HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

425 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I think this point is open to debate. To me, the postwar era is also part of the "classic" NY. NY pioneered the large-scale use of international-style skyscrapers, and landmarks like Seagram and Lever House are globally recognized.

Especially in Midtown East, the postwar era is really the dominant skyscraper typology. And we're specifically talking about Park Ave., which is 90% international-style, and has basically nothing prewar outside of the Waldorf-Astoria.
This happened after 1952 when Lever House was completed. The replacement of the older masonry brick apartment on Park Ave was brought on by the popularity of the international style, especially in the 1960s, but it does not define itself as classic New York architecture.

In retrospect, New York would have been better off aesthetically without the international style influx. The international style, while still allowing for height, sterilizes the street and the skyline.

I would not lump this building in as international style since it does have a contemporary twist, but it does not evoke classic New York, but rather a revision of a generation of blandness (50s-70s) we hope to replace overtime.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 7:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermetAJ View Post
In my view "classic" New York does not include the 50s and 60s.
Well, that's your view, and you're welcome to it. But it doesn't change reality. What is - is. The boxes of Park Avenue are now classic, and in fact inspired similar buildings the world over. There hasn't been anything new of significance built there in my lifetime, and probably not yours either.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 9:36 PM

Future of 425 Park Avenue mentioned in NY Times article about postponed Midtown East rezoning:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/14/ny...side.html?_r=0

Quote:

Future Unclear for Towers on East Side
By CHARLES V. BAGLI
Published: November 13, 2013

...“I want people to know we’re fine,” Mr. Levinson said. “We’re still building the finest building in Midtown. Our plans are filed; we’re going.”

Starting in 2015, Mr. Levinson, chief executive of L&L Holding, still plans to demolish a 31-story Park Avenue building to make way for a 41-story tower that he will pitch to hedge funds, private equity firms and other well-heeled tenants.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 10:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Transit Authority approvals...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 4:51 AM
BANNED

I do hope that they raze everything and start a new building. Keeping the base or 15% of the existing building will look out of place with the top floors.

Last edited by Perklol; Jan 18, 2014 at 1:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 4:00 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

^Not really. What remains of the base will be reclad to match the rest of the tower.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 11:32 PM
New Yorker for life

All final approvals are in place for construction (which is further off).

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...A3&requestid=2

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 12:49 AM
DENNAB

I like it! I also take it it's across the street from 432 park ave.?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I like it! I also take it it's across the street from 432 park ave.?
No, it's a block south (so between 55th and 56th).

There is a mid-rise office building directly across Park Ave. from 432 and I have wondered if the success of 432 will cause a similar redevelopment across the street. I would not be shocked to see other residential sliver supertalls rising in this part of Midtown.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 1:54 AM

How long will it be until work starts?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 3:39 AM

Didn't this building take a hair cut down to 865 feet because Bloomberg's re-zoning for midtown east didn't pass?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
Didn't this building take a hair cut down to 865 feet because Bloomberg's re-zoning for midtown east didn't pass?
No. This building is planned independent from Bloomberg and now DeBlasio's rezoning proposals.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 9:22 PM

@McSky;
If anything, this beauty is practically a cinch to join the Thousand-Plus Footer Club by virtue of its location within the MidTown East area.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 12:14 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
@McSky;
If anything, this beauty is practically a cinch to join the Thousand-Plus Footer Club by virtue of its location within the MidTown East area.
I don't think it's a certainty. But of course, work isn't expected to get underway before De Blasio revisits the midtown east rezoning. Plans here could always be refilled for a larger building.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 7:41 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

New York YIMBY:

Approved: 425 Park Avenue
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON MARCH 4TH 2014 AT 10:00 AM

425 Park Avenue -- existing building

Quote:
All permits for construction at 425 Park Avenue have been approved, and work may begin shortly; the existing building is being partially demolished to make way for 42 stories of offices, designed by Norman Foster. The developer is L&L Holding Company.

The entirety of the redevelopment will encompass approximately 513,000 square feet, and the height to the highest occupied floor will be 905 feet. That figure may not include the ‘fins’ atop Foster’s vision, given that Department of Buildings measurements do not include architectural flourishes; if 425 Park Avenue doesn’t break the 1,000-foot mark, it will certainly come close.

The lower quarter of the existing 425 Park Avenue must be preserved, so demolition may be more difficult than usual, but L&L’s project is expected to be completed in 2017.

425 Park Avenue — image from Foster

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 10:52 PM

Nice. I thought te height was to the top of the blades. This will make a very nice impact on the skyline.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 11:00 PM
DENNAB

That article is probably wrong... unless they've changed the design the building is definitely 905' to the fins in that rendering. Also no 42nd floor would be 900+ feet up, I don't think floors that big would exist.

Not to say it wouldn't be awesome if this thing had a height increase

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 12:33 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
That article is probably wrong... unless they've changed the design the building is definitely 905' to the fins in that rendering. Also no 42nd floor would be 900+ feet up, I don't think floors that big would exist.

Not to say it wouldn't be awesome if this thing had a height increase
http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/riya...om-centre/494/

Kingdom Centre Riyadh:
Quote:
Figures
Height: Architectural 302.3 meter / 992 feet
Height: Occupied 290.4 meter / 953 feet
Height: To Tip 302.3 meter / 992 feet
Height: Observatory 290.4 meter / 953 feet
Floors Above Ground 41
Floors Below Ground 2
# of Elevators 45

I think it's possible if those big sections are not counted as floors and the ceiling height is about 16 - 17ft.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 2:09 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/riya...om-centre/494/

Kingdom Centre Riyadh:

I think it's possible if those big sections are not counted as floors and the ceiling height is about 16 - 17ft.
But that building has a big open space that's not really a floor... there's not gonna be occupied space on top of the fins on this one.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 2:59 AM
BANNED

How did this one get a height increase? It was 687 ft. and now 905?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive