HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 9:44 PM

^ I totally agree! From the east it looks kind of boring, but from the west hills it looks so much more impressive. I think part of it is that from some vantage points in the weest hills you are practically "sitting on" DT, whereas from the eastside you are further away and lower than the buidlings DT.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 10:14 PM
Green Giant

There are so many projects going on......the Pearl, SoWa, and the Downtown Core , that it is hard to keep tract of everything. I know I am beating a dead horse here, but there are too many low rise towers going up. With all of Portland's visionary planning ability, isn't there a way to integrate taller structures into the mix? I believe the tallest towers should be in the downtown core to distinguish it from the other districs and become the signiture region.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 10:45 PM

Drew-ski, FYI the 10th and Yamhill ("Smart Park" replacement) is pretty speculative at this point. I don't think it's even clear if the developer would actually be G-E or not.

I agree that from some places up in the hills, Portland's skyline looks better. In fact, it seems like it always looks better if you're looking down on it - the view from the Marquam Bridge is far better than from the Eastside Esplanade or Waterfront Park. Also looks pretty good from the Fremont Bridge as well as from Interstate just north of the Rose Garden.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 11:26 PM

hey Reisender could you add the benson, and the broadway tower :
edit: if you really want to go all out don't forget about the ladd tower, montgomery blocks, the strand and even sowa if you get on a roll

Last edited by Dougall5505; Feb 25, 2007 at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 11:31 PM
Green Giant

Looking at the rendition from pdxstreetcar, it appears that the "10th and Yamhill" (proposed tower) is perhaps 8 to 10 floors taller than the Park Ave Tower. That assumption would put this new tower approaching 500 ft. Is GE an acronym for General Electric? Can anybody bring me up to speed on this new project? Can I float an awesome idea by you folks.......has there ever been talk about putting up a Space Needle type structure there. Several Cities have them already and that would really put Portland on the map!!!!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 11:46 PM
Karma Police

GE = Gerding/Edlen, a local development company here.

NO, no space needle going here, that's so '60's and like you said, everybody has one or something similar, so how would that distinguish Portland from other cities? I think the Tram helps in that regard, nobody has one like it, and it's very photogenic.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 12:12 AM

markdaman supposedly has some inside info on the 10th and Yahmill project here are some quotes he has make about it:
Quote:
Gerding-Edlen is looking at the possibility of building Portland's new tallest on the block next to the Moyer tower. They would have to get city hall approval for any proposal rising above 460', but it isn't just a pipe dream anymore, someone is actually working on it.
Quote:
on the Smart Park garage (10th and Yamhill). The PDC issued an RFP and is going through the selection process. Gerding-Edlen has been looking at the block, rumored at least, to build Portland's new tallest
theres actually more things he said but i can't find out where he said it
but i remember him saying something about possibly having twin 45 story towers there which might put it around 550-600ft

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 1:27 AM

Iconic Architecture in Portland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
GE = Gerding/Edlen, a local development company here.

NO, no space needle going here, that's so '60's and like you said, everybody has one or something similar, so how would that distinguish Portland from other cities? I think the Tram helps in that regard, nobody has one like it, and it's very photogenic.
At oregonstadiumcampaign.com a year or two ago I mentioned a concept for a pyramid type (open with four legs, one for each corner) structure over the Memorial Coliseum (MC) with an observation deck and resturant level. Escalators and stairs would offer views all the way up (for a fee) on two of the legs (Northwest leg near the Boardway Bridge and the Southeast leg to be near the Rose Quarter Transit Center and the Oregon Convention Center). The other two legs would for resturant support and egress access. The Willamette River bends there creating perfect viewing angles and places it in the ideal location for PDX Central City visuals. This would work even easier if the MC land was converted to a MLB Stadium site and the open pyramid structure was phase two. The four legs of the pyramid structure would also be used for the system (canvas or other light weight material) for covering the MLB field and stands on those late Spring/early Fall rain days. Think the Northwests' largest umbrella.

I had mentioned to a Talk to Vera Oregonlive process years ago about making the Tram able to have expansion capability and it seems with the open corridor to the East Bank of the Willamette, this might be in the plans for the distant future.

If this happens and the Marquam Bridge does finally become obsolete and is replaced by a tunnel or removed for some other configuration of assets; then the Tram could reach its greatest iconic and tourist possibility on the East Bank.

Going from the Brooklyn Area and offering views all the way up to the Observation Deck of Mt Hood II at the MC. and making the structure open reduces most mountain view issues from the West.

There you have your Portland architecture touchstone incorperating the Tram; perfect river location; views in all different directions; money maker for the city; multiple functionality for transportation/tourism/possible stadium upgrade; perfect public/private investment that generates demand and revenue.

This is something for twenty years from now.

Maybe we need two or three threads for iconic possibilities in SEA, PDX, and Spokane.

Ray Whitford

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall5505 View Post
hey Reisender could you add the benson, and the broadway tower :
edit: if you really want to go all out don't forget about the ladd tower, montgomery blocks, the strand and even sowa if you get on a roll
i'll do downtown tonight, got some already in there. what type of height are we talking for broadway tower (assuming thats the Moyer/TVA one that was floating a few months back) and what else goes in Montgomery Blocks besides 1700 building?

haven't done south waterfront yet, will take a little longer b/c i want to show the curving forms

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 2:44 AM

Quote:
i'll do downtown tonight, got some already in there
i didn't understand that. literally? or on google earth?
im thinking broadway tower is around 450' and im looking for a render of the montgomery blocks right now
and also im looking for a aerial render of the burnside bridgehead but i forgot which developer they chose. was it opus?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 2:54 AM

haha, got some on google earth already. yah, i think opus was the developer, they may have stuff for that on the PDC site

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 2:58 AM

all right here is blocks that will be reveloped and the number on them is the phase that it will be built

and a render of the burnside bridgehead if you want to do that too.

another building: the storage tower on the eastside

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 2:58 AM
Bears of antiquity

I think the Caruthers bridge should be built with an observation deck attached to the pedestrian portion-- climb up and have great views from the middle of the river!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 3:02 AM

im confused about that bridge haven't they started the construction of the I-205 MAX line out to Clackmas? but there isn't anything on the trimet website about that bridge. Or any designs that i've seen anywhere. does anyone have info on that?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 3:10 AM

^ the caruthers bridge is part of the second phase of the south corridor - it won't begin construction until 2009 at the very very earliest.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 4:25 AM

Future Portland

Thought I'd post the GoogleEarth shots of Portland here instead of the Harsch Tower thread. Dougall, think I got all the buildings you were looking for except the Bridgehead ones Made a few pictures of how Portland will look in ten years (hopefully) if we see the rise of some of the major projects cooking downtown. Grey buildings are ones currently there, yellow are proposed/under construction. Enjoy!

Portland 2007

Portland 2017

and SoWa as a bonus

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 4:41 AM
Karma Police

Caruthers Bridge is still only conceptual, it may not even end up at Caruthers St. If they want to start construction in 2009, they'd better get moving. There's about a half a dozen steps to go through before they can even break ground on this.

Also, Broadway Tower is around 350', not 450'.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 4:47 AM
Karma Police

Very cool.....

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 4:53 AM

nice job... it's so hard to get the round ones right...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 5:44 AM

i wish it had a new tallest

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland