HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 9:12 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPT View Post
Neighbors are upset that he will not allow it to remain a park, which is what it was until park visitors sued him.
It was never a park. It was just an open site with a nice fence. The owner decided not to be a dick so he didn't kick people off of his property when they wanted to walk their dogs. Then some yuppie twisted their ankle on a tree root or something and sued the owner, at which point he obtained insurance to cover his ass and then started kicking trespassers out.

I've got a vacant lot down the street from me where I've seen some homeless guys drinking 40s... the owner didn't shoo them away, does that make it a bar?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 3:10 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It was never a park. It was just an open site with a nice fence. The owner decided not to be a dick so he didn't kick people off of his property when they wanted to walk their dogs. Then some yuppie twisted their ankle on a tree root or something and sued the owner, at which point he obtained insurance to cover his ass and then started kicking trespassers out.

I've got a vacant lot down the street from me where I've seen some homeless guys drinking 40s... the owner didn't shoo them away, does that make it a bar?
This is what happens when you try to be a good neighbor. Such a shame that a guy gets sued for that. The proposed development looks very nice though.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 1:30 PM

Tennis: Where are the plans posted?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 1:40 PM

Tennis,

I was looking through your Tumblr and noticed a few plans and renders for several new schools in the area. Would you happen to have or know where I can find the plans and renders for the new Edna Karr High School facility?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 4:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
Tennis,

I was looking through your Tumblr and noticed a few plans and renders for several new schools in the area. Would you happen to have or know where I can find the plans and renders for the new Edna Karr High School facility?
Has it applied for any approvals yet ? If not it isn't public yet !! Plans are posted on my tunblr .... It's more of a schematic .. I'll post on here the schematics later

Heres the schematics for the constance project:

What a shame he loss of the original building that was there though.. was a gorgeous building!

BTW guys feel free to link stories or photos from my tumblr page here(just give proper credit). I woud post it but it just takes too much time.

Last edited by tennis1400; Aug 5, 2014 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Has it applied for any approvals yet ? If not it isn't public yet !! Plans are posted on my tunblr .... It's more of a schematic .. I'll post on here the schematics later
Well, that may not be for a while...

http://www.louisianaweekly.com/bids-...l-scrutinized/

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 1:59 AM

State Palace Theater

Developer purchases State Palace Theater on Canal

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/Deve...270085081.html

This. Is. Big.

So now it's official. Does anyone know anything about this developer? In my perfect world, in addition to renovating the building, he'd put 20 stories on top camel-back style...

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Developer purchases State Palace Theater on Canal

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/Deve...270085081.html

This. Is. Big.

So now it's official. Does anyone know anything about this developer? In my perfect world, in addition to renovating the building, he'd put 20 stories on top camel-back style...
I know Gregor Fox owns several rental properties in the Marigny, as well as the space that the Frenchmen Street Art Market occupies every night. From what I understand about him through a second hand source (I live in the Marigny these days), he's a good guy with an understanding and respect for New Orleans' historical character, but is also pro-development.

I think he'll do things right, but the retail (rental income) happens first like he says in the article and the theater comes after when he has the additional money to finance it.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 3:53 PM
life is good

That sounds good. Improving retail there seems like a positive.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...l#incart_river
Quote:
New Orleans continues its post-Katrina recovery as new statistics from the Census Bureau show a 10 percent increase in the city's population from 2010 to 2013.

That ranks New Orleans as the 16th fastest growing city out of 714 U.S. cities with more than 50,000 people, according to a new report by the Data Center.

During this three-year period, the number of households receiving mail increased by 17,773 with only four out of 72 neighborhoods experiencing a decrease in population.

The communities hit hardest by Hurricane Katrina grew the fastest; Holy Cross, Lakeview, the Lower 9th Ward, Pontchartrain Park and Pines Village experienced increases close to or more than 30 percent.

The four neighborhoods that lost population include the Garden District, Behrman, McDonogh and U.S. Naval Support Area.

Out of New Orleans' 72 neighborhoods, 38 have recovered 90 percent of their population since the storm and 17 have exceeded their pre-Katrina numbers.

The city grew an additional 1.2 percent since 2013.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 6:27 PM
TL;DR

Weird. I wonder why the Garden District lost population. Is the decline statistically significant?

There is a phenomenon where gentrifying neighborhoods actually lose population because housing units get larger (double shotguns become singles) and household sizes go down (fewer kids) but I never thought this would apply to New Orleans because there's so many vacant buildings that don't have any population to start with.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Weird. I wonder why the Garden District lost population. Is the decline statistically significant?

There is a phenomenon where gentrifying neighborhoods actually lose population because housing units get larger (double shotguns become singles) and household sizes go down (fewer kids) but I never thought this would apply to New Orleans because there's so many vacant buildings that don't have any population to start with.
According to the underlying GNOCDC Report, it was a loss of 0.7%. I would imagine it was either the reason you state, or that post-Katrina, the Garden District was at near 100% occupancy with people displaced from other neighborhoods, and as other areas rebuilt, naturally a small amount of vacancies started to open up. I think the other areas with losses -- Behrman, McDonough, Naval Support, i.e., similarly largely unflooded areas -- probably experienced the same phenomenon.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
According to the underlying GNOCDC Report, it was a loss of 0.7%. I would imagine it was either the reason you state, or that post-Katrina, the Garden District was at near 100% occupancy with people displaced from other neighborhoods, and as other areas rebuilt, naturally a small amount of vacancies started to open up. I think the other areas with losses -- Behrman, McDonough, Naval Support, i.e., similarly largely unflooded areas -- probably experienced the same phenomenon.
I think at least in the case of the Naval neighborhood, it's partially a result of the servicemen moving to Belle Chasse.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 7:37 PM
Show me the blueprints

Loews State

Regardless of what might go on top, i hope they recreate the original marquee structures exactly how they were:

)()()()(

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 8:00 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Regardless of what might go on top, i hope they recreate the original marquee structures exactly how they were:

)()()()(
That sign must come back... its too cool. And I agree that he is smart to focus on the retail right away. it also sounded like he plans to have the venue operating even while its undergoing restoration at some point. Since it wont be hosting the orchestra this isn't such a big deal... they are usually the most concerned with perfect acoustics and they will be occupying the Orpheum.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 8:31 PM
-

Quote:

These days going through permits.. almost every other one is converting a double to a single so you are more than likely correct on that.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 2:45 PM

Quote:
These days going through permits.. almost every other one is converting a double to a single so you are more than likely correct on that.
This is exactly why the city needs to be pro-development for mid/high-rises on the river and major streets. This phenomenon makes us lose density and rental housing for middle class residents. Similar things happen in other cities but they allow for more apartments to be built on major streets, etc.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 2:49 PM
-

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
This is exactly why the city needs to be pro-development for mid/high-rises on the river and major streets. This phenomenon makes us lose density and rental housing for middle class residents. Similar things happen in other cities but they allow for more apartments to be built on major streets, etc.
Agreed ... Good thing is some of the conversions downtown will be geared towards working class as well... Will help keep luxury market from being oversupplied and will bring more density which we always need. I read the full draft czo and I think on the whole it's a very good document . Especially when it comes to parking ... Much less onerous then it is today

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Agreed ... Good thing is some of the conversions downtown will be geared towards working class as well... Will help keep luxury market from being oversupplied and will bring more density which we always need. I read the full draft czo and I think on the whole it's a very good document . Especially when it comes to parking ... Much less onerous then it is today
Right. The new CZO really is fantastic but a major problem is the entrenchment of homeowners associations that think they are the sole speakers for neighborhoods. Some of these people literally think they can determine what type of business is allowed on a parcel despite its being allowed by current zoning laws!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 6:23 PM
life is good

40 Arpent Brewing part of parish revival of historic town
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...rewing-part-of
Quote:
tainless steel tanks with the capacity to ferment 45 barrels a month dominate the 6,000-square-foot warehouse in Old Arabi. Sacks of Pilsen malt from Canada, Best Red malt from Germany and Camellia Red Kidney Beans from Louisiana are piled high next to Naquin’s desk.

“If you drink coffee, you will absolutely love this beer,” Naquin said, offering a sample of his signature Milk Stout. “It tastes like café au lait.”

The 4-month-old microbrewery, at 6809 N. Peters St., already has three beers on draft at 42 locations across New Orleans, Metairie, Slidell and Houma. From his brewery, Naquin can even catch a glimpse of one of his outlets.

“There goes the Natchez,” Naqu...

[Once he decided to start his own brewery, friends suggested St. Bernard Parish as a home base, and Parish Councilman Ray Lauga was a strong advocate.

“We’re trying to revive Old Arabi and get new businesses,” Lauga said. The parish has approved a $1.1 million beautification plan for St. Claude Avenue and wants new businesses to be part of the area’s revitalization and recovery from Hurricane Katrina.

“Before the storm, St. Bernard was all about independent, family-owned businesses, and we lost a lot of that,” said Terry Saucier, a lifelong Arabi resident who hopes the brewery can jumpstart change.

It was a foregone conclusion that Naquin would christen the brewery in honor of a local landmark, the old 40 Arpent Canal, named for the unit of land measure from the French colonial era.

“I love that they named it after 40 Arpents, which is a big part of the St. Bernard culture,” Hebert said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Truth.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 6:29 PM
life is good

N.O. population still growing, but more slowly
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...ll-growing-but
Quote:
That figure squares pretty closely with the most recent figures from the U.S. Census Bureau, which estimated the city’s population in July 2013 at 378,715. That’s 83 percent of the pre-Katrina estimate of 454,865.

If the 1.2 percent growth rate in households measured by the data center were applied to people, the city’s population would now stand at 383,260.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations