HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 3:52 PM

Jim Stevenson Ward 3 Alderman mentions in the Northern Hills Community Association (NHCA) latest newsletter that 96th Avenue NE /Deerfoot/Airport Trail connecter will be open in September. This is a great news, but it looks like lot more finishing work to complete in a short time if they are to open it in September.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 6:11 AM

can anyone explain to me why there always seems to be trains running between 7 and 8 am and 3 to 4 pm ?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 6:49 AM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane_guy View Post
can anyone explain to me why there always seems to be trains running between 7 and 8 am and 3 to 4 pm ?
Confirmation bias, mostly.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 1:03 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Because trains have places to go?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 8:23 PM

Quote:
IIRC base operating plan did have a train scheduled to go through Calgary at those times. I do remember the 3-4pm train (actually the train was pretty much always 4-4:10pm) as it would shake GCS as it went by, I always thought this was a tip of the hat from the engineer to rail control.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 1:19 AM
I'm the bear on the right

This vid was making the rounds on Twitter this afternoon after the storm blew in. This sign gantry on SB Deerfoot before 32nd Ave. became dangerous as a result of the winds.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 2:00 AM

That sign is just grooving to some bangin' Bhangra beats!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 4:06 AM
Closed account

Does anyone know what the earthworks is on the west side of Crowchild Trail, between Bow Trail and 17th avenue, in that dog park? Just curious. It looked like a storage place for excess soil from some project (Westbrook LRT?) but now it looks packed down, maybe permanent?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
Does anyone know what the earthworks is on the west side of Crowchild Trail, between Bow Trail and 17th avenue, in that dog park? Just curious. It looked like a storage place for excess soil from some project (Westbrook LRT?) but now it looks packed down, maybe permanent?
City is doing some improvements to the park there. Sound berm is a part of it.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 2:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
City is doing some improvements to the park there. Sound berm is a part of it.
Interesting, thanks! I wonder how effective a sound berm is there when the surrounding houses are so high.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 3:27 PM

I think the berm is more for the benefit of park users than the houses.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 4:05 PM
Closed account

Makes sense, thanks.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 5:47 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
Interesting, thanks! I wonder how effective a sound berm is there when the surrounding houses are so high.
I drove by yesterday and noticed that for the first time. My thoughts are the same as yours!!

I imagine when the whole bow/crow interchange is re-done that park will get nicely torn up!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 5:52 PM
Here and There

This was funded by the community. They have been raising funds for YEARS. There will be sound wall on top of the berm. The height was calculated with sections showing the houses and cars. The plan is to deflect some of the noise, not all. The wheelchair access ramp will also be re-done (I think) as it is no where near meeting the barrier-free standards. This project has been ongoing for 7 years when the preliminary plans were sketched. The project was then taken over by another entity so hopefully it all turns out ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
I drove by yesterday and noticed that for the first time. My thoughts are the same as yours!!

I imagine when the whole bow/crow interchange is re-done that park will get nicely torn up!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 12:31 AM

edit

Last edited by crane_guy; Aug 29, 2016 at 12:39 AM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 12:48 AM

Last edited by crane_guy; Apr 19, 2017 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 1:42 AM

Quote:
i have been stuck many times in "rush hour" as a train crosses Glenmore trail, Barlow trail, ect. is it really necessary for trains to operate at these times ?
As an example are they running at 8 am because they are restricted to run before 8 am? noise bylaw? or is done to arrive at the destination at a certain time ? maybe simply because the shift starts at 7 am ?
i know trains don't only depart and arrive at rush hour, Since we don't want to build bridges over railway tracks on major routes, why cant they be restricted for a few hours at high traffic times ?
do commercial trucks have any similar restrictions ?
Unfortunately the city has very little say in when trains can run at glenmore crossing as it is on the mainline. Rail is federally regulated so the best the city can do if it can't afford to build overpasses is say pretty pretty please. For Barlow the same is true its just that CP/CN (can't remember whose line it is right there) would actually take a moment to listen to the city's pleading rather than the mainline where we would be laughed out of the room nice and quick. Besides we need to build Karma with one of them in order to maybe, perhaps be able to convince I believe CP to allow up to use their track for a commuter system some time in the future.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 3:07 AM

Restricting movement for a couple hours is a huge cost to the railways through Calgary, especially if we are talking about the CP mainline. It is at close to maximum capacity (they recently or are currently spending millions on a debottlenecking project to add capacity for three more trains a day) so if the city had the power it would really hurt the railway.

It may seem annoying at time, but there is a reason railways have the powers they do.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 4:20 AM
Construction Enthusiast

The new CN intermodal yard will greatly reduce the number of Barlow and 52nd Street trains, since the majority of CN trains won't be entering the city.

The new 52nd St bridge goes over the CP mainline. That pretty much just leaves the CP mainline/Glenmore Trail as a problem crossing, and hopefully that one is taken care of in the next few years too.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 2:36 PM
Home of Hyperchange

We have level crossings for trains in this city??

I'm only half-kidding, too. In my 9 years here I think I've been stuck waiting for a train once, and that was off 9th Ave at the one crossing that isn't an underpass. For a city that was (is?) a rail hub, I'm astounded at how few trains I actually see - and how I virtually never get stuck because of them.

Contrast this to other Canadian rail centres where it's not uncommon to be stuck waiting for a train once a week.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure