HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 3:24 AM

QUESTION: What does Antalya, Turkey, Springfield, Missouri and RiNo, Denver have in common?

ANSWER: A (soon to be) Vib Hotel (pronounced “vibe”). It's a boutique hotel concept by Best Western Hotels and Resorts coming to 3560 Brighton Blvd.

Last I heard not even wong knew this.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...otel-rino.html

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 1:54 PM
Landbarge Captain

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/09/1...ce-space-boom/

Quote:
“The last time Downtown Denver saw a four-year run of robust absorption, totaling approximately 1 million square feet per year, was in the early 1980s,” Newmark Knight Frank’s Sam DePizzol said in statement, “when the Denver skyline essentially delivered.”
This is probably a good sign for Tabor 2 and might mean we get some other large office buildings in the next few years if office absorption continues at the same pace

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 4:07 PM

VF Corp. reveals its new downtown Denver home
Sep 18, 2018 By Kelcey McClung – Denver Business Journal
Quote:
Outdoor apparel giant VF Corp. has found its next camp. VF Corp. (NYSE: VFC) will move into 1551 Wewatta St. and occupy all ten floors, totaling about 285,000 square feet.

VF Corp. signed a 12-year lease for the building. Renovations will begin in early 2019, and are expected to be completed in early 2020. The building has an estimated capacity of 1,200 people, giving the company room to expand beyond the 800 roles it expects to employ in Denver over the next eight years, according a press release.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
VF Corp. reveals its new downtown Denver home
Sep 18, 2018 By Kelcey McClung – Denver Business Journal
Wow -- 12 year lease. Guess this means they aren't going to build their own?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:06 AM

Fencing is up around the Rockies West lot.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:18 AM

10th and Acoma. Looks great but I doubt it is the final design.

http://sararch.com/projects/in-progress/10th-acoma/

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 1:48 AM

^^ Ah, that's LMC/Lennar's project. I'm relatively impressed with their urban projects; even their Big Boat on Welton street is better than I anticipated it would be.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 2:59 AM

Lennar has a 16 story tower next to that one proposed as a second phase. It’s where the former Denver Health building is at 10th & Bannock.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:35 AM

Wonder where Slack will end up... Tabor 2 or Block 162?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post
The remainder of 16 Chestnut:

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...-chestnut.html

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post
Slack inks downtown Denver lease for new office to house 'hundreds'
Sep 18, 2018 By Kelcey McClung and Monica Vendituoli – Denver Business Journal
Quote:
Slack Technologies has signed a lease in downtown Denver.

"Slack’s Denver office will be located in the LoDo district in Downtown Denver," a Slack spokesperson said. "We’ve officially signed a lease for a space at 16 Chestnut."
Remind me...
Quote:
Anchored by DaVita's global headquarters, 16 Chestnut is a 19-story, 410,000-square-foot building adjacent to the light-rail station at Chestnut Place and 17th streets. It is a joint project of East West Partners, Invesco Real Estate and Gensler.

Slack's office will be less than two blocks from VF Corp.'s freshly announced home at 1551 Wewatta St. VF Corp. will occupy all ten floors of the building that most recently housed Gates.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:17 AM
mmmm... infillicious!

The degree to which downtown Denver and adjacent districts like RiNo are drawing tech firms from suburban areas and from out of state is quite remarkable. The "go downtown" movement, which certainly has been a thing since we came out of the recession, seems to have accelerated in the past year or two to a whole new level.

This is a fun website to play around with:

https://www.cyberstates.org/

According to their data, Colorado has 285,300 tech workers (Washington state has 363,500, Utah has 135,500, Arizona has 237,100) and of that, Denver metro has 173,900 workers--which does not even include Boulder County, clearly a tech hotspot.

Anyway, employment growth in downtown--particularly tech--has been remarkable this real estate cycle. In past booms, it seemed that most of the office leasing action in downtown was firms moving around within downtown from building to building. This cycle, there is clearly a big in-migration of jobs to Downtown, with new office development to match.

Just these two announcements of VF Corp. and Slack is over 300,000 SF of net absorption in one day. That's pretty amazing.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
The degree to which downtown Denver and adjacent districts like RiNo are drawing tech firms from suburban areas and from out of state is quite remarkable. The "go downtown" movement, which certainly has been a thing since we came out of the recession, seems to have accelerated in the past year or two to a whole new level.

This is a fun website to play around with:

https://www.cyberstates.org/

According to their data, Colorado has 285,300 tech workers (Washington state has 363,500, Utah has 135,500, Arizona has 237,100) and of that, Denver metro has 173,900 workers--which does not even include Boulder County, clearly a tech hotspot.

Anyway, employment growth in downtown--particularly tech--has been remarkable this real estate cycle. In past booms, it seemed that most of the office leasing action in downtown was firms moving around within downtown from building to building. This cycle, there is clearly a big in-migration of jobs to Downtown, with new office development to match.

Just these two announcements of VF Corp. and Slack is over 300,000 SF of net absorption in one day. That's pretty amazing.
It makes me hopeful that Tabor 2 will deliver. Heck with all of this news, I wonder if there's a chance they'd go for more height. Allow me to channel my inner Matt--it surprises me that we've only seen one new tower during this cycle which has made an impact on the skyline. Union Station and Lodo have the hottest parts of downtown for office construction, and both areas have height restrictions. Perhaps the next cycle will see attention shift toward upper downtown and we might see something more vertical.

Which reminds me of this image I came across through Nextdoor. It's related to the Sherman rezoning (which of course many of my neighbors are against).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post

I've felt the acceleration over the last three years in Denver tech growth.

There has been just a ton of post-recession tech growth driven substantially by growth in the 'cloud' and it seems there's endless software application opportunities. Tech expansion has become an urban/millennial thing everywhere since the recession as well.

Phoenix which has always had a significant hardware industry in suburban Chandler has seen lots of tech back office/support expansion in urban areas of Tempe and Scottsdale. Interestingly, the more innovative software and coworking space is choosing downtown Phoenix.

In any case, Denver's strength has become a combination of diversity and tech growth. VF Corp and Slack are but one day's proof positive.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:33 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
It makes me hopeful that Tabor 2 will deliver.
Now now... Let's not celebrate the end of the development cycle quite yet.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:23 PM

[QUOTE=Denver;8319040]10th and Acoma. Looks great but I doubt it is the final design.

Interesting the amount of brick used for a non-lodo location. Hopefully they break up the podium along the longer portion a little more (a la Market Street Station). I kinda like the wood grain-esque panels with glass pop-out sections.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 7:23 PM
cities|transit|croissants

All right, everyone who complains about Streetsblog & David Sachs:

Sachs is leaving and Streetsblog is hiring a new editor

Apply for the job and do it better, if you can.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Let's not celebrate the end of the development cycle quite yet.
:like:

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 2:30 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
All right, everyone who complains about Streetsblog & David Sachs:

Sachs is leaving and Streetsblog is hiring a new editor

Apply for the job and do it better, if you can.
How much does a yellow journalism website editor for a niche interest pay? Can't imagine it's much more than what one gets pulling tricks on Colfax.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 2:50 PM

Probably equivalent to a teacher. It's a real full time job, though obviously not a super lucrative one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West