HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandCritter View Post
The name is getting too long in my opinion, less is more. AGS was still the best option. RAGS was acceptable. RMAGS is pushing it.
Agreed AGS is what I will be calling it.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:03 PM
the heat goes on

Remai Modern is better than RAGS, AGS, Art Gallery of Saskatchewan or any other option so far considered.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:15 PM

The only reason the gallery was being called RAGS is because they felt it necessary to put the Remai name on yet another building in Saskatoon. Should have kept it as AGS.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca View Post
Remai Modern is better than RAGS, AGS, Art Gallery of Saskatchewan or any other option so far considered.
I was thinking about what might become the common shorthand for referring to the gallery. My bet is on "Remai Modern", or more likely just "the Remai".

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
The only reason the gallery was being called RAGS is because they felt it necessary to put the Remai name on yet another building in Saskatoon. Should have kept it as AGS.
I have no problem with them putting the Remai name on the gallery after Ellen Remai gave over $50 million in money and in-kind donations (the Picasso prints). Naming institutions after major benefactors is a common practice worldwide. That's how the Mendel got its name.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 8:45 PM

Methinks that they're a little oversensitive. I have no issue with "RAGS" & will probably continue to refer to it as such.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I have no problem with them putting the Remai name on the gallery after Ellen Remai gave over $50 million in money and in-kind donations (the Picasso prints). Naming institutions after major benefactors is a common practice worldwide. That's how the Mendel got its name.
True, I'm not knocking them for their donation. When people are done with the art gallery they are sure welcome to go to the theatre with Remai on the building next door, or head down to the university and go to the library with a big ol' photo of the Remais right at the door. I think there certainly reaches a point where putting the name on everything has become more cumbersome than it is worth. You can honour someone's contributions without naming the bulding after them; they could have named the Picasso exhibit after them. They didn't have to name the building after them, especially when it makes them so unhappy they change the name again.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 4:40 AM

^ Fair enough. I get that there's a point of saturation of how many times the same family name can appear on a community's buildings and institutions before it gets tiresome. That being said, I would never want to discourage the Remai family from giving generously once again to another worthy project or cause.

I wonder about how negotiations with a major philanthropist like this go. Is choosing a commemmorative name purely the prerogative of a board or governance of the institution, offered up as a gesture for such a generous donation; or do donors (perhaps those with an ego) make such a donation with the expectation (or on the condition) that their name be enshrined in the institution?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 3:04 PM

Quote:
^ Fair enough. I get that there's a point of saturation of how many times the same family name can appear on a community's buildings and institutions before it gets tiresome. That being said, I would never want to discourage the Remai family from giving generously once again to another worthy project or cause.

I wonder about how negotiations with a major philanthropist like this go. Is choosing a commemmorative name purely the prerogative of a board or governance of the institution, offered up as a gesture for such a generous donation; or do donors (perhaps those with an ego) make such a donation with the expectation (or on the condition) that their name be enshrined in the institution?
I think putting a person's name on it is still much better than a corporation's (renaming the centennial auditorium TCU Place was particularly offensive). Still, it would be nice if people gave without needing to put their name on everything.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
I think putting a person's name on it is still much better than a corporation's (renaming the centennial auditorium TCU Place was particularly offensive). Still, it would be nice if people gave without needing to put their name on everything.
Agreed with you there. "The PotashCorp Modern Art Gallery of Saskatchewan"

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 8:42 PM

I think they should name the entire complex (art gallery and theatre) The Remai Plaza, and then you can have the Art Gallery of Saskatchewan at Remai Plaza and the Persephone Theatre at Remai Plaza. And to honour Ellen Remai's contributions, a gallery within AGS could be named for her.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 4:25 AM

Repost:

Quote:
The Remai Modern tonight:

IMG_7992
by echoes320, on Flickr

IMG_8005
by echoes320, on Flickr

IMG_8020
by echoes320, on Flickr

IMG_8008
by echoes320, on Flickr

IMG_8007
by echoes320, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:31 PM

Nice shots Echoes

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 7:26 PM

Mendel Prepares for the End and A New Beginning

Written by Adam Brilz, saskatoonhomepage.ca
Monday, 22 December 2014

Next year, it'll be the end of an era for Saskatoon art and culture as the city's main art gallery closes its doors.

After an eventful 50th anniversary in 2014, plans are to finish the final exhibition at the Mendel Art Gallery on June 7th, 2015, as they start their move to the Remai Modern Art Gallery of Saskatchewan.

Executive Director Gregory Burke says construction crews recently placed glass walls in the future home of Remai Modern, and says if all goes well it could open by mid to late May 2016.

[........]

Read more:
http://www.saskatoonhomepage.ca/mend...ning/itemid_21

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 5:34 PM

Glass visible on the 4th floor. It's so exciting watching this new landmark of our city take shape.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/entert...291/story.html

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 7:04 PM

A neat (but old) shot from The StarPhoenix showing the Remai from above:

Source

What a relief that the gallery finally hides the bland gray fly tower of the Remai Arts Centre from river views.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 9:28 PM

Apparently the Board is submitting a business plan that calls for admission rates to new Gallery. I think this is going to cause a great deal of grief for the 'new' gallery, as the Mendel was a free public gallery and that is what the public of Saskatoon is use to. I have no issue with paying for special exhibits or travelling shows, but I honestly do not believe charging a general admission is the way to go in a city the size of Saskatoon.

This is just going to get all the 'anti gallery' folks all riled up again!!!

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/entert...923/story.html

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Apparently the Board is submitting a business plan that calls for admission rates to new Gallery. I think this is going to cause a great deal of grief for the 'new' gallery, as the Mendel was a free public gallery and that is what the public of Saskatoon is use to. I have no issue with paying for special exhibits or travelling shows, but I honestly do not believe charging a general admission is the way to go in a city the size of Saskatoon.

This is just going to get all the 'anti gallery' folks all riled up again!!!

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/entert...923/story.html
Yes, it's no surprise to me that this gallery was going to charge admission, what irks me more is that we lose the old mendel which always added to a great experience while going for a meewasin stroll. I am glad the civic conservatory will remain in place, I will continue to visit it a few times a year, but as for the Remai I expect I will probably only set foot in it once unless they happen to feature a particular exhibit that I desperately wish to see in person.

Same concern with the kinsmen park amusements, only cost a buck or two to entertain my child for half hour or so and was a great reason to come downtown. I know they said they wish to keep the rates the same but I suspect when it's opened it'll be $5 a ride instead (which isn't a big deal for some but it's a game changer for the people who liked it the way it was).

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 8:46 PM

Photos: Remai Art Gallery gets windows

There is art to placing huge sheets of highly reflective glass onto the exterior of the new Remai Modern Art Gallery of Saskatchewan. Each of the 500 glass panels that will adorn the outside of the gallery weighs more than 400 pounds and has to be mounted using a glass vacuum lifter. As the sheets were lifted onthe the building on March 17, 2015, they waved in the wind, reflecting buildings in the distance. This fired tempered double- and triple-pane glass will be installed throughout the building, which is scheduled to open in 2016.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 3:28 AM

An interesting perspective of the gallery:

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/s...497/story.html

The view from up there will be great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan