HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 6:00 AM

Why is the Microsoft sign on the Howe street sign being removed? Or was it being put back?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:39 AM

Noticed that too - not sure why.
But there's also plywood on the roof near the Georgia & Granville sign too - as if work will be done on that one too.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 8:10 AM

Seems like they left the brackets so maybe they are just fixing the letters?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 8:17 AM

Not sure, although I have noticed that the brackets are visible behind the lettering
(i.e. maybe they're painting the brackets to hide them, but that shouldn't require removal of the letters)

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Not sure, although I have noticed that the brackets are visible behind the lettering
(i.e. maybe they're painting the brackets to hide them, but that shouldn't require removal of the letters)
The sign will be replaced on the facade, just redoing some wiring to the sign.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
The sign will be replaced on the facade, just redoing some wiring to the sign.
If by off chance you're involved in the project, can you get them to paint out the silver support brackets so they don't show between the letters?!?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 9:49 PM

Pic by me today - scaffold coming down:

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 10:43 PM
life in the present

thanks officedweller!! So glad to see this change, the old 80's entrance with the crappy awning was awful, huge improvement!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 11:04 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
thanks officedweller!! So glad to see this change, the old 80's entrance with the crappy awning was awful, huge improvement!
Total agreement on that, if I may.
What I don't care for, and would like to see changed is the color of the TD building itself to something brighter; lighter, maybe reflective. I know many will disagree with this, and perhaps raise the question of the similarly clad IBM tower portion next door, but is it perhaps an OK, appropriate moment to discuss redoing the tower exterior, or is it not? To readers to decide, of course, but due to the city center location, might be worth discussing further.
Thank you.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 11:18 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Total agreement on that, if I may.
What I don't care for, and would like to see changed is the color of the TD building itself to something brighter; lighter, maybe reflective. I know many will disagree with this, and perhaps raise the question of the similarly clad IBM tower portion next door, but is it perhaps an OK, appropriate moment to discuss redoing the tower exterior, or is it not? To readers to decide, of course, but due to the city center location, might be worth discussing further.
Thank you.
I love the colour of the TD Tower and the IBM Tower, I wish the city had allowed the Canaccord Tower to be clad in the same colour. The reason I love it is because, to me, it makes clear reference to Mies van der Rohe's Toronto Dominion Centre of the same era, although not nearly as outstanding a design. Cesar Pelli's design was, I'm sure, heavily influenced by the Toronto Dominion Centre. The dark colour also pays homage to Mr. Pelli, so we should leave it alone.

Some good info on it here : https://changingvancouver.wordpress....g/cesar-pelli/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 12:28 AM
retro_orange

I'm hoping for more warm tone tinted windows in the city tbh...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 12:40 AM

On the inside, the entrance and escalators look very much like the Robson/Granville entrance. Will there no longer be any retail at that corner?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
I'm hoping for more warm tone tinted windows in the city tbh...
Park Place is a good example of that. Plus, the warm pink granite makes it glow at sunset. The foot of Burrard has one in brick with golden windows. Be nice to see an MNP derivation in copper or brass. Also, nicket, as in the Bank ofCanada building foot of Burrard, makes a bright white reflective mirror. Enough green glass, already. Vancouver enters a new era of stone, NYC-inspired towers, as on Alberni, 1400 block. And buildings in solid, finely articulated stone for maturity and a feeling of historic richness, even if it is cooked up a bit. Oops, getting off-thread a bit. Back to PC.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
On the inside, the entrance and escalators look very much like the Robson/Granville entrance. Will there no longer be any retail at that corner?
That's what I'm curious about.

++++++++++++

Since this is a Pacific Centre thread, I should repost my Canaccord tower pics here from the downtown thread
- and that'll keep this thread alive...

Taken June 6th:

Quote:
Pics by me today:

Canaccord Tower reclad seems to have started:

There seem to be vertical spandrel panels, which may make the building look taller than it is (vertical emphasis).

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 2:43 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Park Place is a good example of that. Plus, the warm pink granite makes it glow at sunset. The foot of Burrard has one in brick with golden windows. Be nice to see an MNP derivation in copper or brass. Also, nicket, as in the Bank ofCanada building foot of Burrard, makes a bright white reflective mirror. Enough green glass, already. Vancouver enters a new era of stone, NYC-inspired towers, as on Alberni, 1400 block. And buildings in solid, finely articulated stone for maturity and a feeling of historic richness, even if it is cooked up a bit. Oops, getting off-thread a bit. Back to PC.
True, as much as I'm not a fan of 80's and 90's buildings, they do add some colour and warmth (in some cases). There are areas in the city that have been developed as all white, grey and seafoam and they desperately need some colour or warmth to break them up.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 2:45 AM
retro_orange

Quote:

++++++++++++

Since this is a Pacific Centre thread, I should repost my Canaccord tower pics here from the downtown thread
- and that'll keep this thread alive...

Taken June 6th:
Should look better! Still lacking a bit of colour... (I'm turning into the colour police)

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 5:18 PM

From Granville twitter yesterday:

Summer opening for Pacific Centre's new 'high traffic' entrance facing Granville at City Centre #Vancouver #Retail
https://twitter.com/GranvilleStreet

Summer opening for Pacific Centre's new 'high traffic' entrance facing Granville at City Centre #Vancouver #Retail
https://twitter.com/GranvilleStreet

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Retail will be returning to that space yes. Nothing to announce yet but stay tuned.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 9:34 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
I love the colour of the TD Tower and the IBM Tower, I wish the city had allowed the Canaccord Tower to be clad in the same colour. The reason I love it is because, to me, it makes clear reference to Mies van der Rohe's Toronto Dominion Centre of the same era, although not nearly as outstanding a design. Cesar Pelli's design was, I'm sure, heavily influenced by the Toronto Dominion Centre. The dark colour also pays homage to Mr. Pelli, so we should leave it alone.

Some good info on it here : https://changingvancouver.wordpress....g/cesar-pelli/
I love the colour. It's dramatic and it anchors the financial district. Of course, I'd prefer that it were completely black, not brown.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 8:15 PM

OK since everyone is a design expert on this site, I'd like your input. Which glass do you think would be most appropriate on the Canaccord Tower (609 Granville) Re-clad?

Left, Centre Left, Centre Right, or Right

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver