HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 3:10 AM
National Capital Region

http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ne...2016_Sales.pdf

850 Champlain Street, which is
located on the southwest corner of
Champlain Street and Jeanne d’Arc
Boulevard in the Orleans community,
was purchased from Minto Properties
Inc. by 2549386 Ontario Inc. for
$6,780,000 per $412,158 per acre.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 4:18 AM

Looks like they are clearing up this site. Are they going to start building soon?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 3:50 AM

I suspect the answer is "yes". The follow-up question is "what exactly are they building?"

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orleans_man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
What are they doing at the vacant lot between the Orleans Park-and-Ride and Jeanne d'Arc? They seem to be building a north-south road through it. I wasn't able to find anything on the development apps.
I believe it is related to this:

Link
Thanks!

We still don't know what's proposed though?

I wish we could join the park-and-ride with this lot and build something similar to Coeur du Village in Le Plateau. Park-and-ride could be consolidated in a multi-level parking garage between Champlain and the existing pedestrian bridge.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 3:55 PM
National Capital Region

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...97006440782945

May 2019 Update, 850 Champlain St. | Mise à jour, 850, rue Champlain

In April 2019, a tree permit was issued to Revera Inc. for the removal of certain trees to allow for the construction of the new municipal streets as well as site servicing (hydro, sewer and water connections). All tree removal must be reviewed by the City Forester for each block as part of the site plan application process. It is anticipated that the subdivision construction of the new internal streets, sidewalks, services and grading will begin this spring and summer.

Revera Inc., an owner, operator and investor in the senior living sector, purchased the land from The Minto Group and is proceeding towards registration with the same Draft Plan of Subdivision approved in 2014. A change in ownership does not trigger any further notification through the development application process.

The plan of subdivision contains a total of 6 development blocks, 2 linear park blocks and 2 new streets. Famille-Côté Avenue will be accessed from Jeanne d’Arc Boulevard and will connect to the OCTranspo Park and Ride access road. John Holden Way will be a short segment providing access from Champlain Street to the internal street Famille-Côté Avenue. A pedestrian network will be provided with a multi-use pathway through the two linear park blocks and with a sidewalk along both sides of Famille-Côté Avenue. Please note that the demonstration plan provided with the original subdivision application was conceptual only, and has no approval status. Each individual block within this plan of subdivision must go through a site plan approval process.

This property is zoned Mixed Use Centre and is located within a Town Centre designation in the City’s Official Plan. The zone permits a wide variety of uses in this location including but not limited to high density residential, institutional and office/commercial uses with no height limits except where directly abutting a residential zone (existing residential on Du Bois Avenue). Councillor Luloff would like the southern portion of the lands, nearest the Park and Ride, developed taking advantage of the unlimited height allowance to maximize employment space and possible Park and Ride extension.

To date, no site plan control applications within this Plan of Subdivision have been submitted or approved. Construction plans for the site at 850 Champlain Street, such as timelines and what the final build out site will look like, are dependent on the submission and approval of the site plan applications. Once a site plan application is received, an on-site sign will be installed on the subject lands advising members of the public. The site plan approval process requires the applicant to provide detailed plans along with supporting documents and reports. All plans and documents pertaining to a site plan application are made available to members of the public on the City of Ottawa Development Application Search Tool. The site plan application process includes opportunities for current residents in the area to provide their input on the proposed plans. A community information session may take place after a site plan application is submitted by the applicant.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 4:39 PM

Thanks waterloo. Sounds good so far, just as long as the "senior living" aspect isn't the main component.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 11:41 AM
National Capital Region

https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__B8DANJ

Revera Inc. is proposing a 5-storey, 320-bed long term care facility (defined as a residential care facility in the Zoning By-law) with associated landscaped amenity area and surface parking on the subject property

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 12:34 PM

Very disappointing. That site should be master-planned for a complete community, similar to AGORA in Gatineau's Plateau district.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 5:09 PM

Agreed. This site has so much potential. Centrally located, near highway & LRT.

A long term care home is far from an ideal use.

Hopefully, remaining land will go to better uses...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orleans_man View Post
Agreed. This site has so much potential. Centrally located, near highway & LRT.

A long term care home is far from an ideal use.

Hopefully, remaining land will go to better uses...
Totally agree with you guys
What a waste of a prime site

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 7:25 PM

I sent a comment to the City and Councillor expressing my disappointment.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 8:00 PM

Quote:
I sent a comment to the City and Councillor expressing my disappointment.
My understanding is that this application is just the first one out of the gate...wait until the nearby community see the full extent of development plans.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 8:22 PM
National Capital Region

The seniors home is only on part of the site

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Probably another Shoppers Drug Mart and Tim Horton's beside this baby.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 10:47 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

850 Champlain St | 26m | 5f | Proposed

Revera is proposing the development of a five-storey, 320-bed (10,600 m2 Gross Floor Area) Long Term Care Home on the subject property.

The proposed design of the building has been strongly shaped by two factors. The first is the unique and specific operational requirements related to the proposed use. The second major factor influencing the building design is the construction approach. Revera is pursuing modular construction for the proposed development as well as all future Revera projects. In modular construction, building components are constructed in an indoor climate-controlled facility and then transported to site for assembly. This approach has a number of benefits, including stronger quality control, lower cost, and a significantly reduced construction timeline. This construction approach requires a more orthogonal building design.

Architect: MMMC Architects

Siteplan:

Elevations:

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 10:59 PM

Somebody would have to walk me through how those building renders () relate to that site plan. Is this "Block 4" just the first phase of a larger building?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Somebody would have to walk me through how those building renders () relate to that site plan. Is this "Block 4" just the first phase of a larger building?
Block 4 refers to the Block # on a Plan of Subdivision that these otherwise vacant lands are part of. I believe internal roads exist on paper.

Modular construction is proposed. That is quite a large modular building.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemay View Post
Probably another Shoppers Drug Mart and Tim Horton's beside this baby.
They'll need a Michaels and a Swiss Chalet and a buffet restaurant as well

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
It's not the entire site, but a huge chunk smack down in the middle. This prevents any sort of master plan for an urban, pedestrian friendly area. If it was tucked in the corner along Jeanne d'Arc and Bilberry, I wouldn't be quite as upset.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 1:22 PM

Quote:
It's not the entire site, but a huge chunk smack down in the middle. This prevents any sort of master plan for an urban, pedestrian friendly area. If it was tucked in the corner along Jeanne d'Arc and Bilberry, I wouldn't be quite as upset.
I agree. It takes up a huge amount of the frontage along Champlain, but it seems to back onto Champlain. It will be a huge stretch of dead frontage that will inhibit any kind of active, vibrant development along Champlain.

EDIT: Also, I get why they want to go with a modular building, but on a site right in the middle of a MUC along a major road!? If this development was shifted on a site to the west closer to Bilberry I'd be less offended by it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs