HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 5:12 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Sens Mile

This thread starts over here in the Regional section:
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131616

but it really belongs here in the Ottawa forums.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 5:13 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Sens Mile opens, at last

Paula McCooey, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: April 13, 2015, Last Updated: April 13, 2015 8:41 AM EDT

Spring and Stanley Cup fever drew dozens of hardcore Ottawa Senators fans to the official launch of the Sens Mile on Elgin Street on Sunday afternoon.

On the heels of the Senators’ win Saturday that clinched a playoff spot on the final day of the regular season, Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson, along with Senators president Cyril Leeder and many councillors, made the official launch in front of dozens of excited fans sporting Sens jerseys and waving signs and pom poms.

“We are so proud, Cyril, to have the Ottawa Senators as part of our fabric — and who wasn’t glued to a television set or at the Canadian Tire Centre for that wonderful win over Philadelphia,” said Watson, his words met by the sound of cheers, cow bells and whistles.

“Even though we had a bit of a false start,” he continued, smirking at Coun. Rick Chiarelli next to him, who was chastised for putting a supposed hex on the team when he suggested opening the Sens Miles before the playoffs. “But all is well that ends well.”

Later Chiarelli was asked if he felt like he’d had a monkey taken off his back, but he likened it to a much bigger animal.

“I think I have an orangutang off my back,” he said with a hearty laugh. “It’s pretty clear right now that if I had waited one more game to do the antidote to the curse, we wouldn’t be in the playoffs.”

The councillor was referring to the fact the Senators’ winning ways had come to an abrupt end as soon as he’d made his suggestion. But Chiarelli did some research, found a “cure” for his curse and then visited the Canadian Tire Centre with a stick in hand, rapping it seven times with his ring. And the winning began again.

And on Sunday, with the playoffs now at hand, Watson got down to the traditional postseason business, tweeting Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre to organize a friendly bet between the two.

As the Elgin Street event wrapped up with Watson and Leeder unveiling the new 2014-15 Sens Mile signs, Leeder spoke of the “magical two months” leading up to the playoffs.

“The good news is the fun is just getting started,” he said. “We are really happy to be part of the Stanley Cup playoffs for the 15th time in the last 18 years … and we are looking forward to getting the city excited again, and it starts right here at the Sens Mile right down here at Elgin Street.”

He finished off by noting the official rallying cry of this year for the playoffs if going to be “young and hungry”.

Other characters that came out to mark the Sens Mile tradition included the team’s mascot, Spartacat, and bobbleheaded former prime ministers Sir John A. Macdonald and Sir Wilfrid Laurier. They posed with fans in front of city hall where they were the “I” and “T” in the word “United”, which was spelled out in four-foot red letters.

Neil Kenkel, 22, was one of many who jumped up on the platform for a photo opportunity.

The lifelong Sens fan says he became a believer they would make the playoffs after their three-game sweep through California to end February with Andrew “The Hamburglar” Hammond in goal. Kenkel says that when he’s not watching the playoff games live, he’ll be down at Sens Mile cheering them on.

“I love it, it’s great for the city,” he said. “They opened the CTC centre (Saturday) and I was there. The city is coming alive and rallying behind the Sens, and you’ve got to love it.”

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hock...ens-mile-opens

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
[B][SIZE="4"]
Other characters that came out to mark the Sens Mile tradition included the team’s mascot, Spartacat, and bobbleheaded former prime ministers Sir John A. Macdonald and Sir Wilfrid Laurier. They posed with fans in front of city hall where they were the “I” and “T” in the word “United”, which was spelled out in four-foot red letters.
I'm indifferent to hockey but was invited to a corporate box for the game about 3 weeks ago and they brought out these bobblehead characters on skates looking like Sir John and Sir Wilf..what no 'dief'. It was cringeworthy in my opinion.

When will Mayor Jimbo have some lame bet with the Mayor of Montreal about who will win the series...all over a case of some micro beer or some local food product.

These things are so predictable. Chiarelli, Wilkinson and Qadri will wear their Senators jerseys the most and the longest. The Mayor not so much.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I'm indifferent to hockey but was invited to a corporate box for the game about 3 weeks ago and they brought out these bobblehead characters on skates looking like Sir John and Sir Wilf..what no 'dief'. It was cringeworthy in my opinion.
I believe the 4 PM heads were picked based on PM's in office when the (previous) Senators won Stanley Cups. Although I never actually verified that.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 9:12 PM

Not Sens Mile per se but Sens-related and they are going to open the Canadian Tire Centre (CTC) for both Friday games against Montreal for the fans to watch on the big screen.

They did it on Saturday against the Philadelphia Flyers and my understanding is the place was packed.

This is Game 2 Friday April 17th and Game 4 Friday April 24th

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
Not Sens Mile per se but Sens-related and they are going to open the Canadian Tire Centre (CTC) for both Friday games against Montreal for the fans to watch on the big screen.

They did it on Saturday against the Philadelphia Flyers and my understanding is the place was packed.

This is Game 2 Friday April 17th and Game 4 Friday April 24th
I hope they open it up for Game 4 since it's their home playoff game . I think you meant Game 5 because that is what I read earlier too. Cheers.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
When will Mayor Jimbo have some lame bet with the Mayor of Montreal about who will win the series...all over a case of some micro beer or some local food product.
Yep. The bet is smoked meat vs. Beavertails.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...montreal-mayor

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
I hope they open it up for Game 4 since it's their home playoff game . I think you meant Game 5 because that is what I read earlier too. Cheers.
Yes you are right, sorry my bad. I actually bought 2 tickets for Game 6, thinking it's Game 5

I'm hoping the 2 teams will play Game 6 so that I can attend my first NHL Playoff game!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Yes you are right, sorry my bad. I actually bought 2 tickets for Game 6, thinking it's Game 5

I'm hoping the 2 teams will play Game 6 so that I can attend my first NHL Playoff game!
Congrats on snagging some tickets! You'll love the playoff atmosphere at CTC, it's completely different than the regular season.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Congrats on snagging some tickets! You'll love the playoff atmosphere at CTC, it's completely different than the regular season.
Thanks! I'll be cheering for the boys tomorrow somewhere in the Sens Mile (I live in Barrhaven but do go downtown every now and again and hope they win and at least split the upcoming home games so that there will be a Game 6 for me to attend!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Yep. The bet is smoked meat vs. Beavertails.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...montreal-mayor
Cue cheesy photo op with Mayor Jimbo (and Chiarelli hanging around in the background)

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I'll be cheering for the boys tomorrow somewhere in the Sens Mile (I live in Barrhaven but do go downtown every now and again and hope they win and at least split the upcoming home games so that there will be a Game 6 for me to attend!
There you go - another excellent reason to come downtown!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
There you go - another excellent reason to come downtown!
I was at the Sens Mile today, had to wait in the lineup for almost 1 hour to get into McLaren, even though my friends came super early and reserved a seat for me but the bouncer would not budge!

The eye candy is definitely nice and the atmosphere very good with excellent weather in the mix. It was a nice night out (the wife went shopping at Rideau, she had better things to do than watching a hockey game and too bad the Sens lost but it was good to catch up with some friends and soaked in the playoff spirit.

With all that said and call me old (I am approaching 40) but I just don't get the same vibe going here compared to 15-20 years ago when I was in school in my 20's. Not sure if I will go down here on Sunday and next Wed for Game 3 and 4, we shall see!

The Sens got their work cut out for them but I still believe in the boys. Hope I can put my Game 6 tickets to good use!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy