HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 10:12 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
Some of those places mentioned are in Contra Costa which is still fairly White.
The point is that area is trending towards an Asian plurality.

Quote:
Southern Alameda County is basically a bedroom community for the Silicon Valley.
Southern Alameda county is part of the Silicon Valley.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
And, like I said above, it's going to be even more so once BART will take you from Hayward and places south all the way to Santa Clara.

I think BART will lead to a lot of gentrification in places like Hayward and San Leandro. Possibly see the areas go from Latino to Asian rather than from White to Asian. NIMBYs could possibly block high density housing around the Fremont BART Station.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 5:28 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
I think BART will lead to a lot of gentrification in places like Hayward and San Leandro. Possibly see the areas go from Latino to Asian rather than from White to Asian. NIMBYs could possibly block high density housing around the Fremont BART Station.
NIMBYs are already complaining about the "highrises" in Fremont. What a joke!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
The point is that area is trending towards an Asian plurality.

Southern Alameda county is part of the Silicon Valley.
More in South/Eastern Alameda County where they are building lots of new housing. Contra Costa is a father commute and has less new housing.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 12:41 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
More in South/Eastern Alameda County where they are building lots of new housing. Contra Costa is a father commute and has less new housing.
Well that's why I specified which areas of Contra Costa county I was referring to.

Asian Population 2017:
63.5% Norris Canyon, CA
44.0% San Ramon, CA
43.2% Camino Tassajara, CA

38 5% Dublin, CA
31.6% Pleasanton, CA
23.0% Shell Ridge, CA
21.1% Blackhawk, CA

10.2% Livermore, CA

With the addition of Danville, this^ subregion is commonly referred to as the Tri Valley and it includes areas of both counties. Overall the Tri Valley is an extremely affluent and desirable area with excellent public schools and low crime, the ideal suburban environment.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
NIMBYs are already complaining about the "highrises" in Fremont. What a joke!
There are so many parking lots and strip malls around Downtown Fremont that without NIMBYism new highrises could accommodate up to 100k new resident.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Well that's why I specified which areas of Contra Costa county I was referring to.

Asian Population 2017:
63.5% Norris Canyon, CA
44.0% San Ramon, CA
43.2% Camino Tassajara, CA

38 5% Dublin, CA
31.6% Pleasanton, CA
23.0% Shell Ridge, CA
21.1% Blackhawk, CA

10.2% Livermore, CA

With the addition of Danville, this^ subregion is commonly referred to as the Tri Valley and it includes areas of both counties. Overall the Tri Valley is an extremely affluent and desirable area with excellent public schools and low crime, the ideal suburban environment.
In that inland East Bay Regions basically the further South you go the more Asian it is. Further north is still pretty White.(Alamo, Walnut Creek, and Lafayette)

A lot of those areas mentioned are new track housing subdivisions being built from scratch.

Dublin is California's fastest growing city.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-13882869.php

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 6:16 PM

How much of these trends are dependent upon the growth of the tech industry taking into account another tech bubble crash or companies relocating to more affordable regions.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
How much of these trends are dependent upon the growth of the tech industry taking into account another tech bubble crash or companies relocating to more affordable regions.
The "tech bubble crash" was really a "dot-com" crash and a crash in companies that were building excessive dark fiber lines to nowhere. It took over a decade for much of the dark fiber to be lighted up on account of demand and the under-capitalized/money-losing dot-coms went bust.

But most tech hardware firms are profitable and survived and those are what Sillicon Valley is all about (San Francisco's South of Market neighborhood, on the other hand was and is all about software and it was decimated though now it's more about SAAS which is mostly also profitable; in the case of companies like Salesforce, highly profitable). Genrally speaking, tech hardware used all over the world is designed in Silicon Valley and built in Asia (as the labels often say).

No large tech companies have left Silicon Valley or San Francisco. Some start-ups and small unprofitable firms have and those have been promptly replaced by new entrepreneurialism, of which the area is a premier hotbed. Many large companies have, however, expanded to other tech hotbed cities (including downtown San Francisco).

The principle impact on demographics and real estate of all this has been that in the wake of the dot-com crash a lot of young, recently graduated coders--Americans mostly--did leave South of Market and the value of lofts in that neighborhood plummeted by maybe a third. It bounced back in 3 or 4 years though as new businesses replaced the old. Meanwhile, new immigration has kept the percentages of Asians in the Bay Area rising.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 5:51 PM

H-1B: Foreign citizens make up nearly three-quarters of Silicon Valley tech workforce, report says

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/...e-report-says/

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 1:15 AM

Just to confirm: "Asian" in this context means Chinese + Indian + Arab + Russian + etc. right?

Any California county where that mix would total 51% of the population would look extremely diverse with no dominant group at all, regardless of what it says "on paper".

(Now, "East Asian" does make some sense as a race/ethnic group... and I don't doubt that some areas of CA are very East Asian, just not as much as you'd think from the data.)

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Just to confirm: "Asian" in this context means Chinese + Indian + Arab + Russian + etc. right?
Not Arabs. Arabs are white according to the Census definitions. As is everyone else from the Middle East.

Technically, if you're a Pashtun from Afghanistan, you're white, but if you're a Pashtun from Pakistan, you're Asian.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 2:23 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Not Arabs. Arabs are white according to the Census definitions. As is everyone else from the Middle East.

Technically, if you're a Pashtun from Afghanistan, you're white, but if you're a Pashtun from Pakistan, you're Asian.
Russians are white too, as he included them with Arabs.

"Asian" means you're from continental Asia (usually East Asia in the US and South Asia in the UK), I suppose you could be both Asian and white (like Russian/Arab etc).

"Whiteness" has very subjective boundaries, sort of an annoying term along with "Person of color". Most westerners probably don't think of Arabs as white even if they look it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions