HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Homewood Suites by Hilton Hamilton in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 6:03 PM
On Guard For Thee

The Sheraton and the other issues are separate--and yes Flar, RTH is taking him to task over the Sheraton. I'm not sure what point RTH is trying to make - the economy is good and Vranich is lying about that? The economy is bad and he's stupid to be investing in the Sheraton? People do make investments in down economies.

Also, please see the plethora of articles on the credit market conditions globally if you have concerns about developments 'stalling'...far easier to borrow money to renovate an existing and (presumably) profitable hotel than it is to borrow money to build anew a hotel which will then compete with the one you just bought.

He desrves scrutiny on the other issues mentioned, no question.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 8:12 PM
Closed account

I'm taking him to task for lying through his teeth and slumming up another corner of our downtown.
I'm also nervous about him owning a flagship property downtown...his track record is pure garbage.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 9:59 PM

I forgot that he owns the building in hess village that accidentally "collapsed" during renovation. I imagine he'll save a whack of money on property taxes due to the lack of a building being there.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 10:06 PM
Closed account

yup...pretty much everything he owns has been flattened into a parking lot or empty lot.
Is the Sheraton next??

Old Posted Oct 4, 2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I don't WANT him owning the Sheraton.
Then you buy it.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2008, 12:39 AM
Closed account

I didn't say I wanted to own it, I said I don't want him owning it.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2008, 5:37 AM
Closed account

ha ha ha [shock of the century], fastcars is appologising for vranich - the stripclub owning, suburban hotel building liar. he's as slimy as they come but yes, let's pat him on the back for all his hard work for this city and for mankind in general. oh and let's not forget all the opportunities he provided to those poor eastern european women he had 'dancing' for him. oh well, i guess his son appreciated it at least. vranich is an ass and i wouldn't cross his ample parking lot to spit on him.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2008, 6:34 AM

The time is now for punitive legislation against these opportunists that live in Oakville and let our buildings go to shit because they can afford to. The city passed a law 30 years ago covering Heritage Conservation Districts in which you cannot demo a building unless a building permit is obtained for a suitable replacement. This needs to be extended to cover every block of downtown.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
The city passed a law 30 years ago covering Heritage Conservation Districts in which you cannot demo a building unless a building permit is obtained for a suitable replacement. This needs to be extended to cover every block of downtown.
I think it covers most of it, but the city accepts empty promises in place of actual new buildings.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2008, 3:55 PM
Closed account

I told you so?

This guy is a loser. Plain and simple. He's just playing games... what BS!

'I hate The Spec'
'I hate the City'
'I hate Heritage Issues'

THEN WHY ARE YOU IN HAMILTON?

I'd rather NOT have him own ANY property (Sheraton or whatev) than have him own one 'good' property and 15 shitty ones!

Last edited by DC83; Oct 4, 2008 at 4:07 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2008, 5:23 PM

Ultimately its the city's fault for not doing something about it. The city has to take responsibility. Otherwise there are plenty of Vranich-like characters that will take advantage. He just happens to be one of the smarter ones.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2008, 6:03 PM
Closed account

^^ I actually think he's probably one of the dumbest ones... especially if he thinks we're dumb enough to believe his BS 'excuses'.

It makes me SICK that there are people who truly care for this City who can't get a chance to fix it, Hi Harry Stinson, yet there are a**holes like Vranich (you can tell he's clearly an arrogant a**hole by his statements in that article) who gets away with whatever they want.

I'm hardly a pessimist, but I knew from Day 1 this project wouldn't go if that HMP Bldg was tore down. I hate being right sometimes. What a waste of a heritage building!!!!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 8:45 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

This hotel isn't going to happen.

Building in a recession is the best time. you can find labour that will actually show up to work and work for less, materials are cheaper and Vranich could build this with his pocket change.

AND YES, the City F*cked up on this, big surprise. Another by-law that the City chooses to ignore. Maybe Vranich is planning a drive-thru and Tim McCabe is drooling over the possibility of 'jobs' being created, even though drive-thrus aren't allowed in the core. So McCabe let's it continue to be a parking lot where a functioning building existed minutes before it was torn down.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 10:05 PM

Another big 'denied' for everyone who lives and loves downtown.

Vranich doesn't care about the project anymore because he owns the Sheraton. So recession or no recession, he has no incentive to build, in fact he has more to gain by not building. That's fine, but please for the love of God sell the damn property.

Here's an idea: Expropriate the block and sell it to Mac to use for the education complex. Incorporate the existing Federal building and build new, connected buildings on the vacant land. Use it for the medical school with or without the Board of Ed. If they jump on board later, build more to accommodate.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Another big 'denied' for everyone who lives and loves downtown.

Vranich doesn't care about the project anymore because he owns the Sheraton. So recession or no recession, he has no incentive to build, in fact he has more to gain by not building. That's fine, but please for the love of God sell the damn property.

Here's an idea: Expropriate the block and sell it to Mac to use for the education complex. Incorporate the existing Federal building and build new, connected buildings on the vacant land. Use it for the medical school with or without the Board of Ed. If they jump on board later, build more to accommodate.
And stop using the site as a parking lot illegally if all you are going to do is f*** Hamilton over.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 1:19 AM

What ever did happen to his son over that sexual assault incident? I personally would never step foot in his nightclubs or hess village at all, its not the same as it was years ago.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 1:23 AM
It's Hammer Time

Take a peek at Hess Village his nightclub is under construction.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 2:03 AM

House Arrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
What ever did happen to his son over that sexual assault incident? I personally would never step foot in his nightclubs or hess village at all, its not the same as it was years ago.
http://www.thespec.com/article/254585

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 10:37 PM

Anyone hear any updates on this recelty. Its been a while. How about some e-mails.

Maybe we should get intouch with some sort of media outlet to have them expose there slum land owners for what they are doing to our city. Sometimes media outlets like doing these sort of documentaries. Just a thought.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 11:12 PM

Update - Darko Vranich is paying less tax to Hamilton and earning more parking revenue to spend in Oakville. Our legal system has failed us.

The land needs to be expropriated. If there is no legal basis for that, a case needs to be made to the province using this and countless other precedents, for new legislation.

If a property in the core is vacant for 5 years, it should become the property of the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton