HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 8:31 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Just Traxx, one of the best restaurants in LA. And Olvera St. is closeby. But seriously, I think it was a combination of a percieved bad location and over-zealous asking prices that doomed this project as a condo project. Hopefully it does well as a rental.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danparker276
Who would want to live next to the train station anyway?
Pay 600k to have the trains wake you up at 6am every morning?
I don't even think there are any restaurants within a 5 min walk from there.
I would wager the trains are quieter than the MTA buses that run through the rest of Downtown.

Axis is immediately adjacent to Phillipe's and Olvera Street, which has a good collection of both sit-down and quick Mexican food. It's two blocks from the Spring Street Smokehouse (BBQ) and your 5-minute window would catch most of Chinatown.

That said, I agree that the location was wrong for the price. From what I wrote on blogdowntown this morning:

When I look at Axis I see a very property that shares more fundamentals with the Puerta Del Sol TOD in Lincoln Heights than it does with other Downtown condos. That development is structured for workforce housing, with units selling in the $200 - $300,000 range. Axis was trying to get $600,000 for similar construction two Gold Line stops closer to Downtown.

http://blogdowntown.com/blog/2324

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 8:48 PM
I just ran out of B***sht

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee
^ Just Traxx, one of the best restaurants in LA. And Olvera St. is closeby. But seriously, I think it was a combination of a percieved bad location and over-zealous asking prices that doomed this project as a condo project. Hopefully it does well as a rental.
Now if this was re-designed as an inn or hotel right next to a bust train station that might be a draw to it. But unfortunately the vision or common sense wasn't there.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 8:57 PM

^ That sound of the train is what some people might enjoy to be the sound of a "city at work." Plus, I think the developers installed sound insulating windows that should make living next to the tracks a pleasant experience.

I was more concerned about Axis not having retail spaces and being so close by to the Twin Towers County Jail.

Union Station was built in the wrong place, out in the downtown boondocks. However, I am VERY glad to see that El Pueblo is now finishing up a beautiful little plaza across the street from Union Station! The plaza used to be only loading docks (or something) which made absolutely no sense fronting such a busy street such as Alameda. Now, it's a beautiful plaza that is attractive to those exiting Union Station's front door and connecting it well to Olvera Street.

Does anyone have a picture of it? I'll try to get one sometime.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch
I think a lot of ppl still get nervous dealing with many hoods in LA because they continue to see them as mostly rundown places that only poor ppl, college students or childless urban hipsters can tolerate on a daily basis.
And to put something in perspective they'll be just like that Times writer who wanted Downtown to keep it real. But left Downtown because he couldn't raise a family. What things if you had kids are important to you to make sure they thrive? Schools, Playgrounds, and safe streets. Sounds sort of suburban but that's a quality of life issue that effects everyone.

Quote:
And parks & playgrounds per se aren't going to be too helpful if they're like Pershing Sq, which often becomes the home away from home for a lot of homeless ppl or criminal types. But a lot more of a police presence would help areas throughout the hood. However, the situation in parts of DT is so unhinged, & legal & political challenges create so many roadblocks to dealing with thousands of drifters & the mentally ill, that simply pouring more $$ into the LAPD, or social services too, prob won't be enough.
Pershing Square is the extreme case which is so shitty in its design. Garbage in, Garbage out.

But for a park I'm thinking a simple area of green grass, trees, benches, a spot for a garden, maybe a public art feature like a fountain, sculpture, obelisk. And if this includes a playground, you open up the possiblity for a new residents can have a nearby place for their future kids to play, and give the LAPD a direct location for them to protect because of the children. Something that the burbs seem to awful good supply of compared to the city.

So how do you fix the problem? Notice in my describing what could work for Downtown, I didn't isolate it to just Downtown but to other interurban areas of the city. It's also percieved investment plays a factor into it. If a city takes care of basic services then more than likely businesses will invest in that area.

Quote:
It will be interesting if so called gentrification hits a wall in the next several yrs & burbanization becomes dominant all over again, or if the ppl on the other side of that "wall" (ppl in search of the lowest priced rents & housing) end up moving elsewhere, as what is happening in cities like NYC or SF, where more of those cities' residents today are better educated with higher incomes.
It would be interesting. Because with LA it begs the question would history repeat itself... Again.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalVisionary
Pershing Square is the extreme case which is so shitty in its design. Garbage in, Garbage out.
There was a thread in this forum several months ago about Pershing Sq compared with Union Sq in SF. Although the design of Pershing isn't perfect, I think the problems with that area go far beyond the issue of its architecture, landscaping & layout alone.

I don't think the redesigned Union Sq looks all that great, as it now has a lot of concrete surfaces, & where quite a few of its original trees were torn out. Nonetheless, it's become a far more acceptable spot for crowds of ppl in that city.

Then there's the example of Pete's Cafe on 4th St. It's a perfectly well designed restaurant, but that didn't prevent a crazed homeless guy from storming in there several wks ago & creating a big, even frightening, ruckus with diners.

Quote:
It would be interesting. Because with LA it begs the question would history repeat itself... Again.
I think the city remains vulnerable to burbanization, because unlike NYC or SF, hoods in LA like DTLA never were too popular, magnetic, or greatly respected to begin with. That's why I think maintaining a lot of momentum is far more important for a city like LA than at least a select handful of others.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:
[/b]There was a thread in this forum several months ago about Pershing Sq compared with Union Sq in SF. Although the design of Pershing isn't perfect, I think the problems with that area go far beyond the issue of its architecture, landscaping & layout alone.

I don't think the redesigned Union Sq looks all that great, as it now has a lot of concrete surfaces, & where quite a few of its original trees were torn out. Nonetheless, it's become a far more acceptable spot for crowds of ppl in that city.

Then there's the example of Pete's Cafe on 4th St. It's a perfectly well designed restaurant, but that didn't prevent a crazed homeless guy from storming in there several wks ago & creating a big, even frightening, ruckus with diners.
That may be true to some extent, but one of the differences between Pershing Square and Union Square is it's access and how it opens itself with the surroundings, the surroundings become an extention of the plaza where as Pershing is the exact opposite. Your taking it from aesthetic value rather than an a fundamental functional one, which is fine. It was designed with a bunker mentality too many walls and nooks and crannies for anyone to feel comfortable in and the scale of seating in relation to the spaces looks good for Architecture Digest but not for people. I mean there's homeless intruding in on eateries on the 3rd Street Promenade (I've witnessed a couple) but that doesn't kill the overall feel of the space because of it's comfortable accessiblity.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2006, 10:53 PM
I enjoy discussing issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalVisionary
That may be true to some extent, but one of the differences between Pershing Square and Union Square is it's access and how it opens itself with the surroundings, the surroundings become an extention of the plaza where as Pershing is the exact opposite. Your taking it from aesthetic value rather than an a fundamental functional one, which is fine. It was designed with a bunker mentality too many walls and nooks and crannies for anyone to feel comfortable in and the scale of seating in relation to the spaces looks good for Architecture Digest but not for people. I mean there's homeless intruding in on eateries on the 3rd Street Promenade (I've witnessed a couple) but that doesn't kill the overall feel of the space because of it's comfortable accessiblity.
Perhaps the difference is that there is higher class retail at union square, and not the kind that can be found at every mall around the bay area. What surrounds pershing square? Multiple parking lots, retail at the biltmore that closes at 3PM...and there obviously aren't any homeless in union square, because if there were they would have to fence it off until the homeless all forgot about it...

Old Posted Sep 7, 2006, 1:16 AM

The face of Little Tokyo is changing

Luisa Iam and Clement Ho eat at Mitsuwa Marketplace on Alameda Street in Little Tokyo,
an enclave that remains important to the Japanese community. (Alexander Gallardo/LAT)

By Valentina Cardenas And Gayle Pollard-Terry, Times Staff Writers
September 3, 2006

Little Tokyo, considered by many outsiders only a destination for food and festivals, is also becoming a hot place to call home. The downtown housing boom has brought upscale condos, which are attracting affluent professionals, artists and seniors. The newcomers reflect the region's diversity, but the neighborhood's importance to the Japanese community shouldn't be underestimated.

Japanese immigrants began moving into the area, which was once a citrus grove, in the 1880s. They established restaurants, grocery stores, businesses and churches that welcomed those who spoke Japanese. By the start of World War II, the population had swelled to 30,000 Japanese and Japanese Americans in and around Little Tokyo, which occupied three square miles. After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and the U.S. declaration of war against Japan, President Roosevelt authorized the forced relocation of anyone of Japanese ancestry on the West Coast to internment camps. As the homes and businesses of Little Tokyo emptied, African Americans moved in — jazz great Charlie Parker once lived there — and the area became known as Bronzeville.

When the war ended, Japanese Americans returned. But many soon discovered suburbia and left the area. That exodus, coupled with 1960s community redevelopment, reduced Little Tokyo to its present-day four square blocks bounded by Los Angeles, Temple, Alameda and 3rd streets.

What it's about

Primarily a cultural and commercial district, Little Tokyo boasts restaurants, markets and shops that specialize in Japanese foods and products, but the neighborhood draws tourists and shoppers from all over. For the last few years, Little Tokyo has been home to about 1,000 people, mostly Japanese American senior citizens. But the demographics are beginning to change and the population is swelling as the new condos lure whites, Latinos and a large number of Koreans to the buildings.

"Up until two years ago, most of the residents were senior and low income. Almost every new resident coming in now … can afford high-end rentals and high-end condos," said Bill Watanabe, director of the Little Tokyo Service Center. Seven condo and apartment projects under development are expected to more than double the current population of about 1,500 in two years, he said.

Good news, bad news

Hovig Hovaguimian, a chef who owns a catering business, bought and moved into a two-bedroom, two-bathroom loft in the Savoy in April. "I have been living in California for 30 years," said the former Glendale resident. "For the first time, I leave my home and walk to lunch or dinner."

John Kim and his wife, Annie, own a home near Fullerton, but they decided to buy a three-bedroom, two-bath condo in the Savoy because of its location on the corner of 1st and Alameda streets. "I run a garment manufacturing business. It's very close to my business. I drive, but it's less than a mile away," Kim said. He also likes the shopping. "There is a market in very close walking distance, a lot of shops and restaurants."

One of the biggest concerns of business owners and residents is nearby skid row, with its crime problems and concentration of homeless people. Some low-performing public schools also discourage many families who could afford the new housing, said Jim Perabo, an agent with Condosource, a boutique real estate brokerage firm that specializes in L.A. condos and lofts. He says the quality is being addressed, and three schools are under construction. "When an urban area is revitalized, typically the first people to move in are younger singles and professionals. The families follow," Perabo said.

Insiders' view

Brian Kito's grandfather started the family business, Fugetsu-Do Sweet Shop, in 1903. The confectionary store on East 1st Street sells Japanese treats, both retail and wholesale. A second shop is on Alameda. Kito also lives in Little Tokyo. Although he likes the friendly community, he plans to move to Monterey Park, where his son, now 5, will attend school.

Marion Kawamoto, 86, has lived in Little Tokyo for 20 years. Her condo is for sale because family members insisted she move nearer to them in Chino Hills. "I love it here," she said.

Housing stock

In Tokyo Villa, the first condominium complex built in the area, in 1985, three of 167 condos are on the market, ranging from a one-bedroom, one-bathroom, 848-square-foot unit listed at $400,000 to a two-bedroom, two-bathroom, 1,087-square-foot unit listed for $525,000.

The 303 units in the Savoy went on sale in December and are sold out. Prices ranged from $281,000 for a 504-square-foot studio to $820,000 for a three-bedroom, two-bathroom unit in 1,226 square feet.

At Little Tokyo Lofts, which started selling in January, units range from 650 to 1,400 square feet. Prices for lofts with downtown views range from the mid-$300,000s to $750,000. Currently, 70 of 161 units are available.

New condos, such as the Little Tokyo Lofts on San Pedro Street, are drawing a diverse
population to the neighborhood.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2006, 5:13 AM

The location at Union Station is much better than the Lincoln Heights location. I can see where people would pay significantly more to live in DTLA...maybe even twice as much.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2006, 5:48 PM

Here is an update on the City House/ Olympic combo:

http://www.rentv.com/index.cgi?p=rea...News_Headlines

In other towering development news from LA’s CBD that’s been floating around for the past few months, a local developer has proposed to build two of the tallest condo high-rises in the country on a site at the southeast corner of Olympic Blvd and Grand Ave. Rodmark, an entity led by investor Rod Wolterman and RE attorney Jerry Brown, are teaming up with architect Richardson Robertson III of Robertson Partners to construct a $500 mil development consisting of 60-story and a 50-story towers.

The 60-story skyscraper, called City House, would contain 180 condos, while the 50-story building, the Olympic, would offer 150 units. A mix of restaurants and retail at street level would run between the towers. The City House would be geared toward the more affluent buyer, while the Olympic, containing smaller units, would be directed to a younger buyer.

The developers are still awaiting city approval and have yet to lock in financing for the project.

Last edited by Steve2726; Sep 8, 2006 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2006, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2726
and have yet to lock in financing for the project.

That's not too reassuring, esp since one of the ppl involved with the devlpt said the following back in April:

Quote:
Financing is being arranged through New York-based Ackman-Ziff Real Estate Group LLC. Brown said the financing hasn't closed, but he expects the package to be in place within 60 days.

If you run across this post, Colemonkee, I now say you may have to order a lot of Tshirts stenciled with: "I've been waiting forever for the Medallion to break ground & all I got was this crummy shirt."

And, LASF, if you too happen to bump into this thread, it's an example of why I regrettably have to be the yang to your yin.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2006, 8:41 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
If you run across this post, Colemonkee, I now say you may have to order a lot of Tshirts stenciled with: "I've been waiting forever for the Medallion to break ground & all I got was this crummy shirt."
I'll get you one for the Mediallion, but not for City House or The Olympic. I've never taken these projects too seriously despite all the positive news as of late. If you look at the developer's history of developing high rises - or lack thereof - it would take a bulldozer ripping into asphalt to convince me that these are viable projects. Not that I hope they don't move forward - I do. I think they would do a lot for downtown, despite my personal dislike for the designs.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 10:36 AM

I do not know if this project had been posted before but it sure looks awesome!

MILL STREET LOFTS IN THE ARTS DISTRICT

Construction on Mill Street Lofts will start in February of 2007, while sales begin in mid-2007 with an expected occupancy in 2008. Inspired by the site's elevated views of downtown's historic bridges and buildings, Behnisch Architects employed sustainable design strategies to create a distinguished interpretation of Los Angeles living.
Here's the link to access the complete article:
http://www.multi-housingnews.com/mul..._id=1003118377

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 1:47 PM

^Very nice. I love it. I had no idea this was in the works. Can you post a map of the exact location? I have no idea where Mill Street is.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 1:51 PM

^Ok nevermind I looked it up in the downtown LA interactive map. Its all the way in the industrial sector far away from all other highrises. Hopefully this will spur more highrise development in the area. Are there any other highrises proposed for that area?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 5:15 PM

I'm not sure if there are any more new develoments in that particular area other than the ToY Lofts and Biscuit Lofts, maybe other forumers will know...But here are other projects in the DT area I haven't seen before (sorry if these images were posted earlier):

VIBIANA LOFTS
114 East 2nd Street
In 1996, the Archdiocese of Los Angeles initiated demolition of the 17,000-square-foot St. Vibiana Cathedral, its home since 1876, sparking a heated preservation battle that ultimately left it untouched and now the cornerstone of a major $120 million, 468,000 square-foot mixed-use development project by Los Angeles developer Tom Gilmore.

Here's the latest news re: St. Vibiana's Lofts. The renderings too small, maybe someone can post a bigger/clearer one?

41-Story Complex Planned in J-Town
Saturday, Sept. 2, 2006

Little Tokyo Community Council seeks to postpone Sept. 6 planning hearing to assess impact of condominium complex.

ELLEN ENDO/Rafu Shimpo
Developer Tom Gilmore presents his proposal for St. Vibiana Lofts, a 41-story, 300-unit condominium complex Tuesday at a special meeting of the Little Tokyo Community Council. The condominium project on Second Street would run from Main to Los Angeles streets and be twice as tall as the New Otani Hotel.
Citing Little Tokyo’s need for a residential community with more density “to draw a strong economy,” downtown developer Tom Gilmore unveiled a 41-story, 300-unit condominium complex on Tuesday that includes restoration of the historic St. Vibiana Cathedral.

Gilmore shared his plans for the St. Vibiana Lofts at a special Little Tokyo Community Council (LTCC) meeting called by president Tom Kamei. The LTCC executive board earlier requested postponement of a Sept. 6 City Planning Department hearing to allow time for Little Tokyo stakeholders—residents, businesses, and community organizations—to assess the potential impact of the new housing development on the local area.

The project is the latest of several being developed in and near Little Tokyo and is located near Second St. immediately south of the Little Tokyo Branch Library and St. Vibiana and just north of the proposed Little Tokyo Recreation Center.

When completed, the complex would span the entire block from Main Street to Los Angeles Street and be twice as tall as the New Otani Hotel.
Eight floors of parking—two below ground and six above—are intended to accommodate 650 cars for residents and visitors. Gilmore noted that when completed, the St. Vibiana restoration would be comprised of an exhibition area, 1,000-seat performing arts space, and restaurant. When performances occur, arrangements would have to be made, possibly with the Cal Trans facility across the street, for additional parking, Gilmore noted.

Adding to the gentrification of the area will be the Los Angeles Police Department garage planned by the City.

The iconic building, according to Gilmore, will link City Hall, the City’s historic core, and Little Tokyo, making it the new center of downtown Los Angeles.

LTCC voted unanimously to reiterate their request for a postponement of the upcoming hearing.

FULLER LOFTS
210 North San Fernando Road
One of the more notable adaptive-reuse conversions downtown is Santa Monica–based Pugh + Scarpa Architects’ restoration of the 1927 Fuller Pink Company, a former office building and a relic of L.A.’s art deco moment. Though not an official landmark, it sports stunning details, including pilasters, sculpted floral bas reliefs, and according to principal architect Gwen Pugh, “a wonderfully preserved lobby.”

Last edited by arkiLA; Sep 9, 2006 at 5:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 5:42 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkiLA
Adding to the gentrification of the area will be the Los Angeles Police Department garage planned by the City.
because parking garages are the #1 cause of gentrification!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 6:50 PM

^^^Thanks for the pic, Cole...and by the way that statement was made by the writer of the article not me, but you know what, there might be some truth to that since multi-level parking garages are better than surface parking, the former is the lesser of 2 evils so to speak...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2006, 8:43 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkiLA
by the way that statement was made by the writer of the article not me
Of course, not. That comment was directed at the author. I still think it's ludicrous to claim that parking garages "gentrify" an area. Luxury housing, followed by luxury retail gentrifies an area, not parking garages - especially garages that won't be open to the public, like the one they mention in the article. Remember, that's the LAPD Motor Pool they're talking about. It will have some ground floor retail, but if Bratton has his way, they won't even allow street parking in front of it.

That being said, I do agree with you that a multi level garage is better than a surface lot, so long as there is some ground floor retail along the street.

On another note, I drove by the Visconti earlier this morning, and you can see window shades on the east side of the building. That means they're very close to opening, if people haven't started moving in already. Phase 2 - the western half - still looks lke it's under construction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West