HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 5:26 PM

Trades in at the old Desart space this weekend. Place is painted white with large horizontal mirrors on the wall. Barre/pilates/spin studio? Restaurant? Doesn't look like it's being set up for retail.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 12:00 AM
BANNED

247 River

373 River

234 Wellington

570 Stradbrook

369 Stradbrook

362/366 Wardlaw

378 Wardlaw

400 Wardlaw

All photos by me

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 12:44 AM
BANNED

Wow: a lot of cheap shit.

Thanks for the photos.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post

Thanks for the photos.
3 or 4 storey better than 2.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 1:30 AM

I would love to see townhouses developed in the Osborne village area. I think a mix of townhouses and 4-5 storey developments like the one currently being built on Stradbrook would be a great balance for the area.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 2:45 AM
Heart of the Continent

The densest neighbourhood in Winnipeg is getting even more dense.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
The densest neighbourhood in Winnipeg is getting even more dense.
I read that in a coming-attractions-trailer-narrator voice

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
No problem with the quality of the infill happening. Better get out their and open up your pocket book, ($$$) and show em how it's done..

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 9:46 PM
BANNED

No, the city needs to insist on better exterior materials for the village. Cheap exteriors such as these are acceptable for the West End, but not the village.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 9:48 PM

I would like to know how much extra, say per unit per month, it would cost to get a nice brick finish on the exterior. Or something like that, instead of this mish mash of bad looking finishes. It can't be that much spread out over all units in the building over a span of 20 years or something.

Love all the projects, but agree they look cheap. Its just an opinion, I have no money to be a developer!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 9:50 PM
BANNED

At the very least half brick, but to have the front elevations completely clad in that shit is unacceptable.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 10:17 PM

Nah, aint gonna happen. My neighbor can stucco his house blue and no one can do shit about it. Who's gonna actually spend the time and effort to ensure said lot on lets say 200 Gerturude Ave requires the new 4 plex proposed proposal to have a certain amount of brick, glass or a particular aesthetically pleasing amount of siding to satisfy some individuals insatiable desire for such things?

Some will meet your own pre-concieved notion of what residential infill should look like some wont. Different areas of the city will develop their own moral standards and acceptable feel and look of a particular neighborhood. Some developers will try to accommodate these things into their projects and others won't

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 10:28 PM
Heart of the Continent

Thank you

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 10:29 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Nah, aint gonna happen. My neighbor can stucco his house blue and no one can do shit about it. Who's gonna actually spend the time and effort to ensure said lot on lets say 200 Gerturude Ave requires the new 4 plex proposed proposal to have a certain amount of brick, glass or a particular aesthetically pleasing amount of siding to satisfy some individuals insatiable desire for such things?

Some will meet your own pre-concieved notion of what residential infill should look like some wont. Different areas of the city will develop their own moral standards and acceptable feel and look of a particular neighborhood. Some developers will try to accommodate these things into their projects and others won't
Aren't there standards for new projects though? And if there aren't shouldn't there be?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 10:31 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Aren't there standards for new projects though? And if there aren't shouldn't there be?
There are standards.

Lets ask it this way - if the difference between nothing and something (a lot of something) is some 'good' exterior materials, I'll take the something. The reality is, these new builds are varied and interesting. There's nothing wrong with that. Winnipeg has a lot of brick in the exchange - go there if you want to see it.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Brick rather than stucco for example. no. If I reno or demo and build new on my own property, on let's say the prestigious Wellington Crescent Drive, who's going to tell me that the old structure, 100 year old brick mansion for example, can't be replaced with an ultra modern, white, stuccoed box? Take a drive in the area and see for yourself. You may go wow, that's so outta place with the surrounding homes but what can you do, nadda.

Should their be? You tell me. Comes down to personal choice. Impossible to dictate ones personal preferences on the rest of society, wouldn't you say? You like wood, I like brick? What you gonna do?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 2:20 AM
BANNED

The city needs to OK these projects.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 1:55 AM

Stating the obvious has nothing to do with the discussion thus far..let's just leave it at that..

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 2:41 AM
BANNED

That made no sense Cyro.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post

Well, the city just made a developer on Maryland rip off the cladding it put up on its building, because it didn't meet standards. I am all for neighbourhoods having beautification standards, it's really common in the States. Unfortunate we even have to worry about it, but that's just the way it is here. Just like we have a BIZ, we can have a RIZ...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan