HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

View Poll Results: Which would you want to implode?
Bell Switching Building 7 22.58%
Le Breton Flats Phase I and II 4 12.90%
Thomas D'arcy McGee Building (90 Sparks) 3 9.68%
Place de Ville Podium 0 0%
Place de Ville Tower C 3 9.68%
Marriott ByWard Market 4 12.90%
All Marriott Hotels in Ottawa 2 6.45%
66 Slater 0 0%
Novotel City Block 3 9.68%
Other 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 4:37 PM

"Tear me" downs

In recent years, we have seen a lot of buildings torn down left and right in this city. Some tear downs were cause for celebration others were cause for deep sadness

But I thought I would bring up an interesting subject; if you could push a magic button that would implode one building in Ottawa, which building would you like to see tumbling down?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 4:54 PM

Oh no! I forgot to add Claridge Plaza in the poll!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 4:57 PM

From that list the ugliest exterior has to be The Marriot in The Market.

The Place de Ville podium is certainly a big waste of space. A much taller building could be built in its place.

As for the others, they're mostly just plain.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 5:06 PM

I don't see what the big fuss is about the Marriott in the market. It's no architectural gem and I would like for something better and more impressive to take its place but there arent' 56 ways of "building" a 3 story hotel. I don't find it THAT repulsive...

I quote "building" because does anyone know if Marriott was actually the builder and original tenant or is this just an old building in the market that Marriott bought and took over?

How about:
-National Defense Headquarters
-NAC
-Terraces de la chaudieres buildings

C'mon, people...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I don't see what the big fuss is about the Marriott in the market. It's no architectural gem and I would like for something better and more impressive to take its place but there arent' 56 ways of "building" a 3 story hotel. I don't find it THAT repulsive...

I quote "building" because does anyone know if Marriott was actually the builder and original tenant or is this just an old building in the market that Marriott bought and took over?

How about:
-NAC

C'mon, people...
Well, I picked from the list presented.

Your right that the NAC and DND-HQ are pretty ugly too.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 5:21 PM
Citizen-at-large

I voted "other" because it has to be DND Headquarters (and I voted that way before reading the thread).

It won't happen, but that is the building I would destroy with a magic button. What potential that site could have!

Edit: on second thought, Bell Switching Building would have been another good choice. It's the perfect example in how one building can completely destroy an entire city block.

Last edited by Ottawan; Jul 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM. Reason: .

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 5:32 PM

I remember it being a Holiday Inn at one point.

I think that space could be better used. I also think it is a less than stellar looking building. But it is not Ottawa's worst by a long shot.

We have so many ugly buildings to choose from in Ottawa. Place de Ville are truly ugly. I find the Bell building on Elgin ugly.

Most of downtown Ottawa is ugly (except the top of Elgin and the Parliament Sector).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post

How about:
-NAC

C'mon, people...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 5:47 PM

Bell Switching Building... I would demolish it twice... just for case they won't rebuilt it again

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanfromnowhere View Post
Bell Switching Building... I would demolish it twice... just for case they won't rebuilt it again
One of my favourites: 10 Driveway.
20ish storeys of glorious dirty concrete right beside the canal.
Best viewed from MacKenzie King or Laurier bridge.

source: ottawaliving.ca

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
In recent years, we have seen a lot of buildings torn down left and right in this city. Some tear downs were cause for celebration others were cause for deep sadness

But I thought I would bring up an interesting subject; if you could push a magic button that would implode one building in Ottawa, which building would you like to see tumbling down?
National Arts Centre. BOOM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 10:08 PM

I voted "Bell Switching Building" assuming you were referring to Place Bell. In which case, take it down and put something glorious in it's place Although, that parking garage at it's rear (Glouster and Metcalfe) could actually be repurposed - I dig the shape/façade. It's a shame it's just a parking garage...I actually only discovered that fact recently. I always thought it could have been a good performance hall or stadium ...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
I voted "Bell Switching Building" assuming you were referring to Place Bell. In which case, take it down and put something glorious in it's place Although, that parking garage at it's rear (Glouster and Metcalfe) could actually be repurposed - I dig the shape/façade. It's a shame it's just a parking garage...I actually only discovered that fact recently. I always thought it could have been a good performance hall or stadium ...
I'd say replace the parking garage with something much better, but keep Place Bell. I think it's a decent looking building, but will look nice once Tribeca and Performance Court are completed.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanfromnowhere View Post
Once upon a time it was a bit of a deco gem, considering its (literally) utilitarian purpose:

Courtesy Midcenturymodernist /Urbsite
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--0UOIr70OW...nestBarott.jpg

A case study in unsympathetic addition.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
National Arts Centre. BOOM.
Really? Why?

The NAC is a great building that could be made to function better as an institution that embraces its urban condition if it's renewal were put in the hands of a competent architecture firm (and if the NAC and fed's had a bit of imagination). The renewal of the Lincoln Center (Diller and Scofidio) in NYC from a monolithic, anti-urban complex to a dynamic urban institution is another great example of the potential of building off of what is there without constantly erasing and starting from scratch.

http://www.archdaily.com/26062/alice...ro-architects/

Regarding this thread in general; I am much more interested in adaptive reuse then the complete implosion route. Here is a great project in Paris on the refurbishing of a pretty horrible apartment tower -

http://www.druot.net/tbp14

http://www.domusweb.it/en/architectu...-in-paris.html

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 3:18 AM

By the way, are we talking specifically about buildings immediately downtown? Because there are uglier buildings that should be demolished (City Centre, sketchy apartments on Bell/Gladstone), the communist blocks on Laurier, for example.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 3:42 AM

Weird, I love the NAC. I think it's an awesome example of Modernist/Brutalist architecture. I also like DND for the same reasons. I would never like to see more examples of this type built in Ottawa, but I'm glad they are there.

I would hit self-destruct on the RCMP campus at Riverside first. Ironic that the RCMP campus looks like a prison.

Off to bed now but I'm excited to add more to this tomorrow!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
Really? Why?
Blank walls, vile colour, crappy street interaction, traffic-clogging parking garage entrance, wasted canal frontage in one of the few spots where the canal isn't faced with precious, precious, precious, nationally-significant stupid pointless green space.

Quote:
The NAC is a great building that could be made to function better as an institution that embraces its urban condition if it's renewal were put in the hands of a competent architecture firm (and if the NAC and fed's had a bit of imagination).
True. There is nothing wrong with the NAC that a good engineering firm, and about 300 well-placed and well-timed charges, can't fix.

BOOM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
By the way, are we talking specifically about buildings immediately downtown? Because there are uglier buildings that should be demolished (City Centre, sketchy apartments on Bell/Gladstone), the communist blocks on Laurier, for example.
I should have spent more time on the list. City Centre is also one I would like to see disappear for sure. But if I only had one choice, I would pick something Downtown.

The sketchy apartment at Bell and Gladstone is currently being refreshed, so in a year or so, it should be a little less repulsive.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 11:55 AM

The Bell switching building is definitely not a building that is going to get torn down anytime soon, given the contents of it and how difficult they would be to move.

It would however be nice if they could do some sort of reclading, perhaps using fake reflective glass like it is an 80's office building or something to cover the cement - particular the rear portion. Pretend it is an office building.

It doesn't need to be the best looking building in downtown, but if they could at least get it up to average, that would be a massive improvement.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 2:04 PM

By Bell Switching Building.... are we talking about this?
https://maps.google.com/?ll=45.42045...48.9,,0,-22.71

A 78 O'connor street portion doesn't look that bad... As McC mentioned it does have some character... windows I mean

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues