a critical mass of permanent residents. Wilmington does have a leg up on it in these respects. But they are really just very different places that are hard to compare. I do not think crime and bad areas would "go away" because Wilmington gets skyscraper developments. Rather, conditions might support skyscraper development at the point when crime and bad areas have sufficiently dropped and higher end living spreads from out from Main Street, the Riverfront, Trolley Square, etc...

Wilmington's population peaked at 110K in 1920. I think it needs to get back there and well beyond before it can really sustain skyscrapers. Or there needs to be some real significant advantages/upside that draws employers from neighboring areas. I'm not sure what that would be. Maybe if Philadelphia gets expensive enough that Wilmington is viewed as a cost-efficient alternative for businesses. There's competition from Camden to fill that void as well.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Tyson's might develop into a true city. They are desperately trying to make it into one. It will take time and a lot of concerted and coordinated effort (which is happening) given that it was basically a fruit stand into the 1950s, then a shopping mall in the 1960s, slowly morphing into a quintessential edge city. It will take even longer for it to develop some real history and culture than develop a critical mass of permanent residents. Wilmington does have a leg up on it in these respects. But they are really just very different places that are hard to compare. I do not think crime and bad areas would "go away" because Wilmington gets skyscraper developments. Rather, conditions might support skyscraper development at the point when crime and bad areas have sufficiently dropped and higher end living spreads from out from Main Street, the Riverfront, Trolley Square, etc...

Wilmington's population peaked at 110K in 1920. I think it needs to get back there and well beyond before it can really sustain skyscrapers. Or there needs to be some real significant advantages/upside that draws employers from neighboring areas. I'm not sure what that would be. Maybe if Philadelphia gets expensive enough that Wilmington is viewed as a cost-efficient alternative for businesses. There's competition from Camden to fill that void as well.
I never said building skyscrapers would get rid of crime. I don't know how you came up with that. I just said that I wish Wilmington's crime would go down AND that I could see skyscraper development at some point. But I understand that it's not happening anytime soon.

And Wilmington's population peaked in 1940 at 112k - http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...de-population/

Last edited by jonesrmj; Apr 28, 2019 at 2:20 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 8:10 PM

Quote:
I never said building skyscrapers would get rid of crime. I don't know how you came up with that. I just said that I wish Wilmington's crime would go down AND that I could see skyscraper development at some point. But I understand that it's not happening anytime soon.

And Wilmington's population peaked in 1940 at 112k - http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...de-population/
Ok. I misread your post. A reduction crime and eventual skyscrapers would both be welcome developments. Looks like you are correct on the population peak; I think wiki entry had it was wrong and is now revised.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Ok. I misread your post. A reduction crime and eventual skyscrapers would both be welcome developments. Looks like you are correct on the population peak; I think wiki entry had it was wrong and is now revised.
Yeah, how many more years do you think it's going to take for the current development in Wilmington to have an impact in terms of population and attracting more businesses to the city? Also, didn't the population decline substantially at that time because of the new suburbs just outside the city limits?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Also, didn't the population decline substantially at that time because of the new suburbs just outside the city limits?
Yep, this happened to almost every major US city, but especially 'older' industrial cities. It will be interesting to see demographic shifts in the upcoming years; ie will aging millennials stay in the city or head to the burbs? I'm also curious to see where generation z will land in terms of housing preference. With the rise of car share services and driverless cars, it makes the suburbs much more bearable, but nothing beats walking a couple of blocks to your favorite restaurants and bars. I think the entire Philly metro is growing at a healthy pace, and we are seeing increases in both the city and suburbs (and fringe cities like Wilmington and Camden). If we keep working on our connectivity and transportation infrastructure while slowly gaining population, we will be in good shape for the future.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 3:09 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Good on West Chester University-big project for them.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 5:05 PM

Philadelphia Union were expected to bring more than soccer to Chester. 10 years later, there’s a new redevelopment plan.

https://www.philly.com/real-estate/c...-20190502.html

Quote:
Though thousands of fans poured into the city for games, most left immediately after, exiting Chester on the new I-95 ramps built for the stadium area. There was no eating at local restaurants on game days, and no waterfront shopping. The supermarket — one that would have eliminated Chester’s then food-desert status — never materialized next door.

Beyond the stadium, Chester’s waterfront that year looked largely the same as it always had — just as it does today.

Now, however, the Philadelphia Union’s parent company is launching development plans again. Keystone Sports and Entertainment, in partnership with the Riverfront Alliance of Delaware County, asked nearly 20 architectural firms in April to submit ideas for a “Chester Waterfront Master Plan.” Specifically, the groups are aiming to create a sports-and-entertainment and health-and-wellness campus, said Tim McDermott, the Union’s chief business officer, one that could include anything from a rock-climbing gym to “destination retail" to a youth sportsplex.

The goal is to have a master plan within three months.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 6:29 PM

^^Good to hear. It's pretty important for Chester that this happens.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
^^Good to hear. It's pretty important for Chester that this happens.
Agreed. I've always felt bad for Chester because it just looks hideous along I-95 between the DE state line and Philly Intl Airport. I hope Chester can recover!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations