HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
Thanks, IFTowner for your post. Sometimes I forget who did what. It's good to know that Greg Carr will be involved in the new project on the Savings Center land. Isn't his brother the attorney (Steve Carr, or something like that- no disrespect intended, I am just busy and haven't looked).

Greg Carr's actions across the U.S. for civil rights started with the former Aryan Compound in northern Idaho. I respect the man for being so committed to those causes in which he believes. I still don't understand why he isn't in Wikipedia given his contribution to computers and the Internet.

To me, Greg Carr is a lot like Allan Ball - AKA - Ball Ventures. They carefully plan where and when they want to be involved, obtain the capital (if they don't already have it) and then when they start their projects, THEY finish them.

When the I.F. Arts Council has enough money to remodel the land/buildings they apparently have quitely been acquiring, I think Carr Gallery is suppose to be moved. The addition, which will be added now, will help a lot. But, the masterplan of what is already a need and people want, sounds really exciting.

I hope you still agree with me, IFTowner that there needs to be some parking structure built in downtown Idaho Falls. I'd say probably about 4 levels would be a healthy start. It should be near the Cultural District so more people can more participate in events as the additions and other businesses open up.

This is an open question to all. I think I'm confused. Is there an Art Gallery in SRL, or do they just show paintings for various artists at various times?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

N2I.F.
In no uncertain terms I can tell you the Carr Gallery is not moving. And there have never been any plans for it to move. The space it currently occupies is fabulous and fits the bill quite nicely.
I can tell you that Steve Carr is one of 4 partners in the savings center building. This is from the horses mouth. I have no idea whether or not his brother, Greg, is involved. But it sounds like others have info that would suggest that is the case.
The artists exhibiting at SRL were asked to show their work there. It isn't a gallery/business in IRS terms. The 12 artists who have their work there used to be showing at Michele's on 1st st. -which will almost assuredly not last through the recession.
I'll let you know more info about IFAC's specific plans when they are made "somewhat" more public. They don't want to jump the gun for obvious financial issues. Or you can PM me.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 11:54 PM
The World Is Welcome Here

Quote:
Hey Jim,

Jim, this probably should go in the CdA thread. I've been told the Spokesman Review ran an article - I think on Sat., maybe Friday, about the FLDS becoming a major presence in northern ID. Did you see this article? If not, I have the link and can send it to you. Otherwise, what did you think? I know some people are really anxious. Others are more kicked back and observing.

Looking forward to your take on the FLDS situation in northern ID. If the subject has already been posted in the Cd'A thread, just let me know and I'll read what other forumers have written.

Thanks,

N2I.F.
Don't even worry about them. You won't even realize they're there. They keep to themselves for the most part.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 11:59 PM
The World Is Welcome Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Is Melaluca a pyramid company like AmWay or other similar pyramid schemes that LDS Church members get into? I remember getting sucked into a few Amway meetings in Salt Lake but they always said that it was not Amway and they flat out lied.
Here is a Word of warning, watch out for this question: "I would like to invite you to a gathering that might change your life. It has helped me out tremendously."
It sound like a missionary trying to get converts, but it is usually a return missionary trying to get rich.
I'd say it's closer to Avon than Amway. But Melaleuca stuff actually does work. My family's used their products for about fifteen years.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 9:07 PM
Honored Member

Thumbs up AREVA! Opened Eagle Rock Office Today & Ahead of Schedule

Despite what other businesses may be closing, Areva made a huge step forward for the Eagle Rock Enrichment Facility today.

Areva opened the main office for this plant today. Per the following news, Areva is ahead of schedule.

The company plans on hiring LOCALLY - 1,000 construction jobs locally to build the plant, 400 workers for the plant, then estimated 2,000-3,000 "indirect workers." Whether these are the support positions for the company, via other companies, or a different type of position in Areva, I don't know. Perhaps others can expand this basic story.

Great to get this good news now, IMHO.

From KIFI - www.localnews8.com/global/story.asp?s=9931277

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 9:22 PM
Honored Member

Talking Thanks for the Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
In no uncertain terms I can tell you the Carr Gallery is not moving. And there have never been any plans for it to move. The space it currently occupies is fabulous and fits the bill quite nicely.
I can tell you that Steve Carr is one of 4 partners in the savings center building. This is from the horses mouth. I have no idea whether or not his brother, Greg, is involved. But it sounds like others have info that would suggest that is the case.
The artists exhibiting at SRL were asked to show their work there. It isn't a gallery/business in IRS terms. The 12 artists who have their work there used to be showing at Michele's on 1st st. -which will almost assuredly not last through the recession.
I'll let you know more info about IFAC's specific plans when they are made "somewhat" more public. They don't want to jump the gun for obvious financial issues. Or you can PM me.
Velvet Elvis,

My error. I apologize. I thought I read the expansion would allow Carr Gallery to expand (I don't mean to a different location, just within the existing/expansion area). Maybe that was just wishing on my part so I didn't read what was written accurately. Skimming the article again, it appears other uses for the expansion have been planned.

I really appreciate all who work so hard in the IF Arts Council to continually expand opportunities for different types of cultural events. This initial expansion will be a plus. When the day comes the Arts Council can all that it had originally planned for now (and probably more), that will be a tremendous plus for downtown Idaho Falls as well as all residents/visitors in the Idaho Falls area.

Thanks for the info about the artists at SRL. Maybe someday there can be a gallery in SRL, especially if more businesses or an events center etc. are constructed there so a lot of people come to the area for entertainment purposes, let alone those who will live there. At least for now I think it is great there is another place for local artists to show their work where businesses moving to SRL, and their clients as well as others, can see the paintings.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Despite what other businesses may be closing, Areva made a huge step forward for the Eagle Rock Enrichment Facility today.

Areva opened the main office for this plant today. Per the following news, Areva is ahead of schedule.

The company plans on hiring LOCALLY - 1,000 construction jobs locally to build the plant, 400 workers for the plant, then estimated 2,000-3,000 "indirect workers." Whether these are the support positions for the company, via other companies, or a different type of position in Areva, I don't know. Perhaps others can expand this basic story.

Great to get this good news now, IMHO.

From KIFI - www.localnews8.com/global/story.asp?s=9931277
GREAT NEWS, and more great news... the snow is melting at a very nice pace!!! YEAH SPRING!!!

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 6:36 AM
Honored Member

Thumbs up CAES Officially Opens

I'm surprised no one has posted anything about CAES opening. The Idaho Business Review article gives a good, clear summary of this 55,000 sq. ft. research lab. INL, U of I, BSU and ISU all are parterning to teach students seekings advanced degrees as well as be involved in the rearch.

This is a plus for Idaho Falls, a PLUS for EDUCATION in Idaho (even Gov. Otter seems to "get it" now) and hopefully the beginning of new energy sources. I see a lot of possibilities happening around CAES.

http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...in-Idaho-Falls

Congratulations to all involved to make this center a reality!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 7:49 PM

http://www.microtelinn.com/MicrotelI...ol/coming_soon

It doesn't give an address but I am thinking this is what is currently being built at the Sunnyside Exit, maybe not though.

I have seen the Microtel Inn up in Rexburg and it is a nice looking hotel.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 1:55 AM
Honored Member

Post Microtel is Closer to the Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy View Post
http://www.microtelinn.com/MicrotelI...ol/coming_soon

It doesn't give an address but I am thinking this is what is currently being built at the Sunnyside Exit, maybe not though.

I have seen the Microtel Inn up in Rexburg and it is a nice looking hotel.
Hey, IFGuy,

In looking at their site, it is true they list Idaho Falls as a location that will open soon. However, I couldn't get any further information regardless of in which month I tried looking.

I thought we all discussed several pages back that the Microtel was the "low end" hotel going on the banks of the river on the west side, thus close to the airport. I'd be surprised to see a second of the same brand name in a city that hasn't opened the first. (Remember, right by Highway 20, Skyline etc. exit).

What is intersting to me is in looking at Microtel and other brand names that are part of the Wyndham hotels, you know I told you over a year ago about a different brand name on that list for a different location. If you're confused, send me a PM.

I do think it is fair to say Wyndham is looking at Idaho Falls and what hotels they will allow to be belt in the area. Could the one near Sunnyside and Pioneer Road also be part of the Wyndham chain, just not a Microtel? I'd say the chances of that are better than 50:50.

If anyone else knows anything about the Outlet Stores and whether they have been put on a long-term hold, or a shorter term, please add your comments.

Also, it will be intersting to see what happens now that Citizens Bank is in the old ANR bank. Will some of the projects planned now be able to obtain the financial baking that ANR left in such a mess? I hope so.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 4:09 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Thread renamed at request of creator.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 4:42 AM

Thank you Cirrus!!! You da man!!!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 5:33 AM

http://www.sunnysidecrossroads.com/north.html

Well, I have solved the mystery of the hotel at Sunnyside and I-15. OK, it wasn't a mystery but I finally found out as these things bug me when I can't find them out.

So, in my earlier post I said a Microtel Inn, that was wrong, that has been open for over a year at the Lindsay/ Hwy20 Exit. I have no idea what I was thinking.

So I guess that this is the second business to grace the new section of Sunnyside. It looks like Teton Toyota is doing well and hopefully we can get those parks built in the near future as well as more retail, ect.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 6:07 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Thread renamed at request of creator.
Quote:
Thank you Cirrus!!! You da man!!!
This deserves a toast with some excellent Idaho wine crafted from North America's finest grapes grown along the Snake River in Sunnyslope near Boise in Canyon County. Here is some Cinder Syrah coming at you
I would use the beer similies but for some reason the beer mugs king of degrade the implication of wine.

Well, after all since I mentioned Cinder check out their website. Wine is fast becoming Idaho's big cash crop next to spuds and marijuana. We currently have 38 wineries.
I have a case of their first release of Syrah and it is sold out and priceless.

www.cinderwines.com
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Mar 19, 2009 at 6:31 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 2:29 PM

Yes, I will take that wine, even though I am a beer guy.

Keep it flowing because the US Census Bureau released 2008 Metro Numbers yesterday. (We all know how accurate they are.)

#1 Boise: 599,753
#2 Coeur D'Alene: 137, 475
#3 Idaho Falls: 122,995
#4 Pocatello: 88,495
#5 Lewiston: 60,395

Nice fight going on for #2 Metro but it is pretty easy to see how the states population is spread out. CDA is kickin Lewistons hiney as well as I.F. is kickin Pokys hiney. For everything that has ever made sense you would think that IF and Pokys numbers should be flipped considering ISUs main campus is there.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 3:02 PM

Nice, the new name looks much better.

I saw the census numbers in The Statesman this morning and as usual they have supplied in-accurate numbers for Boise. The questionable aspect is that ACORN will be involved in the 2010 numbers. Big Brother is rearing his ugly head.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 8:03 PM
World Traveler

Quote:

Keep it flowing because the US Census Bureau released 2008 Metro Numbers yesterday. (We all know how accurate they are.)

Two interesting things to note:
1. Twin Falls is the 4th largest urbanized area in Idaho, but it is a micropolitan area. It has 94,752 residents. It will soon be a metro, once its urban area reaches 50,000 residents. Twin Falls started the decade with 500 less people than Pocatello. It has been pulling away ever since...
2. Rexburg became the 7th urbanized area in the state to surpass 50,000 residents. If Rexburg's growth rate continues, it will surpass Lewiston in the next 15 years.
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 6:52 AM

With the Twin Falls situation, I noticed that Kimberly is to Twin what Meridian was to Boise in the 90's. A lot of bigger plots of land for a cheaper price than Twin and a short commute.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawolf View Post
With the Twin Falls situation, I noticed that Kimberly is to Twin what Meridian was to Boise in the 90's. A lot of bigger plots of land for a cheaper price than Twin and a short commute.
Kind of like how Ammon was to Idaho Falls and Shelley is to Idaho Falls and Iona is to Idaho Falls. Pretty much the same deal. There is quite a bit of undeveloped land up for sale between all these towns, it's only a matter of time before sprawl eats it all up.

Speaking of Ammon though, I ran across a pic of an approved hotel, which would be the second in Ammon, north and east of Wal Mart. While probably nothing spectacular and I don't have specifics, I would imagine it would be nothing more than a regular cookie cutter hotel.

Might not be much but it seems like things might be picking up a little bit around the area.

Hopefully someone has an update as far as the progress of the Marriott? Did they get someone to fianance it or to Citizens Bank step in where ANB left off?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 3:05 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Yes, I will take that wine, even though I am a beer guy.

Nice fight going on for #2 Metro but it is pretty easy to see how the states population is spread out. CDA is kickin Lewistons hiney as well as I.F. is kickin Pokys hiney. For everything that has ever made sense you would think that IF and Pokys numbers should be flipped considering ISUs main campus is there.
boise is 599,753????
how can that be when ada county is 404k and canyon county is 180k? alone.. the metro includes gem, boise, and owyhee as well? that's another 35K that should put boise well over the 600k mark...
like 625k...

Also, I think that rexburg will eventually become part of the IF metro... because really there isn't a lot of industry up there, and most of them come to IF anyway for shopping and entertainment..
I wouldn't be surprised if in the next decade and all those area's around IF come together more cohesively and push the numbers well into the mid 200K range

I also, don't understand how Cda is a metro and twin falls is not? Cda city proper is not 50k yet.. Nor is lewiston...
I think if you were to include just the developements outside city limits in twin falls.. you'd get well over 50k..
Twin Falls sees many national retail chains even before idaho falls which is kind of strange.. but says something as well...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:17 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
boise is 599,753????
how can that be when ada county is 404k and canyon county is 180k? alone.. the metro includes gem, boise, and owyhee as well? that's another 35K that should put boise well over the 600k mark...
like 625k...
The 599K number is from the U.S. Census Bureau. The 404K and 180K numbers are from COMPASS, not from the Census Bureau, that's why they don't add up...

Quote:
Also, I think that rexburg will eventually become part of the IF metro... because really there isn't a lot of industry up there, and most of them come to IF anyway for shopping and entertainment..
I wouldn't be surprised if in the next decade and all those area's around IF come together more cohesively and push the numbers well into the mid 200K range
It is highly unlikely that Rexburg will become part of the IF metro in the next 20 years given commuting numbers are not high enough.

Quote:
I also, don't understand how Cda is a metro and twin falls is not? Cda city proper is not 50k yet.. Nor is lewiston...
I think if you were to include just the developements outside city limits in twin falls.. you'd get well over 50k..
Twin Falls sees many national retail chains even before idaho falls which is kind of strange.. but says something as well...
Cities do not have to have a population 50K to be a metro area, urban areas do. Here is the Census definition:
"The 2000 standards provide that each CBSA must contain at least one urban area of 10,000 or more population. Each metropolitan statistical area must have at least one urbanized area of 50,000 or more inhabitants. Each micropolitan statistical area must have at least one urban cluster of at least 10,000 but less than 50,000 population.
Under the standards, the county (or counties) in which at least 50 percent of the population resides within urban areas of 10,000 or more population, or that contain at least 5,000 people residing within a single urban area of 10,000 or more population, is identified as a "central county" (counties). Additional "outlying counties" are included in the CBSA if they meet specified requirements of commuting to or from the central counties. Counties or equivalent entities form the geographic "building blocks" for metropolitan and micropolitan statistical areas throughout the United States and Puerto Rico."

Coeur d'Alene has the 3rd largest urban area in the state, after Boise and Nampa. The city of Cd'A is contiguous with the cities of Post Falls and Hayden, pushing the urban area number way past the 50K threshold. Twin Falls is not quite at that number yet. Lewiston barely passes that number since it includes the town of Clarkston, WA.
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West