HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 12:58 PM

where is the bubble field?

noticed the practices for the 2 grey cup teams this week are played indoors under what looks like a temporary (seasonal) dome. Where in Ott is this located? It looks very cool.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 1:20 PM

That one looks like the Gee Gees field near uOttawa.
See photo here:
https://www.geegees.ca/en/sports/tea...k-passing-camp

There's also one at Greenbank and W.Hunt Club.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.32287...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 1:34 PM

And similar ones for winter tennis on Donald Street next to Rideau River.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.42688...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrain View Post
That one looks like the Gee Gees field near uOttawa.
See photo here:
https://www.geegees.ca/en/sports/tea...k-passing-camp

There's also one at Greenbank and W.Hunt Club.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.32287...7i13312!8i6656
And a few others:

-RA Centre near Billings Bridge
-Louis Riel dome near Blackburn Hamlet.
-Fieldhouse at Carleton (not an inflatable dome but similar kind of facility)

And I think there are plans for one at Millenium Park in Orleans as well.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 2:52 PM

They are definitely practicing at the OttawaU football stadium, which is right beside the Queensway where it crosses the Rideau River. The bubble goes up every winter for intramurals etc. It wasn't up last week, so this must have been a just in time delivery for Grey Cup week.

Apparently the teams had the choice to practice outside at Lansdowne or inside at Ottawa U. Looks like they chose the comfortable option. Forecast for gameday is a high of -2.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
They are definitely practicing at the OttawaU football stadium, which is right beside the Queensway where it crosses the Rideau River. The bubble goes up every winter for intramurals etc. It wasn't up last week, so this must have been a just in time delivery for Grey Cup week.

Apparently the teams had the choice to practice outside at Lansdowne or inside at Ottawa U. Looks like they chose the comfortable option. Forecast for gameday is a high of -2.
The Argos and Stampeders are practicing under the Gee-Gees Dome. The dome stays up until sometime in late April. It operates from 7am to midnight. 50% of the time it use for intramural sports, off-season training of inter-university teams and other internal functions. For the remaining time it is rented out to outside groups, with winter indoor soccer leagues being the biggest tenant. It is heavily booked.
The rental fees provide a significant amount of revenue to the university which uses it to defray the costs of operating its department of Sport Services.
uOttawa is currently doing a feasibility study concerning building a major new sport facility. If all goes well, the goal is to get shovels in the ground in five years time, that is sometime in 2022.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
uOttawa is currently doing a feasibility study concerning building a major new sport facility. If all goes well, the goal is to get shovels in the ground in five years time, that is sometime in 2022.
What would be included in that facility? Would it be near the Minto complex?

I thought I saw a plan to expand the football field with bleachers on the highway side of the field.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 3:05 AM

Quote:
What would be included in that facility? Would it be near the Minto complex?

I thought I saw a plan to expand the football field with bleachers on the highway side of the field.
The new building would be on Mann Av. opposite the Minto Sports Complex. The Campus Master Plan (CMP) shows one there, but includes no details. What will be included will develop during the feasibility study. The main thrust though is to have some state -of -the art Basketball/Volleyball courts. The ones at Montpetit Hall are antiquated and the concrete building itself shows signs of being worn out. We are talking about a $100 + project here.
The proposed site is within the TOD area of the Lees Av LRT Station. They can build tall here. That opens up the possibility of a podium with sports facilities and a tower on top (the CMP shows this).. A tower for classrooms or a residence? It also opens the possibility for a 3P with rentals or condos on top. I am speculating and this will be sorted out during the feasibility study. I believe a private consulting firm has been hired to conduct it.

As for the stadium. Some at uOttawa would like to move it to beside the new facility. I doubt it will happen. Upgrades to the stadium seem to be contingent on selling the naming rights to it. They have been trying for some time but have not landed the deal they want. If they do, the current plan states that most of the money will be put into upgrades to the stadium. What I hear most often is that they want to place a sound dampening wall along the highway and add some seating between the field and the wall. Eventually the old outdated Algonquin buildings, that uOttawa inherited with the site, will be torn down. The site will be redeveloped and then things like new modern dressing rooms and sport medicine facilities are a possibility. The CMP even speculates that a boat house for a rowing team facility could be built on the river at that site.

The future of Montpetit Hall is in doubt. It will probably be several years before any decision on what to do with it is made.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 3:36 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
The new building would be on Mann Av. opposite the Minto Sports Complex. The Campus Master Plan (CMP) shows one there, but includes no details. What will be included will develop during the feasibility study. The main thrust though is to have some state -of -the art Basketball/Volleyball courts. The ones at Montpetit Hall are antiquated and the concrete building itself shows signs of being worn out. We are talking about a $100 + project here.
The proposed site is within the TOD area of the Lees Av LRT Station. They can build tall here. That opens up the possibility of a podium with sports facilities and a tower on top (the CMP shows this).. A tower for classrooms or a residence? It also opens the possibility for a 3P with rentals or condos on top. I am speculating and this will be sorted out during the feasibility study. I believe a private consulting firm has been hired to conduct it.

As for the stadium. Some at uOttawa would like to move it to beside the new facility. I doubt it will happen. Upgrades to the stadium seem to be contingent on selling the naming rights to it. They have been trying for some time but have not landed the deal they want. If they do, the current plan states that most of the money will be put into upgrades to the stadium. What I hear most often is that they want to place a sound dampening wall along the highway and add some seating between the field and the wall. Eventually the old outdated Algonquin buildings, that uOttawa inherited with the site, will be torn down. The site will be redeveloped and then things like new modern dressing rooms and sport medicine facilities are a possibility. The CMP even speculates that a boat house for a rowing team facility could be built on the river at that site.

The future of Montpetit Hall is in doubt. It will probably be several years before any decision on what to do with it is made.
Thanks for the details. It would be great to consolidate all of the sports facilities in one area like that (though I do hope that they spend more than $100 on the building!)

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the details. It would be great to consolidate all of the sports facilities in one area like that (though I do hope that they spend more than $100 on the building!)
Ha --I think you can change that to a $100 million plus.

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Nov 29, 2017 at 12:34 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion