HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I took my semi-annual trip north to the Domain this weekend. It is definitely a congested spot. But there was a traffic cop directing both cars and people at at least one of the busiest intersections. The congestion mostly affects the cars though as they have to wait for the throngs of people crossing the street at every corner. But there is plenty of parking in the parking garages on the edges of the Domain, and I don't know why people insist on driving through the congestion.
I have never had trouble just parking at the blue garage regardless of where in the domain I am going and then just spending a couple minutes walking.

Although they recently put up the "no overnight parking" signs, which is a bit concerning, because sometimes I get drunk at that rooftop club with all the white leather and purple lights (I call it the leather club, not sure what it's actually called), and then leave my car and take a Lyft home. Not sure what I'm supposed to do now.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexal View Post
I have never had trouble just parking at the blue garage regardless of where in the domain I am going and then just spending a couple minutes walking.

Although they recently put up the "no overnight parking" signs, which is a bit concerning, because sometimes I get drunk at that rooftop club with all the white leather and purple lights (I call it the leather club, not sure what it's actually called), and then leave my car and take a Lyft home. Not sure what I'm supposed to do now.
Take Lyft to the club.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Take Lyft to the club.
Then there's no opportunity for people to see me pulling up in a Porsche. I park in the Blue Garage because I can't compete with the Ferraris and Bentleys on Rock Rose, but I have a leg ahead of the BMWs and Mercedes in the Blue Garage.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 11:43 PM

Well heck, I might as well leave my Honda Civic in Round Rock.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 11:55 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

No point in taking my Ford Fusion lol. If they had a Metrorail stop I'd be more inclined to go but they don't.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 3:26 PM

Most people probably know this but the 803 bus stops close to the Rock Rose area.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 4:24 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith_atx View Post
Most people probably know this but the 803 bus stops close to the Rock Rose area.
I am one of the few who didn't know that, but I'd prefer Metrorail simply because it's more fun riding a train than a bus.

I will be making my yearly pilgrimage up to the Domain in about two weeks to take advantage of the sales of getting rid of last year's stock.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 8:42 PM

Quote:
The site plan for the two seven-story Broadmoor Block F apartment buildings was posted for AULCC.
Do either of these buildings have ground floor retail? It would be great if they get started with mixed uses from the start of the new buildout. These should be starting soon, I drive by there around once a week and it will be bittersweet when they start to take out those trees.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 5:40 PM

This channel has been quietly lately. I have very little to report from my end outside of the frustrating people are feeling from the construction that is now surrounding 045 (they fenced off the area for what is now called Tower 3). All the surface parking is gone except a few in front for handicap/visitor (required). The noise and fumes entering certain parts of the building and monitors shaking in certain sections due to the jackhammering. It will be interesting when the only way to the parking garage is off brake and COA has started the braker/burnet improvements (Summer 2020).

One thing to add for those not around here. They are completing a concrete trail around the north side drainage pond. Its the pond by facebook/vrbo/amazon. There was talk in the past if they might do it and looks like its getting done now.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 6:38 PM

All that construction around 045 has got to be affecting productivity for the employees still working there. I personally would have a blast watching all the activity which is why I probably wouldn't get much work done. It's too bad they didn't relocate everyone working there beforehand so they could have demo'd 045 during the surrounding construction. As far as the pond on the north side. Bravo. I figured they would make it a usable water feature. There are too few in dense areas like the Domain and upper downtown, aside from the lake. They have a calming effect especially when a fountain is incorporated. For me, nothing calms my nerves better than listening to the waves crashing on shore on the beach. The sound of a waterfall or large fountain comes in a close second and will have to do for now until Austin becomes a coastal city in a few hundred years.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:07 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
The sound of a waterfall or large fountain comes in a close second and will have to do for now until Austin becomes a coastal city in a few hundred years.
It will likely be sooner than that at the rate we are warming the planet.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It will likely be sooner than that at the rate we are warming the planet.
Off topic, but there are some who predict Florida will succumb to the ocean first.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Off topic, but there are some who predict Florida will succumb to the ocean first.
yeah and they all bought waterfront homes on the beach lol

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 6:10 PM

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 3:25 AM
Love Austin

Fun pic! Really hope that's not new surface parking going in on the right. Still not getting some of the land planning around the Domain. So many missing sidewalks, surface parking around the new Westin, just dropping the ball in more ways than I'd expect.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
Fun pic! Really hope that's not new surface parking going in on the right. Still not getting some of the land planning around the Domain. So many missing sidewalks, surface parking around the new Westin, just dropping the ball in more ways than I'd expect.
That is surface parking. Not sure if its for IBM or Bowen or both. I doubt it will be there very long.

Stonelake Phase3 shows surface parking there along with Towers 1,2,3,4, Flatiron, Domain Place and Bowen.

Stonelake Phase4, concept when 045 is gone, shows another bowen like tower where the new surface parking is.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 5:23 PM

The Broadmoor Block L site plan went into the review phase and more info was added. The office building floor counts are confirmed to be 19-stories and 25-stories. There will be a separate parking structure and some retail. This is the Block L location:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=760258

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 7:33 PM

Quote:
The Broadmoor Block L site plan went into the review phase and more info was added. The office building floor counts are confirmed to be 19-stories and 25-stories. There will be a separate parking structure and some retail. This is the Block L location:

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=760258
They need the rail station worked out to actually build that tall, don't they?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
They need the rail station worked out to actually build that tall, don't they?
Yes. That is frequently pointed out when the Block L office buildings are mentioned. But it takes a year to get a large project site plan approved which will be active for another three years, and site plans are easily extended for more years after that. So there is plenty of time to build the rail station. Also, the 25-story office tower is the only Block L building that can't be built before the rail station.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Yes. That is frequently pointed out when the Block L office buildings are mentioned. But it takes a year to get a large project site plan approved which will be active for another three years, and site plans are easily extended for more years after that. So there is plenty of time to build the rail station. Also, the 25-story office tower is the only Block L building that can't be built before the rail station.
The prior height limit was 180 feet. Is that really tall enough for 19 stories?

Mostly I was hoping this meant we'd start to see the results of the TIF station funding study staff was supposed to be doing, which was supposed to be due any time now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin