HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 9:26 PM

Gladstone/Kent: what's the area like?

I know there's some rooming houses and this area is known as a bit sketchy, but the house prices seem cheaper (understandably) than the rest of Centretown.

Is this due to the rooming houses? Proximity to the Greyhound station? Or something else?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 9:37 PM

Gladstone and Kent isn't especially sketchy. You have to get quite a ways further south to the Lyon/Bay/Percy and Catherine street area for that.

My guess about that intersection is that the reason it's cheaper is that it's a bit further of a walk for some people but also no rapid public transit.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
Gladstone and Kent isn't especially sketchy. You have to get quite a ways further south to the Lyon/Bay/Percy and Catherine street area for that.

My guess about that intersection is that the reason it's cheaper is that it's a bit further of a walk for some people but also no rapid public transit.

Lyon/Bay/Percy are more or less fine, though yes Catherine St. can be questionable.

As for public transit, the #14 bus runs along Gladstone.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 5:15 PM

I run by there semi-regularly, doesn't look too bad, pretty quiet area. Nice proximity to the grocery store at Bank and Somerset too.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 4:02 AM

I think all those blocks south of Gladstone are a bit cheaper. It gets kind of industrial and you can also hear the 417. A house in there seems like a decent investment as I would think it will all be redeveloped in that section eventually. I would be more hesitant on a condo for the same reason. Lots of developable land.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2016, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
Lyon/Bay/Percy are more or less fine, though yes Catherine St. can be questionable.

As for public transit, the #14 bus runs along Gladstone.
I agree. Sorry for the confusion. I meant more the intersections of Catherine Street with Lyon, Bay and Percy respectively.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion