HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Tremblay Road isn't really that far from downtown, only 3 stops on the Confederation Line. I don't see anywhere else suitable.

Relocating the station would be a mistake as the station is pretty convenient to most of the East half of the city and with LRT coming, in theory, it becomes more convenient.
Yes, there is only one half to the city.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Interesting that a post-war neighbourhood 3km east of downtown is in the "urban core"
1. Vanier is partly pre- and partly post-war.

2. It has a street grid that is tightly bound to the neighbourhoods on three sides, stitching it as part of the urban core.

3. The city of Ottawa itself considers it to be part of the "inner urban" area.

Quote:
while a post-war neighbourhood 3km southeast of downtown is in the "middle of nowhere."
The train station is not exactly a "neighbourhood", is loosely connected to other low-density, hostile, suburban crap around it, and is physically isolated. "Middle of nowhere" fits.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 6:59 PM

It is 50 years late to be changing the location of the train station.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 7:36 PM

I'm not ruling out the possibility of the train station moving back to old Union. We didn't think we would ever get a transit tunnel downtown, but not only do we have one is under construction, but others are planned where necessary along the Stage 2 O-Train Route. We didn't think we could get a tunnel under King Edward, but we're studying. We didn't think we'd get an NHL arena downtown, but it will likely happen within the next decade.

I'm not saying the train station will move anytime soon, but with rail travel coming back into favour, VIA investing heavily in upgrading their network and with today's environmental consciousness, I'm willing to bet Union will re-open one day. Maybe part of a major bi-centennial project?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I'm not ruling out the possibility of the train station moving back to old Union. We didn't think we would ever get a transit tunnel downtown, but not only do we have one is under construction, but others are planned where necessary along the Stage 2 O-Train Route. We didn't think we could get a tunnel under King Edward, but we're studying. We didn't think we'd get an NHL arena downtown, but it will likely happen within the next decade.

I'm not saying the train station will move anytime soon, but with rail travel coming back into favour, VIA investing heavily in upgrading their network and with today's environmental consciousness, I'm willing to bet Union will re-open one day. Maybe part of a major bi-centennial project?
Via is trying to pitch a Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal service. I'm not sure it would see an advantage in going from a through station to a terminal station (and adding time).

I think there is a reasonable case that it was a mistake to move the station in the first place, but I'm not sure what problem we're trying to solve by moving it back. Unless someone's final destination is the Weston or Chateau Laurier, they're going to have to take transit or drive/cab/uber anyway.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
1. Vanier is partly pre- and partly post-war.

2. It has a street grid that is tightly bound to the neighbourhoods on three sides, stitching it as part of the urban core.

3. The city of Ottawa itself considers it to be part of the "inner urban" area.

The train station is not exactly a "neighbourhood", is loosely connected to other low-density, hostile, suburban crap around it, and is physically isolated. "Middle of nowhere" fits.
1. So is Eastway Gardens/Bannermount.
2. So was the Tremblay area before they bulldozed Avenue A through Avenue H for Riverside and the train station.
3. The city defines the "inner urban" area according to wards, which is pretty arbitrary. Also, the train station is a two minute walk to the inner urban area, so it's all good.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
1. So is Eastway Gardens/Bannermount.
2. So was the Tremblay area before they bulldozed Avenue A through Avenue H for Riverside and the train station.
3. The city defines the "inner urban" area according to wards, which is pretty arbitrary. Also, the train station is a two minute walk to the inner urban area, so it's all good.
Route 97 will go south, and the Confederation Line East-West. If there is not a bus route that will take you north, then there should be. We also need to get a pedestrian access to the Trainyards. I would suggest that Route 9 be extended to the train station from Hurdman and to Eastway Gardens and St. Laurent Shopping Centre.

By the way, we should move further discussion to a more appropriate thread.

Last edited by lrt's friend; Aug 2, 2017 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
It is 50 years late to be changing the location of the train station.
It is 50 years late to be changing the location of the existing train station, yes.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 9:34 PM

Quote:
3. The city defines the "inner urban" area according to wards
Nope. There are only a handful of places where "inner urban" boundaries match ward boundaries, by coincidence:

Mind you, I'm not sure what the city's criteria are for "inner urban"; Alta Vista is archetypically suburban, as are a bunch of areas in the western "inner urban" area (mostly south of Carling) and stuff east of St. Laurent. But it's a rough approximation for the dense, mostly-gridded, main-street-oriented, finely-grained land-usage, largely pre-war built-up areas that constitute my conception of "core".

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 1:16 PM

Back towards topical.... do any of the anti-urban-zipline naysayers wish to re-evaluate their skepticism, I wonder?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 1:20 PM

We went to the CP thing at the Train station yesterday. I guess in theory it would have been interesting, except you couldn't see the train unless you're on the VIP list, so it was basically just a 4th rate neighbourhood festival. This may rival the container yard for worst Canada 150 event.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 1:47 PM

Quote:
We went to the CP thing at the Train station yesterday. I guess in theory it would have been interesting, except you couldn't see the train unless you're on the VIP list, so it was basically just a 4th rate neighbourhood festival. This may rival the container yard for worst Canada 150 event.
What CP thing at the train station?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
What CP thing at the train station?
http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/...to-ottawa.html

https://www.facebook.com/events/125543141337389

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 2:01 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Lighting tests at Chaudière Falls for Ottawa 2017 event

Ottawa Citizen
Published on: September 6, 2017 | Last Updated: September 6, 2017 7:52 PM EDT

It’s not a UFO. It’s just a test.

Ottawa 2017 organizers were to conduct lighting tests around Chaudière Falls on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night and were warning residents not to be alarmed.

The “advanced technical lighting tests” were set to run overnight from 7 p.m. till 7 a.m. in preparation for what Ottawa 2017 calls a “signature event and original concept” called Mìwàte: Illumination of the Chaudière Falls.

The free light and sound show will illuminate the falls and share Indigenous culture.

The name Mìwàte translates to “dazzled by a light or fire” in Anishinaabe, the language of the Algonquin people. Ottawa 2017 says “light will be used to amplify the energy that comes from the water.”

It’s expected to launch in early October.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...awa-2017-event

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 1:44 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Chaudière Falls opens up to the public with new viewing platform, free show

Jacquie Miller, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: October 2, 2017 | Last Updated: October 2, 2017 5:40 PM EDT

For the first time in more than a century, residents of Ottawa and Gatineau will be able to walk to the edge of the Ottawa River’s majestic Chaudière Falls straddling the provincial border and get a good look at the rushing water.

Later this week, the falls will be awash with light and sound with the start of a free nightly show called Mìwàte created to celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday. When the month-long show is over, the new viewing platform will continue to allow the public to get close to one of the region’s most striking natural features.

Public access to Chaudière Falls off Booth Street has been blocked by decades of industrial use of the adjoining islands for paper plants, logging and hydroelectric stations.

The viewing platform is part of a larger transformation of the area that is the heart of Ottawa’s industrial past and a sacred spot for aboriginals for centuries. The controversial billion-dollar Zibi development on Chaudière and Albert Islands and the Gatineau side of the Ottawa River shoreline will add condos, townhouses, stores, offices, plazas, parks and bike paths in the coming years.

Mìwàte is a tribute to Indigenous people, created in collaboration with the Algonquins of Pikwàkanagàn First Nation. Representatives from local Métis and Inuit communities were also consulted.

Don’t expect a typical sound-and-light show, says Ottawa 2017 director Guy Laflamme. Lights illuminating the falls will be accompanied by a “soundscape” of original music, including drumming, melodic chanting, flutes and the whispers of aboriginal youths reciting in Anishinaabe, the language of the Algonquin people.

“I don’t want to sound esoteric, but it will be pretty close to a spiritual experience on site,” he predicts. “We want to create this communion between the falls and the spectators, and get people to better appreciate and understand why this is considered a sacred site for Indigenous people.

“We see this as one more element in the reconciliation with Indigenous people.”

Laflamme says Mìwàte will be a “great legacy” that he recommends the city continue in years to come. Ottawa 2017, the agency responsible for planning city events to celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday, sponsored the $700,000 show with Hydro Ottawa.

Mìwàte, which means “dazzled by a light or fire”, was created by Moment Factory, the edgy company that produced Kontinuum, the hit light show staged in the half-constructed underground LRT tunnel last summer.

Laflamme said the creators rejected cliché and “decided to go with a more modern, upbeat and at times techno version of Indigenous music, integrating voices and words.”

The score includes a haunting song from the Wildflowers, a group of teenaged female drummers and singers recorded live at Pikwàkanagàn, near Golden Lake, and “enlivened with all the multimedia tricks we could,” says soundscape co-ordinator Vincent Letellier. There is also a couple of songs from Ottawa super-group A Tribe Called Red, whose raw power is the perfect complement to the sight of the water flowing down the falls, he says.

The Mìwàte experience begins just north of the Canadian War Museum on Booth Street with a series of 13 panels — a nod to both the 13 scales on a turtle’s back and the number of moons in the Indigenous calendar — that explore the Indigenous history of the area.

“We wanted to make sure this was not a whitewash of history,” says Laflamme. One of the panels explains that the Algonquins and their ancestors have lived in the Ottawa Valley for 10,500 years, with their own governance, spirituality, trade networks and abundant natural resources. When Europeans arrived 500 years ago, they brought disease, governance based on “expansion and exploitation” and “programs of Indigenous cultural genocide,” which had a devastating effect on Indigenous people, the panel says.

There will be fire pits burning cedar. As spectators cross a footbridge and walk toward the falls, they will hear sound from all sides, and be immersed in smoke and light, says Laflamme. The lights will include “cool special effects.”

“It will be light years away from the static — no disrespect to Niagara Falls — but it will be a totally different kind of experience,” explains Laflamme. “It will be dynamic.”

The viewing platform, built by Hydro Ottawa as part of an expansion of its hydroelectric generating station, offers an unobstructed view of the falls, says Laflamme. “We’ve all seen the falls from the Chaudière Bridge, but when you get to have access right on the edge, it’s quite a dramatic, spectacular experience.”

To help visitors imagine the wildness of the falls before a dam was built around them in 1910 to divert water to power stations, there will be no lights on the dam during the show.

“We get you to almost forgot that there is a dam. The projections, the lighting, is really focusing on the falls and the limestone outcrop. We want to celebrate the natural beauty and reduce as much as possible the visibility of the dam.”

The 10- to 15-minute production will repeat in a loop. The entire experience, including viewing the panels and walking to the viewing platform, will take 30 to 40 minutes, estimates Laflamme.

It hasn’t been decided how much longer the viewing area will remain open as winter approaches. Spray from the falls could make the concrete walkways icy. But the platform will be open next spring, says Hydro Ottawa spokesman Daniel Séguin.

Mìwàte

When & where: Oct. 6 to Nov. 5 at Chaudière Falls, 3 Booth St., just north of the Canadian War Museum
Show times: 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. from Oct. 6 to 22; 6:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. from Oct. 23 to Nov. 5

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...form-free-show

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 3:18 AM

Are they opening that foot bridge behind War Museum for good?
How long has it been closed for?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 10:39 PM
Busy Beaver

I went to this last night. Kinda meh especially with the huge crowd. I might go out again once the hype has died down. I think it will be a bit like how Kontinuum was more relaxing later when you could take all the time you wanted.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 4:04 AM

I was literally the very first person in line for the opening last night! I was awestruck, it exceeded all my expectations. The sound aspect of the show was very impressive. I can't wait to visit when it is less busy. I managed to pull off this shot, which wasn't easy without a tripod!
[IMG]IMG_6350_DxO by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 10:08 AM

WOW! Awesome photo. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I was literally the very first person in line for the opening last night! I was awestruck, it exceeded all my expectations. The sound aspect of the show was very impressive. I can't wait to visit when it is less busy. I managed to pull off this shot, which wasn't easy without a tripod.
Great shot. I thought there would be more water though. It looks like there's barely any water flowing. Chaudiere is most impressive when the falls are rushing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation