HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 5:45 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

God only knows. I don't think it even matters anymore. This place is falling apart.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Global needs to shag off rubbing it in. They don't even serve this market, stop scaring tourists away.

Global, stahp.

Though they do serve our market, in an indirect way. NTV is essentially a Global station with local programming.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 3:13 AM

White Rock is at $1.22

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 3:21 AM

K-W ranging from $1.01 to $1.08.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 5:06 AM
Moran supreme

Many stations jumping 12-14 cents tonight n Calgary, 109.9 seems to be the new sweet spot for regular.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 5:23 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

what the jumps?

105 in winnipeg

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 5:38 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
What I currently have in the car was obtained at $2.30/gal in New Hampshire last week, but I might have to put five bucks in Sherbrooke at $1.12 a liter before going again to the US this weekend.

It's always 30%-35% cheaper (the exact percentages varies based on the exchange rate). I bring back a 20 liter jerrycan every time as well, I run on that after the tank is depleted. Filling up in Quebec is only for emergencies, but sometimes I have to do it of course.

I'd be annoyed to be in St. John's, you feel like they have you by the nuts...
The cost of going to N.H. would probably negate any savings wouldn't it? It's the same here in BC, and despite us having gas priced only 10 cents behind Nfld. (abt. $1.21 per ℓ now), I rarely hear people tell me they go to the states for that purpose alone. As a bonus reason it's fine though. Being in the city should mean you don't have to drive much. I even calculated that the current Nfld. gas price would only cost me about $3 to $4 extra per month.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 11:47 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
The cost of going to N.H. would probably negate any savings wouldn't it? It's the same here in BC, and despite us having gas priced only 10 cents behind Nfld. (abt. $1.21 per ℓ now), I rarely hear people tell me they go to the states for that purpose alone. As a bonus reason it's fine though. Being in the city should mean you don't have to drive much. I even calculated that the current Nfld. gas price would only cost me about $3 to $4 extra per month.
Yupp, people will go to great lengths to 'save' $5-8 on gasoline and then think nothing of stopping in at some coffee shop to buy their usual latte/frappe/crappe whatever coffee. It is all quite amusing.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Yupp, people will go to great lengths to 'save' $5-8 on gasoline and then think nothing of stopping in at some coffee shop to buy their usual latte/frappe/crappe whatever coffee. It is all quite amusing.
That's because the latter is an item of conspicuous consumption. Nobody judges you (even if in your own mind) on what kind of gasoline you put in your vehicle.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 1:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I think Lio has to go down to NH regularly for his work anyway.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, doing the round trip only for that (always from Sherbrooke, BTW) would negate the savings, but I often go for various reasons (taking care of my black walnut plantation, monitoring what new mischief my beavers are up to, saying hi to my father in law).

Sometimes I also have to go to the nearest TD Bank which is in Barton, VT so that's another opportunity to fill up outside Quebec (and bring back extra fuel as always).

All things considered, I rarely have to fill up in Quebec.

A few years ago though I went to Derby Line every Sunday morning using the old road (route 143) as an enjoyable countryside roadtrip because I was angry over an unjust ticket the provincial police had given me, and I had vowed to do that until I had paid myself back double the amount of that ticket through avoiding Quebec gas taxes. Took a couple months. Worked as planned.

Back then the dollar was at par and gas was more expensive, I had calculated I was "paid" about $8-$10 net an hour for roadtripping on Sunday mornings.

Now the hourly rate would be lower than that, though.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think Lio has to go down to NH regularly for his work anyway.
It's a pretty loose definition of "for my work" but technically it's true.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 7:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

107.9 in Gatineau these days.

BTW, I calculated that if the NL tax hike were in effect here, it would cost me about 50 bucks extra per month.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 12:44 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
They do. And although this is the case everywhere, it seems to be somewhat exaggerated for us: any rise in fuel costs immediately translates into higher costs for everything, which all has to be shipped/trucked here. It's only a few dollars at the gas station, but it's a few cents or dollars more on literally everything else you buy, from paper clips, to cauliflower, to furniture.
Everything has to be shipped everywhere.

Gas is either $1.259 or $1.179. All the Shell and Petro-Canada stations are uniformly at $1.259 in the city. (Every Shell station went to $1.259 at 2pm yesterday, and it made the news). Superstore is the cheapest in city limits (they're our version of Costco until we get a real Costco), they're always one cent less then the next cheapest gas station in the city. They're $1.169.

Every single gas station in the city is supplied by the same Suncor storage facility in the south end, so it dictates the city's prices. They all go up and down with uniformity, and typically do so just as gas is being delivered to the facility by boat or train. We're usually about 8 cents higher than the rest of the country, since we're the end of the line for virtually everything that is shipped here.

$1.069 to $1.089 on the reserve, which has 900 people and three gas stations right now. It had 5 or 6 a year ago, not sure why they closed.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 2:34 AM
Heart of the Continent

Gas has touched 113.9 at some Winnipeg gas stations. I'm currently running 112.9. My bulk dealer is on allocations, and gas is a scarce resource at the moment.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 10:01 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The Public Utilities Board raised the legal maximum price for gasoline to $1.362 on the Avalon (highest in two years), and up to $1.44 in other areas of the province. Diesel and home heating fuel were also raised.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 7:49 PM

Currently sitting at $1.37.8 out here.

Come on Dwight, time to scrap that extra tax now... please?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 7:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

It's been 102.3 or 102.9 for weeks here, it seems.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 9:33 PM

Gased up yesterday in WR............regular $1.26

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 9:38 PM
HVAC guru

'Bout a buck here in Edmonton. Filled the truck up for the first time since Nov. 3.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada